JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Power Button in Home Theater Mode (8811)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruskal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Power Button in Home Theater Mode (8811) Reply with quote

Is there any way to assign a code to the Power button when in Home Theater mode? I have Home Theater set so it makes sense for the vast majority of uses EXCEPT for the Power button -- it does nothing and it should control the TV. I am using the URC-8811.

Thanks -- Vincent
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using JP1?

I think the Home Theater Mode of all OneForAll models is basically brain dead. The concept is great, but each model gets a few details SO wrong that it wrecks most of the value. Since I never use a remote without an "extender" I forget which brain dead HT features are in which models. Some models make the power key entirely useless in HT mode. But I don't recall if the 8811 is one of those.

If you want Home Theater behavior in the remote (most people commenting on it in various forums don't) then I'm sure you would find the extender's replacement for Home Theater mode is so much better than the built in version that it justifies the effort to install the extender, before even thinking about all the extender's other advantages.

The extender lets you program the power key to do whatever you want it to do in whatever mode. It doesn't invent stupid restrictions like those enforced by the built-in firmware.

If you don't yet have a JP1 cable, and everything but the power button is satisfactory, and you're not a control freak, then you might want to just leave the power button wrong, rather than get a JP1 cable to use to install the extender. (I AM a control freak, so I can't really relate to ever not using JP1 + extender).
Kruskal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Are you using JP1?

I think the Home Theater Mode of all OneForAll models is basically brain dead. The concept is great, but each model gets a few details SO wrong that it wrecks most of the value. Since I never use a remote without an "extender" I forget which brain dead HT features are in which models. Some models make the power key entirely useless in HT mode. But I don't recall if the 8811 is one of those.

If you want Home Theater behavior in the remote (most people commenting on it in various forums don't) then I'm sure you would find the extender's replacement for Home Theater mode is so much better than the built in version that it justifies the effort to install the extender, before even thinking about all the extender's other advantages.

The extender lets you program the power key to do whatever you want it to do in whatever mode. It doesn't invent stupid restrictions like those enforced by the built-in firmware.

If you don't yet have a JP1 cable, and everything but the power button is satisfactory, and you're not a control freak, then you might want to just leave the power button wrong, rather than get a JP1 cable to use to install the extender. (I AM a control freak, so I can't really relate to ever not using JP1 + extender).
I have a JP1 cable, but have only used it to do things with IR which I could have done directly on the 8811.

I looked at a couple of the extenders and the ones I looked at crippled a lot of remote programming features. Do you know a remote which will fix the Home Theater problem while leaving the remote largely the same?

Thanks -- Vincent
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruskal wrote:
I looked at a couple of the extenders and the ones I looked at crippled a lot of remote programming features.
WOW! That's quite a first. I think I can reliably state that I have NEVER seen anyone describe an extender's limitations using the phrase "crippling a lot of .. programming features"! Can you explain a little bit more specifically what your concerns are?

IMHO, here's what the extender gives you:
(1) MASSIVE increase in Keymove/Macro capability (almost all of the learning memory is converted to keymove/macro memory - whilst the loss of learning is not a "crippling" of a feature, since it's still available when you need it. All you really need to use learning for is decoding and subsequent building of an upgrade, obviating the need for learning on a continual basis. Anytime you need to learn, reset the remote, learn-decode - reinstall the extended IR file - easy-peasy)
(2) SUPER-fast macro execution. If you have a macro that powers up your Cable box, Receiver, TV, selects appropriate inputs, etc. You will have to point the remote towards your system for 2-3 times as long without the extender as with (and the difference between 1.5 and 4.5 seconds is HUGE when you're sitting in your couch holding a remote pointed)
(3) Contrary to your assertion, you have MUCH greater flexibility in programming, what with basically unlimited length macros, massive numbers of keymoves, special protocol functions like ToadTog and LKP, the ability to program the Device buttons, and on and on
(3a) In particular, you can create customized "Home Theater" modes for each device in your system using the Keygroups created in extenders. A unique combination of device to keygroup assignments for watching your Cable box, your DVD player, your VCR, and listening to your CD player or radio - EACH of which can be a mix of several devices assigned to different groups of keys.

Obviously your opinion may differ, but I suspect you are truly unaware of the true power of the Dark Side ...uhhh, I mean extender, which, once you understand it, you will find hard to resist, imho.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that he wants to program the remote to give to someone else, in which case they would need to be able to program the remote without JP1.

The only feature that a JP1 user loses by installing the extender is learning, but the only reason that a JP1 user needs learning is as a tool for creating a new upgrade, and they can always un-install the extender when they need to do that.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to disabling learning, don't the extenders also "disable" the 'set 99x' commands?

Of course, JP1 users know that it easier to use IR than it is to use the 'set 99x' commands, but I can see how a novice might construe that as 'crippled'.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Kruskal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It appears I inadvertently stepped on some toes. I probably am being overly cautious, but I am reluctant to get rid of 99X and learning while I am still so new to the RM/IR world.

Just today, I went back to 994 because I was having to run a sequence of experiments to get the code for a button right. For repeated changing of one key, 994 is better than IR.

So, I gather, that there is no small tweak of the Home Theater that anyone has worked out. I just need to grab the bull by the horns or live with the one short coming of my remote.

I do have eight 8811s, so I could afford a halfway leap into the abyss in that sense.

Thanks again -- Vincent
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand that by installing the extender, you aren't really getting rid of the 99x commands or learning.

Those are disabled while the extender is installed and active, but you can always uninstall the extender (temporarily) in order to use the 99x commands or learning. Once you've figured out what you needed to know using the 99x commands and/or learning, you just reinstall the extender.

I assume you already have a saved .IR file of your current configuration. Uninstalling the extender is just a matter of uploading that saved .IR file to your remote.

Installing the extender the first time requires some special step in IR to merge the extender with your current .IR file, producing a new .IR file that includes the extender. Installing the extender in the remote is then just a matter of uploading that extended .IR file to the remote.

So, let's say you've installed the extender, and find you need to use 99x/learning to add some missing commands to your setup.

Upload your unextended .IR file to the remote and do whatever you need to do.

Take whatever information you gathered and adjust your extended .IR file accordingly. Save it, upload it to the remote, and the extender is now ready to be activated and used again.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No toes were stepped on, it's just hard sometimes for people who are used to using JP1 and all of it's tools to remember that some people are scared to try things for the first time.
Kruskal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Understand that by installing the extender, you aren't really getting rid of the 99x commands or learning.

Those are disabled while the extender is installed and active, but you can always uninstall the extender (temporarily) in order to use the 99x commands or learning. Once you've figured out what you needed to know using the 99x commands and/or learning, you just reinstall the extender.

I assume you already have a saved .IR file of your current configuration. Uninstalling the extender is just a matter of uploading that saved .IR file to your remote.

Installing the extender the first time requires some special step in IR to merge the extender with your current .IR file, producing a new .IR file that includes the extender. Installing the extender in the remote is then just a matter of uploading that extended .IR file to the remote.

So, let's say you've installed the extender, and find you need to use 99x/learning to add some missing commands to your setup.

Upload your unextended .IR file to the remote and do whatever you need to do.

Take whatever information you gathered and adjust your extended .IR file accordingly. Save it, upload it to the remote, and the extender is now ready to be activated and used again.
OK, I'll take the leap. Which extender do you recommend?

Thank -- Vincent
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you look through closely at the 8811 extender section in the file area, you'll see that some of the files are readme's or spreadsheet calculators, and some of the extenders are for large EEPROMs. Since you likely have a standard 2K EEPROM, you really have only three to choose from, extender 1.2, 2.4, or 3.3. I haven't used any of them, but a general rule of thumb I follow is:
(1) use the newest (3.3) and/or;
(2) use the one most frequently downloaded (3.3);

So I would try extender 3.3.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the one that I use. Here's my ir file if it helps you (or not). I use the pause protocol, DSM and LKP.

(forgot the link - sorry): http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2372

Eventually I need to add toadtog to keep the receiver in sync with the display input (to mute or not to mute Wink, but I've not gotten to it.

Best,
jeff

Last edited by greenough1 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Take the leap Reply with quote

I just got done the same transition decision, and I quickly realized that I can always revert to the old image with the tools. I will not go back now. The exender is a wonderful thing. It makes you change your paradigm on how to acoomplish some goals, but it is truly a lot more powerful and makes somethings possible that you could not do otherwise. Now I almost have a remote that even my wife can use. Replaces 6 other remotes. Still some tweaking to do, but that's true with whatever higher level remote your get, no matter how expensive. You will enjoy it, but it will also take time to get compfortable with it.

You can always count on a bunch of experienced people helping out here!
Kruskal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Well if you look through closely at the 8811 extender section in the file area, you'll see that some of the files are readme's or spreadsheet calculators, and some of the extenders are for large EEPROMs. Since you likely have a standard 2K EEPROM, you really have only three to choose from, extender 1.2, 2.4, or 3.3. I haven't used any of them, but a general rule of thumb I follow is:
(1) use the newest (3.3) and/or;
(2) use the one most frequently downloaded (3.3);

So I would try extender 3.3.
I did it and it all went smoothly. Actually I did it twice -- for two rooms.

I must confess that I found the instructions for merging with my previous IR file so confusing that I opted to manually redo the 20, or so, key moves which I had.

Thanks to all for pushing me in this direction -- Vincent
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: