JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What can an 'Comcast' (w/JP1 pins) do for me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:
Quote:
I am totally lost. Definitely more research is needed on my part. I don't even know if I understand enough to know what questions to ask.
Even if you don't have a cable, you can find a lot of useful information here.

There is a File Section that contains the results of other peoples searching and setting up a remote for many, many devices. The section for TVs is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23 You can look through this list and possibly find your exact TV and model. Even if you don't find your exact model, look at similar models from the same manufacturer. To display that file, you will need a program that understands the file. If the file you want to look at is identified as RM then you will need Remote Master to examine it. If the file is KM then either Keymap-master or RemoteMaster will do the job.

You can find both of these fine programs, and a wealth of information, in this post: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009

When you use either of these programs to examine the file you downloaded, you want to look at the "Functions" tab to see what functions have been found and documented for your device. In the column "EFC" you will find the code that can be entered and tested to see if it works on your specifc TV.

I hope that helps.
kupakai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:
I am totally lost. Definitely more research is needed on my part. I don't even know if I understand enough to know what questions to ask.

It doesn't make too much difference since you are trying to control a Sony TV, which most remotes have a working setup code for, but first, which remote do you have? Is it the one with the red "Select/OK" button in the middle of the arrow keys, or is it grey? Does it have PIP function buttons on the bottom?

Second, you can use keymove function (the 994 programming) and advanced codes to program in a function (discrete or otherwise) to a button on the remote, as you said. But vickyg2003 is talking about a function where the remote can send an ir signal by just typing in the advanced code without having to program the the code in to a button. You can send the signal by doing the following:

1. Find a setup code that will at least partially control the TV (try TV/0000, or TV/10000 if your remote takes 5 digit setup codes).
2. Press and release TV device key
3. Press and release SETUP
4. Type in the advanced code for the function. For example, try 00034 for Video 1.

When you press the last digit of the advanced code, the remote will send the signal, so point it to the device or the remote you are trying to teach and keep it pressed until the device reacts or the remote signals it finished learning.

If the above works for you, the other advanced codes you might try are:
video2 = 00030
video3 = 00032
video4 = 00029
video5 = 00162
video6 = 00158
Repeat steps 3-4 and type in the code above in step 4.

Two issues to keep in mind. I've heard that some of the newer, less expensive Sony TVs do not have discrete functions, so some discrete functions you find here or anywhere else might not work on some models. The other issue is that with the setup code above (TV/0000) you might not be able to get Video 7 and Video 8 discrete if your TV has those inputs. They use a slightly different ir signal (technically, same protocol, but a different device number) that the setup code TV/0000 cannot generate. There is a way to generate those ir signal however, but it requires using a setup code for different device and looking up some things in a chart of device codes. I can show you how to do that once you get comfortable with the above steps. This all probably sound complicated, and it would be easier to just get a cable to upload an upgrade file, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult.
burchis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai wrote:

It doesn't make too much difference since you are trying to control a Sony TV, which most remotes have a working setup code for, but first, which remote do you have? Is it the one with the red "Select/OK" button in the middle of the arrow keys, or is it grey? Does it have PIP function buttons on the bottom?

Thanks for all of this detailed information.

To confirm- I do have the red 'Select/OK' button with five pip buttons at the bottom. As stated earlier, the printing on the circuit board next to the 6 pin connector says '1 JP'. My first concern is- is this a JP1 remote, or JP1.3 as Vicki mentioned?

My TV is a Sony WEGA KDF-46E2000.

Thanks to everyone that has offered help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S an upgrade for your tv. As kupakai said, video 7 and 8 may not work with key presses, but will certainly work if you load the upgrade with a cable. Device code 11100 might also work, if your remote has it. This may not make any sense to you, but FYI, video 7 = 00024 and video 8 = 00247, which use two different sony device codes (specifically Sony15 protocol, devices 151 and 119 respectively).

Last edited by mdavej on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To confirm- I do have the red 'Select/OK' button with five pip buttons at the bottom. As stated earlier, the printing on the circuit board next to the 6 pin connector says '1 JP'.

The 1 you are seeing is the lable on Pin 1. All of the Red button ok/select with PIP buttons that I've seen have been JP1.3. I have a box full of them. The only way to be 100% certain is to download from the remote, but I its a 99% chance that this is a JP1.3 remote.

I've found that the best way to understand this stuff is to get your hands dirty. Try the codes that kupakai suggested.
burchis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

The 1 you are seeing is the lable on Pin 1. All of the Red button ok/select with PIP buttons that I've seen have been JP1.3. I have a box full of them. The only way to be 100% certain is to download from the remote, but I its a 99% chance that this is a JP1.3 remote.

I've found that the best way to understand this stuff is to get your hands dirty. Try the codes that kupakai suggested.

Thanks Vicky, the light is starting to come on now, although just dimly.
burchis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
HERE'S an upgrade for your tv.

I was able to send some direct commands via my comcast 'red ok/select' remote. I am beginning to understand more. My remote accepts 5 digits for program base and direct commands.

My TV does have a video input 7 and 8. And video 7 is one that I use for my HDMI cable. As you suspected, I wasn't able to send a discrete code for either of these inputs. Everything else that I need is available though.

I tried 11100 and then your 00024 but only got me to widescreen display. Is there a way to know if my remote works with base 11100?

Any other ideas on how to select video input 7 besides using a cable?
kupakai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:
My TV does have a video input 7 and 8. And video 7 is one that I use for my HDMI cable. As you suspected, I wasn't able to send a discrete code for either of these inputs. Everything else that I need is available though.

I tried 11100 and then your 00024 but only got me to widescreen display. Is there a way to know if my remote works with base 11100?

Try this. Set the TV setup code to TV/11317. The remote should blink twice. If not, the remote doesn't have that code, and we will do it a different way (only a few of the most recent remotes have this code, and if the Insight remote you have is the same as the Comcast 1067BX3, it should have it). Use the steps I outlined above and use the following advanced codes:

video 7 = 20524
video 8 = 12075
video 9 = 12587

I got these from mdavej's upgrade file and changed the remote to Comcast JP1.3 remote to get the 5 digit advanced codes. TV/11317 setup code needs to be used to match the protocol with what is being used in the upgrade file so that the advanced code (or EFC) is calculated correctly.
kupakai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:

Now I guess I'm in the market for a JP1.3 cable or maybe instructions on how to make my own.

Just in case you haven't found the answer to this part yet, Tommy Tyler, who designed most of the JP1 interfaces sells his latest ones here for USB ports. DIY Gadget and Interface place sell serial JP1.2 cables as well, although, Interface Place's website says it's a JP1.x cable and there seems to be some problems with JP1.x cable and JP1.3 remotes.

If you want to make it yourself, the instruction is here. This serial design will work with USB to serial adapters. Also, make the JP1.2 version, and not the JP1.x version for your JP1.3 remote for the reason above, and it's two less component you have to solder.
Also look over this post
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:

Here are all the sony tv codes I know of which may be worth trying: 10017, 10154, 11100, 10000, 10150, 10053, 10080, 10834, 11904.

Beyond that, I don't have any other ideas. But what you found is interesting. It means that code 11100 seems to work on your remote and is Sony15 device 164, which means surround 00197, wide 00167 (or 00024) and twin view 00053 should also work (if your tv has twin view).

Maybe someone else has a solution.
burchis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai wrote:

Try this. Set the TV setup code to TV/11317. The remote should blink twice. If not, the remote doesn't have that code, and we will do it a different way (only a few of the most recent remotes have this code, and if the Insight remote you have is the same as the Comcast 1067BX3, it should have it). Use the steps I outlined above and use the following advanced codes:

video 7 = 20524
video 8 = 12075
video 9 = 12587

Thank you, thank you!

Video input 7 worked great but could not verify inputs 8 or 9. My TV only supports video 1-7. I thought it went to 8 but mistaken. Thank you for all your reference and help.
burchis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What can a 'Comcast' (w/JP1 pins) do for me. Reply with quote

burchis wrote:
I was digging around my arsenal of old remotes and came across an Insight Remote that has the 6 pin connector in the battery compartment. It has AUX, TV, Cable, Power, & Setup buttons across the top. Is this remote usable with my Dish Satellite, Sony TV, Sony DVD player, and JVC Receiver?

This post was inadvertently posted while attempting to make an edit. My apologies to those members that have responded subsequently.

From my point of view, the author, this thread is completed.

I do want to thank everyone for their contributions.

Last edited by burchis on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this remote usable with my Dish Satellite, Sony TV, Sony DVD player, and JVC Receiver?

Will this remote 4 devices? Yes, the JP1.3 1067b has a 4th phantom but you need a cable to gain access to it.

Will this remote control a Dish Satelite? Its my understanding that Dish Satelite is an RF device, not an IR device. If it doesn't support IR signals, then no universal remote will support it.

Will it control my Sony TV? I think you've found the answer is yes even without a cable.

Will it control my Sony DVD player JVC Receiver? Yes, but you might need a cable. If you don't have the manual, check out the OFA site to see what codes they recommend.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Will this remote control a Dish Satelite? Its my understanding that Dish Satelite is an RF device, not an IR device. If it doesn't support IR signals, then no universal remote will support it.
Although the OP is done with this line of questions, I wanted to clarify the Dish question.

Dish Network receivers use IR/RF remote controls. They respond to both IR (which JP1 tools can of course replicate) and RF DIRECTLY (which NO universal remote can replicate). To my knowledge, there is only one circumstance in which Dish Networks boxes respond to the RF ONLY, and that is for the second tuner of a dual-tuner box. (which sucks Crying or Very sad )

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: