JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with ir.exe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Help with ir.exe Reply with quote

When I download from my remote (8811) to ir.exe, where are the data indicating the key commands for the active devices? There is no data on the device tab.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get to see the data for codes that you have added yourself, you don't get to see the data for the codes that are built into the ROM.

The JP1 process only communicates with the EEPROM chip.
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob for your reply. Do most of the oem remotes have rom only? Can the rom be read fairly easly? Is there a library of oem key codes/commands abvailable?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every JP1 remote has both a ROM and an EEPROM. The ROM is the place where all the built-in setup codes are stored (along with the remote's programming, etc). This chip is burned in at the factory and can't be changed by the user.

The EEPROM on the other hand is where all the user programming is stored, so obviously the data on this chip can be changed. This is also where any upgrades are stored.

As for the availability of codes, if you give us a better idea of what you are looking for we might be able to help. But the first place you should look is on the advanced code lists on my site, these are listed by setup code.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
As for the availability of codes...

Though based on the 1994, the devices4.xls spreadsheet is another good resource. And let's not forget the Device Codes section in the JP1 Files area.
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! My ultimate goal is to program a 6131m to control the following: samsung hlm507w tv, explorer 3100hd cable box, bravo d1 dvd, and a replaytv 4080 dvr. Later I will add an audio amp. It's a slog for this old brain, but I am beginning to get it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the starting point isn't built in codes that you have already assigned then. In that case, do what Mark suggested and visit our file section, you should find most of what you need there.
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
OK, so the starting point isn't built in codes that you have already assigned then. In that case, do what Mark suggested and visit our file section, you should find most of what you need there.

Do you think I should use the 6131-extender that usblipitor talks about in another thread? I looked at the design plans he mentions, but they only refer to a remote 8810. Also I am now using the device up-dates for my equipment should these be left installed?

Last edited by JohnParks on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so much for tring to get fancy with url's... how should this be setup. How would you copy and paste this from another page?

EDITED - I'll never make a programmer

Last edited by JohnParks on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnParks wrote:
I looked at the design [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/28309 url] "plans"[/url] he mentions, but they only refer to a remote 8810.

You've got some extra text after the url before the close bracket.

plans

Also, you can always use the Preview button to see if it is going to come out the way you want, assuming you use "Post Reply" instead of "Quick Reply"
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnParks wrote:
Do you think I should use the 6131-extender that usblipitor talks about in another thread? I looked at the design plans he mentions, but they only refer to a remote 8810. Also I am now using the device up-dates for my equipment should these be left installed?

Personally, I recommend learning to walk before you try to run. Start with trying to load existing upgrades or create new ones first, using either KM (Excel) or RM (Java). Then, if you decide you want macros on the device buttons or something, give the extender a whirl. BUT, you must use the right extender for the right remote. You can't use the 6131-extender in a URC-8811
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those plans running on a 6012, a 8810w, an RS15-2117, and my favorite, the 6131m.

you have to use the right extender for the right remote. you have to use dev_tv instead of x-tv in some extenders. in some extenders, the ldkp comes with the extender, in others you have to install it yourself (easy).

I agree with Rob. Go with the non-extended remote for a few weeks, just gathering all your device upgrades and personalizing them so the remote works the way you want (functions on the keys you want). Later, when you add the extender, these customizations you made will carry over.

-Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: