JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beginners - PLEASE read this thread first.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Beginners - PLEASE read this thread first. Reply with quote

The JP1 how-to's and software tools can be found at the links below. For best results, please make sure you are using the latest versions of the tools, and take the time to read any included documentation (readme files, installation notes, etc).

• JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? - a basic JP1 how-to for the main JP1 tool RM-IR. There are also legacy versions using the KM tool or RM tool.

• JP1 for Beginners - though this is a little outdated, it covers many of the basic JP1 concepts and is a good tutorial into the world of JP1 (a downloadable version is available here).

• Origin and History of JP1 - great Wiki piece written by Tommy Tyler

• The WHAT and WHY of JP1 - another excellent document for beginners just getting into the world of JP1.

• Choosing The Right JP1 Cable - before you buy, or build, a JP1 cable, read this doc to make sure you get the right type. To build your own, check out these Interface Designs.

• Having Problems Using Your Parallel JP1 Cable? - if your new JP1 cable doesn't seem to be working, this doc describes some tricks that you can use with the batteries to try and make it work.

• IR.exe - the program used to communicate with the remote using a JP1 Cable.
    • Requires Windows 9x or later (NT, 2k, XP require Admin rights).
    • Requires a JP1 Interface to communicate with the remote
    • Requires the RDF Files below.

• KM (keymap-master) - Excel spreadsheet used to create and edit Device Upgrades files. Once loaded into KM, these are copied into IR to upload to the remote.
    • Requires Excel 97 or later.
    • Will NOT work with any other spreadsheet software (ie, Open Office, etc)

• RM (RemoteMaster) - Java-based application used to create and edit Device Upgrade files. Once loaded into RM, these are copied into IR to upload to the remote.

• NOTE: you can use either KM or RM to create Device Upgrade files... you do not need both.
  • RDF Files - Remote Definition Files required by IR and RM. (Some aditional RDFs can be found here).
  • Maps and Images - Remote Images required by RM.

• Want to post a screen shot? - this doc describes how.

• Other tools and miscellaneous files can be found in the File Section.

Last edited by Mark Pierson on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: There's no need for "Please don't flame me" posts Reply with quote

I know some online user groups can be brutal in their treatment of newbies, but most new comers seem to find the JP1 group very hospitable and informative. So don't feel shy about asking your questions, just don't insult us by asking us not to flame you.

If there is any hostile activity I will deal with it immediately myself (I am the group owner).

We do ask that you read the basic stuff first before you post what might be a very frequently asked question.

For example, before you ask "Does anyone have the code for a XXXXXX", please read the #1 Code Search FAQ thread, then post your question in the Code Search forum and use the provided template.

Before you ask "OK, so my JP1 cable arrived, what next?" please read JP1 - How Easy Is It?

You'll find other useful info in the various sticky threads at the top of each forum.

When you do post your question, please include as much info as possible as it will save us alot of time and you'll get your answer quicker. For starters, please tell us which JP1 remote you are using. Please tell us the brand and model of the device you are trying to control, and also tell us what sort a device it is as we don't know whether a Sony ABC-123 is a TV, VCR, DVD player, etc. If you have found a setup code that works at least a few functions for the device in question, please tell us what it is. If we ask you for more information, don't take offense, just give us the extra info and we'll try to help you.

Remember also that this pledge to be polite and fair works both ways. Here is a very good example of how NOT to start your JP1 experience...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3392

We're a friendly group here, so come on in and join in the fun.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across an absolutely EXCELLENT document that explains how to get the most from online forums. While the document talks about hacking (as in Linux, etc) it totally applies to remote hacking.

Speaking as one of the experts here, I can absolutely validate many of the things spelled out in the document about how some newbies can appear to be "losers". Experience gives you a very good "gut feel" for when a poster is going to be a useless "sponge" and should be ignored.

I strongly recommend that all newcomers read this, especially if you are somewhat afraid to post a question about your problem for fear of being flamed or worse, ignored.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just split all the questions from this thread so as not to clutter it up.

The split thread is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13317

I will move any questions that may get posted here in the future to that thread also.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any objections to changing the 'How Easy Is It' line to make RM-IR the default with the other guides as secondary reading?

xnappo
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
Any objections to changing the 'How Easy Is It' line to make RM-IR the default with the other guides as secondary reading?

xnappo

Made the change..

xnappo
FordAnglia

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Need help with your FAQ files (Yahoo Group) Reply with quote

Greetnigs,

I'm a new member, working my way through the FAQ. I'm stalled on this page:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/faq/10118111.shtml

Looks like I don't have access the JP1 Yahoo Group, and it is not visible in a search. Is the group by invitation only (how?), or has it moved (where?)

Thanks In Advance,

Peter Stonard (FordAnglia)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yahoo group was closed more than a decade ago and all relevant data moved here at that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: