JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new 9910 user unsure how to proceed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: new 9910 user unsure how to proceed Reply with quote

JP1 remote :URC9910B
JP1 user :yes limited knowledge
original remote :yes
file section :yes
pronto file :no
partially working: no
learning :yes
Acer AT3201W LCD TV
Sony SLV-D950G DVD/VCR
Pace cable receiver

My 9910s codes from the manual doesnt work any of my items. A manual seach hasnt given anyworking codes. With my old 7544 I was able to set up the majority of my items from the supplied codes or from manual search (acer LCD partially working 0170, Pace cable 1068, sony DVD/VCR combo 0864).
How do I proceed now, am I to learn all the functions, am I to find working or partially working codes or is it because I have imported a US remote (my 7544 showed up in IR as URC OFA -1k European version)?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using a US remote in the UK, so that is to be expected. Your first move should be to check the file section to see if we already have upgrades for most of your devices, you're not the first UK JP1er so it's quite likely that we do.

But, if we don't, then yes, you should learn the buttons and create your own upgrades. After all, that's how all the other upgrade files came to be.

See if this helps...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two upgrades I had from the files section and used them with my 7544 -Sony SLV-D950G DVD/VCR and the Pace NTL UK DITV1000. Neither work on my 9910. And I tried learning a couple of buttons last night. The remotes said 'SUCCESS' after thr procedure, but the devices did not respond to the learned commands so I dont know what I did wrong.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pen and paper, two new sets of batteries and the original and learning remote together. New batteries often help when the signal is marginal or diffcult to learn.

Learn about 15 to 20 buttons starting with the obvious ones - Num0 thru 9, power, menu, arrows etc.

Upload to IR. Go to the "Learned" tab and look for successfully-decoded signals; they will be the ones with names and numbers relating to protocol, device, subdevice, OBC, Hex, EFC. Some might be partially decoded (there may be two lines of data with one line being plausible and the other rubbish) and some won't decode at first attempt. Write down the successful codes.

Now select "Delete All" to wipe out the learned signals and then "upload" to the remote to clear them from the EEPROM memory. Start again with more buttons or any that you missed first time round.

For recalcitrant buttons I suggest tackling them individually by repeatedly learning them to different keys. E.g. learn the power button to keys 1, 2 and 3, mute to 4, 5, 6, menu to 7, 8, 9 etc. and then see if at least one out of each of three attempts has scored a hit.

It can be a bit like a jigsaw - once you get enough codes you can "see" the whole picture; even if a few are missing you can sometimes guess them e.g. Num1=22, Num2=23, Num3=??, Num4=25.

Last resort - i.e. no-one else has an upgrade, you just can't learn a particular button and there's no particular pattern to the codes (such as with NEC1, Dev0 devices) - you'll just have to build a dummy upgrade and try out the remaining possible codes, often from 0 to 255 but sometimes just from 0 to 31 or another range depending upon the protocol in use.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ube_Astard wrote:
The two upgrades I had from the files section

Which two upgrades? Give us URLs please.

Ube_Astard wrote:
Sony SLV-D950G DVD/VCR and the Pace NTL UK DITV1000. Neither work on my 9910. And I tried learning a couple of buttons last night. The remotes said 'SUCCESS' after thr procedure, but the devices did not respond

You tried that with both devices?

Sony usually has very easy to learn IR signals. Weak batteries in the Sony remote are one common reason for failing to learn those signals.

Pace has at least two different kinds of problem signals that may be hard or even impossible to learn.

You should learn several different signals from each device. Make sure it is clear which functions were learned to which buttons (if the 9910 button names don't match the function names, write down a list). Upload the .ir file to the diagnosis folder and post its URL back here (include function name info either in the post or in notes within IR).

Hopefully the experts here can at least identify the signals from the learning attempts.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: new 9910 user unsure how to proceed Reply with quote

Ube_Astard wrote:
With my old 7544 I was able to set up the majority of my items from the supplied codes or from manual search (acer LCD partially working 0170, Pace cable 1068, sony DVD/VCR combo 0864).

I should have read the beginning of the thread more carefully before answering above.

Since you have those partially working setup codes for the 7544, there shouldn't be any need for learning in the 9910. You should be able to load upgrades for the 9910 that match those 7544 built-in setup codes.

What upgrades did you try? If you got the right ones, then we need to diagnose why they didn't work. (Can your 9910 send IR signals at all or is it broken?) If you got the wrong upgrades, you need some help finding or creating upgrades to match those setup codes.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 9910 on my old Mitsubishi TV and it was OK. Will try the learning but working many hours at the mo' so no doubt, I will keep in touch when I pick it up again maybe Friday.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got it all working now learning etc but I dont understand why some passes get different results from others even thought they still work. I mean some passes I open the learned signals in IR and it shows up a 'sent once while key is being pressed' with loads of figures in the tab. Then others it shows as standard 'protocol/device/sub.......'.
I would also like to know if it is possible to use the codes I success fully manual obtained using my 7544, and how.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the buttons where you see "loads of numbers" are from the same device as buttons that display the protocol, etc, the most likely reason for this is that these buttons were not learned correctly. If you re-learn them you will probably see the protocol, etc.

If all the bad learns are for the same device, it probably means that this device uses an IR protocol that we haven't seen before, so DecodeIR (which does the translation behind the scenes) doesn't recognise it. If this is the case, post your IR file and provide a link to it.

Ube_Astard wrote:
I would also like to know if it is possible to use the codes I success fully manual obtained using my 7544, and how.

What do you mean exactly? If you learned them using the 7544, then yes. If you used built in codes, tell us what the built in codes are and we'll advise you how to proceed. If you downloaded new codes from the web or over the phone, post your IR file and we'll see if we can convert them into upgrade files.

Just remember, if you post a file for us to look at, please post a link to it or we won't look for it.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help and its all going well now I had the 'beginners....' refresher. Some questions.Looking at the KM buttons sheet, there is C column - function, and D column -shift function. How you you access shift functions?
Is there a way to incorporate my TV volume and mute functions so that they work whatever device I am using? I thought that was what the VPT was for but I couldnt get it working on my 7544.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ube_Astard wrote:
Looking at the KM buttons sheet, there is C column - function, and D column -shift function. How you you access shift functions?

The programming button, which might be labelled: SET, SETUP, MAGIC or P doubles as the SHIFT button on most JP1 remotes. To activate a shifted button, you press and release the SHIFT button first, then you press the button in question.

Ube_Astard wrote:
Is there a way to incorporate my TV volume and mute functions so that they work whatever device I am using? I thought that was what the VPT was for but I couldnt get it working on my 7544.

That's exactly what VPT is for. VPT is implemented slightly differently from remote to remote and I don't know how it was implemented on your remote. On some remotes, it doesn't cover all devices, in which case you would need to use keymoves to program the remaining devices. On all remotes VPT has a limitation where it only works if the device button is in it's native state. In other words, if you program a VCR code to the CABLE button, you'll break VPT.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
To activate a shifted button, you press and release the SHIFT button first, then you press the button in question.
An important note when using an unextended remote: a shifted numeric button (0-9) requires the Shift button be pressed TWICE (Shift-Shift-#). Otherwise, the remote thinks you're trying to send an EFC command (Shift-#-#-#).
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thanks for your helps.
However I am now puzzled as to why I cannot get IR to recognise upgrades from KM for my 7544. There is no problem with the 9910, but when I load upgrades then change the remote to 7544 and paste in IR, though it appears in the device window, I dont get the option of assigning a button and the code doesnt appear in the general tab. Any suggestions as to what I could be missing?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ube_Astard wrote:
I dont get the option of assigning a button and the code doesnt appear in the general tab.

You are supposed to go to the general tab and put the type and number of the new setup code onto the desired device key.

IR was not designed to always ask you for that information during install of the upgrade. It only asks you for that information if the upgrade can't be installed correctly before knowing which device button it will be assigned to.

You may also need to review the buttons sheet in KM after changing the remote type and before copying the upgrade to paste to IR. A 7544 has very different buttons than a 9910, and KM probably dropped important button assignments when you changed remote type, especially the button assignments that needed KeyMoves in the 9910 version and thus caused IR.EXE for the 9910 to need to know the device button at the time the upgrade was installed.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify (or obfuscate - you decide):

When you add a device upgrade to IR, it will only ask you to assign that upgrade to a device key (via a pop-up window) IF the upgrade brought over with it any keymoves. If there are no keymoves, you get no pop-up prompt, but the device upgrade is there, ready to be loaded into the EEPROM.

To actually USE this upgrade, on the General Tab, you must manually enter the device type and setup code you want for the device you want it on. The device TYPE is a drop-down, but the SETUP CODE must be physically TYPED IN! OMG! Very Happy

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: