JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Partial upgrading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among all my remotes, this one feels the best on hand (the shape and finishing on its bottom). Hopefully UEI will leak the interface for x820 series.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixup wrote:
We have to go this route because direct keymover does not work with learned codes.
All you need to do is learn the missing commands and then use those EFC's to create key moves for the missing built-in commands. Once the key moves are in place, you delete the learned signals. You're not saving anything (in terms of memory usage) by creating a "partial" upgrade (and I'm not really sure what you mean by that) and then key moving that upgrade to supplement the built-in code.

IMHO, if you're going to spend 5 minutes creating a "partial" upgrade, you might as well spend 10 and create a full-blown upgrade fully customized to your liking. That's the whole point of JP1.
Fixup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Keymover and then delete the learned signals might work, I'll try.

The whole point of JP1 is do whatever we want, such as a partial upgrade instead of a full one.

One of the reasones for a partial upgrade: don't have to learn all the buttons and not all buttons can be learned.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point you are missing, is that when we tell you to use learning, we mean use learning to figure out exactly what commands are being sent, which allows you to either build a device upgrade or use a few keymoves to supplement a builtin setup code. At that point the learned signals are deleted.

Only is special circumstances (i.e. running out of keymove/upgrade memory) do we suggest that you use the learned signals to control your devices.

The other point is to always build as complete as possible a device upgrade (at least with all functions filled in, even if you don't assign them all to keys), so that when someone else comes along looking for an upgrade for that device, everything will be there for them, instead of just the functions you felt you wanted to add for how you use your remote.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I'm completely missing something here, or more likely Fixup is.

Q1. If you end goal is to use keymoves, why are you creating an upgrade at all? As long as the protocol and device code used by the learned signals match those used by the partially working setup code (and it's almost certain that they will), why not just use the EFCs gleamed from the learned signals to create keymoves.

Q2. You keep repeating "keymover does not work with learned codes", why do you mean by that? If you mean that you cannot move a function that is learned to button-A over to button-B, then you are correct, but why would you want to? Why not just learn it to button-B in the first place? And even though the remote won't let you move it, you can always change the button in the IR.exe program, if you want to.

Bottom line, in the 2 days that we've been talking about this, you could certainly have created a complete upgrade for all of your devices, which you could then have loaded up and shared with everyone else.

You are right, JP1 does give you the freedom to do whatever you want, so nobody here is trying to tell you what to do, we're just trying to tell you the best way to achieve your goals. Every so often, someone comes along who has just enough pre-conceptions about what's going on, that they get stuck going down the wrong path and it's quite difficult for us to get them to see the light. I have a feel that you are in this position.
Fixup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the JP1 already has most of the buttons working with a remote, why learn all the buttons? If I do want to get the built-in codes to make a full upgrade file, I'd rather use keymover to find out the codes, other than learning.

Note that a partial upgrade file can be shared as well like a full one, the condition is the JP1 already has a built-in setup code for that remote (just some keys are missing).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixup wrote:
If I do want to get the built-in codes to make a full upgrade file, I'd rather use keymover to find out the codes, other than learning.

To each their own, I suppose. I guess that I've just never had the amount of time available to do all those keymoves when learning is so much quicker. I've given this my best shot, so I don't see the point in dragging this out any further.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the time it took to compose all these posts, it could have been done a couple of times, at least!
Fixup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it was not about how to make a specific device to work; it was about ideas of making a partial upgrade. It was not about which takes less time.

Keymover gives the exact key code in the JP1. Key learning may fail and go wrong. For example, try to learn the vol up/down and mute keys from a Samsung HDTV tuner (SIR-T451) and see what you'll get.

Maybe nobody (including myself, except whompus) knew what I was talking about. The bottom line is I'm happy that I made a successful partial upgrade based on whompus' trick.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside: I just added the SIR-T451 to my URC9800. Used the upgrade code in the file. Took all of 10 minutes and it worked perfectly.
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being happy with what you have done is what matters. Trust me though I didn't think of that trick. It came from talking with these guys.

For the samsung you guys are talking about now. If you want vol and mute on it (most don't). I think the codes are vol+ 186 vol- 059 and mute 058.

If those codes are right let me know. I have 4 other codes that are unknown functions at the moment. They may be discretes if you want to test them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixup wrote:
Again, it was not about how to make a specific device to work; it was about ideas of making a partial upgrade. It was not about which takes less time.

OK, assuming you went into this with the sole purpose of figuring out how to make a partial upgrade, the biggest question is WHY? Assuming that all the additional functions that you programmed use the same device code as the main setup code that you're using, what is the point of creating a second "partial" upgrade that has the exact same characteristics as the main setup code? Not only is this a waste of time, it's also a waste of upgrade memory (and I know efficiency is important to you). Bottom line, you could have programmed those keymoves using the main setup code instead of the partial upgrade.

Fixup wrote:
Keymover gives the exact key code in the JP1. Key learning may fail and go wrong. For example, try to learn the vol up/down and mute keys from a Samsung HDTV tuner (SIR-T451) and see what you'll get.

You are correct, if you cannot get learning to work and you have a working setup code, keymover will indeed give you the correct EFC (if you're using an older remote - this won't work on newer remotes like the URC-6131, URC-9960, etc). However, except for problem cases like your Samsung, learning will always be the quicker and easier option over keymoves.

If you don't believe me, just take a look at the programmin sequence...

Learning
1. Hold SETUP, 2 flashes
2. Type 975, 2 flashes
3. Press a button, rapid flashes
4. Hold OEM remote button, until double blink from learning remote
5. Repeat last 2 steps for rest of the buttons.
6. When you're finished, either let learning mode time out or hold SETUP for 2 more flashes.

Keymoves
(For this example, we'll copy buttons from VCR mode to DVD mode)
1. Hold SETUP, 2 flashes
2. Type 994, 2 flashes
3. Press VCR, button1, DVD, button1, 2 flashes
4. Repeat entire process for the rest of the buttons

You'll notice that the remote stays in learning mode so if you want to learn multiple buttons, you just need to select another button and continue, whereas keymove mode only lasts for one button, so you'll need to re-enter the 994 code for each button that you want to program. Talk about tedious.

Fixup wrote:
Maybe nobody (including myself, except whompus) knew what I was talking about. The bottom line is I'm happy that I made a successful partial upgrade based on whompus' trick.

I do understand what you're talking about, but as someone who's here to help guide newbies, it's my duty to try and set you on the right path, which is why I've been spending so much time here trying to show you the light.

Apart from anything else, doing it your way means that you don't have a working (complete) upgrade that you can share with the rest of the group. For that reason, could you please list any partially working setup codes that you've been using, along with all the additional EFCs that you've found, so I can create proper upgrades for the group.
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob... I think we determined it is 0178 and also think your advanced codes has it covered.

Fixup... If you found codes that are not on the advanced list please as Rob asked tell us what they are and what function they do.
Fixup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. Here is a (not full) list:

Remote in concern: Vizio P50 HDM plazma 50" monitor, JP1.2, picture above.

Build-in setup code: 0178 or 0019.

Build-in working functions: power, mute, vol+, vol-, menu, there might be more.

Advanced codes I tested to work:

analog hd (input toggle) 231
av (input toggle) 105
info 251
cc 025
pip 197
pip size 201
freez 200
wide(ness) 138

I don't remember exactly, other setup codes (0179?) also worked (tried too many remotes and setup codes).
scifan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Question on this Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the EFC's are for jumping directly to the various inputs?

EG hdmi2, component2, etc?

Or am I stuck doing the HDMI code that definitly works (EFC 174) twice?

I've already read that there is no discrete on/change input combination...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: