JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help w/ LKP/DKP/DSM special protocols: URC-8810w
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbrells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to add the LKP/DKP/DSM special protocols (as provided in LDKP-6012-8810w.zip to a NON-EXTENDED 8810w (WalMart) remote. I have version 6.00 of IR and am using the "6_806_80 (URC_881x_801x_601x).rdf" file.

I don't seem to see any "Special Protocol" tab in my version of IR. Perhaps I have an older version of IR and/or I have not chosen the proper RDF file (which is dated 6/6/2004)?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Wayne
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrells wrote:
I don't seem to see any "Special Protocol" tab in my version of IR. Perhaps I have an older version of IR and/or I have not chosen the proper RDF file (which is dated 6/6/2004)?
The settings to enable the Special Protocols tab in IR are controlled by the RDF. AFAIK, the standard RDF's don't contain the proper entries. You can try adding this to the "6_806_80 (URC_881x_801x_601x).rdf" file:

[SpecialProtocols]
DSM=01FC
LDKP=01F9

Save the RDF and restart IR to make sure the changes get recognized.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming we were talking about an extender.

I'm not sure of the UI for non extender special protocols. I don't think ExtenderCodeCalc has any support for that (but maybe I missed something).

A non-extender DSM requires a helper macro, so the actual DSM contains just the keycode of the macro and then the keycodes you actually want go in the macro.

I remember the experts discussing the question of whether IR should manage all that for you (hide those details from you). But I don't recall the answer.

Assuming it doesn't manage that for you, pick some shifted or phantom key you're not otherwise using and define the macro on that, then define that keycode as the DSM. I assume the same concepts (but more complicated details) apply to LKP and other more complex DSM-like things, in the non-extender version.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the RDF3Spec.doc that came with IR 6.00, I think the correct entries for the unextended remote would be:

[SpecialProtocols]
UDSM=01FC
ULDKP=01F9

I am also not sure that IR has correct support for these special protocols in an unextended remote. See http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4096
I don't think we ever heard back from Mark as to whether or not that was supposed to work.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
wbrells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The documentation in LDKP-6012-8810w.zip states that this special protocol is specifically designed to be used WITHOUT an extender.

After downloading the very latest versions of IR, RM, and associated files I'm getting the "Special Protocol" tab in IR. Then, per the LDKP instructions, I pasted in the device upgrade in the Devices tab and the protocol upgrade in the Protocol tab. The LDKP documenation uses a Device Type of MISC, which did not seem to be a possible option with my remote. Instead, I arbitrarily picked a device type of TV (with the setup code of 1106 as defined by LDKP).

I now have 2 TV devices with different setup codes. Is that possibly the cause of my problem mentioned below?

I then specified an LKP macro for the Power key in TV mode. The resulting hex command was $41 $95 $96 which looks correct per the LDKP documentation (First byte: 4=timeout + 1=LKP option; Second byte = code for shifted '1' key, which in RM I assigned to discrete Power ON; Third byte = code for shifted '2' key, which in RM I assigned to discrete Power OFF).

Unfortunately, in TV mode the Power button doesn't seem to do ANYTHING, so something is not well!

Thoughts?

Wayne
wbrells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since posting the above message I've tried using the L1 and L2 keys for discrete power on/off and changing the "device" associated with the LKP protocol from "TV" to "audio". I also tried entering the 3-byte keymove sequence directly via hex codes. Unfortunately, nothing worked (and I did verify that, when pressed directly, the L1 and L2 keys turn the TV on and off.)

I looked at some of the above references, but I can't really tell if there SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be a problem using the LKP protocol (from LDKP-6012-8810w.zip) on a non-extended 8810w remote...

Wayne
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct RDF is in the 1.18b release zip file and is dated 1/27/05. And it does include the special protocols.
wbrells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils,

The 1.18b zip file is the one that I am currently using. The special protocols are there, but (as described above) I can't seem to make them work. I want a short press of the TV power button to turn ON the TV and a long press to turn if OFF. As things now stand, the TV power button doesn't do anything...

Thoughts?

Wayne
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up load your IR file so I can get a look at it. I am not sure what the problem is since it works for others.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrells wrote:
Instead, I arbitrarily picked a device type of TV (with the setup code of 1106 as defined by LDKP).

That sounds like a serious mistake, but I haven't taken the time to research. I assumed Nils would explain what is wrong there or what you should have done.

wbrells wrote:

I now have 2 TV devices with different setup codes. Is that possibly the cause of my problem mentioned below?

No, that isn't the issue. The issue is that the device type of the upgrade is represented in more than one place and I assume you didn't change it to TV in all the places that need to match.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking John but wasn't sure how to explain it until I looked at it.

I think we may need to recompile the standalone package to make it a TV device since many don't have misc and that can confuse things.
wbrells

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils,

I'm a bit confused by some of the above comments. Have you concluded that my problem is most likely caused by lack of a MISC device? (Do some of the other remotes - URC_881x_801x_601x - include such a device?) If this IS the case, is there any "workaround" for my 8810w remote, or will I need to wait for an updated version of the LKP/DKP/DSM Special Protocol?

BTW, would you still like to see my IR file, or are you already quite certain what is causing the problem? (If you would like to see my IR file, I assume it should be uploaded to the Diagnostics area.)

Thanks,
Wayne
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (and others) could figure it out easily after seeing your .ir file (and probably not otherwise). Maybe Nils can figure it out without seing that file. But why push that?

It's easy enough to upload to diagnosis, and if it wasn't needed, easy enough to delete from there.
wbrells

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded my IR file named

"8810w_ir_file_with_LKP_DKP_DSM_problem.ir"

I hope this will help pinpoint my problem!

Many thanks,

Wayne
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like it should work OK but the Misc changed to audio may be a problem.

Try deleting the 1106 device upgrade and add this one and change your keymove to this one

Upgrade code 0 = 0c 52 (TV/1106)
F9 00 01
End
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: