JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 8550 and "Device button restricted", need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lecha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: URC 8550 and "Device button restricted", need help Reply with quote

Hi, it seems to me, I am missing something important in "programming remote with JP1 concept". I have URC8550 (Topline8), and I need to make upgrade for my DVD (Pioneer 646A), it looks like Pioneer protocol is suitable for this.

From yahoo group I have downloaded all necessary tools (IR,KM, RM,RDFs and predefined upgrade file Pioneer-DV525-v5-06.txt ), at first I have tried
RM (btw -very convenient program!)- regretfully unsuccessfully (changing remote type from 15-994 to URC8550 has no effect in RM),then I switched back to KM, here I can change my remote type, and it looks OK (btw saving this change and open after in RM is not possible (error message about "... not supported")).OK- lets continue with KM.

So file is loaded, remote type changed to right one, now on buttons tab of KM we can read "Buttons assigned a Function will be setup as part of the Device Upgrade except when preceded with an '@' (i.e. '@ setup'), in which case they will be created as Key Moves bound to the current device.
A Shift-Function assigned to any Button will be created as a Key Move bound to the current device."

OK, about half of then have such symbol, so Key moves will be created. Let's accept everything and continue to IR:

OK, in any case copy protocol from KM, press add on Protocols tab of IR and paste. Protocol $017e looks added OK, now copy Device upgrade/keymove code from KM press add button on Devices tab of IR and paste. In "Device button restriction" combo selected "Work with all devices" (i think default), then press OK.

Now message box appears, "warning, DVD 0571 is not assigned to any device button, would you like to assign it now? , If not key moves will be disabled." Let's answer "Yes" and choose @AUX2 button. (Then message "List Index out of bounds(-1)") appears and key moves are ignored (at least they are not appearing in Key moves tab).

Let's make second try, but now choose 0571 code for @AUX2 device button in general tab before, then press edit button on devices tab (on this device of course) and paste again. Now success, key moves on their place and everything looks OK. Now press 'Upload to remote', and try to use it - no effect at all. Then lets go back to devices tab, press edit on our DVD571 device and choose "Works with @AUX2" in device restriction combo (btw, should I check or uncheck "Include in device independent sections well" checkbox?). press ok and upload to remote again.

Miracle! Now it works!!, but only buttons that have no @ symbol in KM (i.e. keymoves do not work at all). More than that in IR there is a Note: " This remote contains a bug that prevents device upgrades from working if they use upgraded protocol. Workaround: Set up devices that use upgraded protocol as "Device button restricted" Bingo! this is exactly my case!

But there is no restricted device in our Device button column (General Tab in IR), and I did not find any possibility to add such entry. In docs, yahoo group and this forum I did not found any point about "Device button restricted" also. What does it mean?? How can I implement this?

As far as I understood Device buttons (General Tab in IR) starting with @ indicate, that those button is missing on URC5550 (am I right?).Now second question: What is the difference between, for example AMP and @AMP in Type column (also General Tab ), which one I have to use???

And last question how to set up "Home theatre" button of my remote (i suspect that means I have to use keymoves to create such "virtual device", but I still don't understand how? I don't have a "Home theatre" button in Device buttons column (General Tab in IR)). What I am doing wrong?

Sorry for so long post and probably stupid questions, but I am only beginner with JP1. Hope on your help. Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: URC 8550 and "Device button restricted", need Reply with quote

Lecha wrote:
But there is no restricted device in our Device button column (General Tab in IR), and i did not found any possibility to add such entry. In docs, yahoo group and this forum i did not found any point about "Device button restricted" also. What does it mean?? How can i implement this?

Go to the Devices tab, select your upgrade, and click the Edit button. I think you need to select the checkbox labeled "Include in device independent section as well".
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: URC 8550 and "Device button restricted", need Reply with quote

Lecha wrote:
(btw should i check or uncheck "Include in device independent sections well" checkbox?)

Uncheck this box, otherwise you are wasting space of memory.

Lecha wrote:
But there is no restricted device in our Device button column (General Tab in IR), and i did not found any possibility to add such entry.

You select this at the devices tab in the edit or add dialog.

Lecha wrote:
As far as i understood Device buttons (General Tab in IR) starting with @ indicate, that those button is missing on URC5550 (am i right?)

Yes.

Lecha wrote:
What is the difference between, for example AMP and @AMP in Type column (also General Tab ), which one i have to use???

There is no difference, you can use both types identical, may be, the screen will read "AMP2", then you could try to change the type.

Lecha wrote:
And last question how to set up "Home theatre" button of my remote?

Use the "HT * device" entries on the right side (Other Settings) of the general tab to setup your HT config.

Uwe
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RM (btw -very convenient program!)- regretfully unsuccessfully (changing remote type from 15-994 to URC8550 has no effect in RM),then i switched back to KM, here i can change my remote type, and it looks OK (btw saving this change and open after in RM is not possible (error message about "... not supported"))

Because the Toplines aren't very popular, RM hasn't been tested much with them. I would like to correct any problems. Would you mind posting more details about your problems with RM? Which version were you using? What was the exact text of the error message? Are there any error messges in rmaster.err?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion recently of a possible bug in IR that could be related to this, check the following thread for more info:

what does error msg "list index out of bounds(-1)"
Lecha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers guys,
especially to uwereinert.
I am starting to suspect, that there is bug in IR (or in corresponding RDF)
according to uwereinert:
Quote:
uwereinert wrote:
Quote:
Lecha wrote:
But there is no restricted device in our Device button column (General Tab in IR), and i did not found any possibility to add such entry.

You select this at the devices tab in the edit or add dialog.

but THERE IS NO such device button or whatever it is in devices tab in the edit or add dialog.
In add dialog i have :
1."Device button restriction" static, inside is combobox "Works with", available choices from combo:
<All devices> (default)
SAT
TV
VCR
CD
@AMP
@TUNER
AUX1
@AUX2
that is all, it is not editable combo, so i can not enter something else manually.
2. if something different from <All devices> is selected from combo above,
checkbox "Include in device independent section as well appears". (unchecked by default)
3."Device" static, inside is combobox "Type" available choices from combo:
SAT
TV
VCR
CD
@AMP/AMP
@TUNER/TUNER
MISC_AUDIO
TAPE
VID_ACC
CABLE
PHONO
HOME_CT
LASER
DVD (default)
DAT
that is all, it is also not editable combo, so i can not enter something else manually.
4.In same static presents checkbox "Protocol >FF" (checked by default)
5. Edit box "Protocol Code" (contains 571 by default)
Also there are two multi-line edit boxes for device upgrade and keymoves¯os themselves.

In edit dialog i have exactly same.

After adding device (i mean successful adding now) (thanks to Rob,but i found solution for "list index out of bounds(-1)" myself) in devices tab device DVD:0571 appears on the left side, In "device information" static following info present:
"Device" containing "Unrestricted" (if <All devices> was selected during add/edit) or
"@AUX2 only" (if @AUX2 was selected during add/edit and "Include in device independent section as well appears" was unchecked) or" @AUX2 + all other devices"
(if @AUX2 was selected during add/edit and "Include in device independent section as well appears" was checked)
it is not editable so i can not enter something else here.
Also present "Protocol ID" edit box , containing "17E", and "Fixed data" edit box , containing "3A 66 0A".

Probably it is pretty stupid, but i do not see here anything , that looks like "Device button restricted". Could you point me what i have to select in combos (or somewhere else?).
I have tried different variants, but still ca not force key moves to work.
If in "Works with" combo <All devices> selected, than nothing works at all.
If in "Works with" combo @AUX2 selected, than NORMAL buttons are functioning, but key moves still not. in that case they are present (15 entries) and are looking like
(for example first entry):
Bound @AUX2
Bound key TV/VCR
=
Device @AUX2
Device type DVD
Setup 0571
HexCmd $E8
EFC or Key Name 077

but remote does not recognize them, (nothing happens, then you press TV/VCR button , then AUX2 is active and DVD displayed on LCD, i.e diode does not light ).

Please give me a clue , how to force key moves to work???
Another question is about HT mode,
is it done automatically to power on all HT devices? Or i have to create special macro?
I mean, if i press "power" button on remote than HT is active (i.e THEATER displayed on LCD) i would like to switch on all HT devices( i.e. HT audio device (receiver in my case),
HT channel device (TV in my case), HT playback device (DVD in my case)).?

Thanks for help.
Lecha

2 gfb107:
I'm using RM ver 0.93
Steps to reproduce behavior:
1.run KM
2. open Pioneer-DV525-v5-06.txt (you can found on yahoo group)
3. change remote type from 15-994 to URC-8550/5550
4, save it (for instance as Pioneer-DV525-v5-06_MY.txt)
5. Open Pioneer-DV525-v5-06_MY.txt in RM
6.Answer URC-8550 Topline to question about refining remote type.

Exact massage text:
"No protocol found with name "Pioneer DVD" for remote URC8550 Topline"
after this program hangs (no reaction on mouse clicks, except menu).
content of rmaster.err (i have cleaned it before start)

RM-errors.txt

hope it helps.
daveoram

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found you only need to set up restrictions if the device you are defining is not using one of the built-in protocols, but is using a protocol you have pasted in from KM.

In the restrictions box, you have to select the device button you have assigned the device to operate from (not the device type if you have reassigned that button) and also make sure the check box for 'Include independent selection' is NOT ticked. Don't know what it means, but when it is ticked you still get the bug in the remote appearing - it sends whatever is programmed onto the '0' key whatever is pressed.
I too am having trouble with this remote - but there again it took me several weeks to get the hang of my other OFA device.
My advice, keep trying - things generally click into place (or at least I hope they do)

Check this thread and this one for details of bugs in the RDF which have been uncovered recently (ie last couple of days, so check you have the latest RDF and it has the modifications listed.

Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've split the Pioneer protocol discussion off into it's own thread...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1594
Lecha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help guys,
regretfully i have to claim, that nothing helps, (i mean modificaton of RDF),
key moves for this device do not work still. Workaround (in my case ) was to move neccessary functions to "normal" buttons, i am stil missing of about 10 functions, but it not so important for me (really i need only "random "function from those key moves).
Hope somebody in the future will find solution...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lecha, if you can live with the LCD screen reading SAT, TV or VIDACC rather than DVD when you press the DVD button, you could select one of those modes in KM when you edit your Pioneer DVD upgrade, this would let you include an additional 10 buttons in the upgrade.

Regarding the keymoves, I think you should try programming them manually on the remote to see if they work that way. First, try programming the advanced codes for the functions that are missing, and in the event that that doesn't work, try keymoving a function from one button to another and see if that works.
daveoram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to send shifted functions, have you tried pressing the MAGIC instead of SHIFT?
If I set a macro in Shift-1, I have to press magic-magic-1 to run it

Dave
mikemcgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with your remote or the protocol you are using, but this sounds like a problem I ran into recently. I have a URC-8090B00 and was using the Sony Combo protocol. No keymoves worked, and I finally ran across this statement "...the Producer 8 family doesn't support multi-byte keymoves..." in this file:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Special%20Protocols/740%20Special%20Protocols/740-device-multiplexer.txt

So, assuming your remote is a 740-based remote, and that the protocol is a multi-byte protocol, and that the above statement applies: I don't think the keymoves will ever work. Sad Hopefully I'm wrong and someone else will refute this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-8550 is basically the European version of the URC-8090, so chances are whatever applies to the one will apply to the other.
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lecha, put your dump from IR.exe and your KM or RM file for the DVD in a zip and post it in the diagnosis area. I'll take a look.

Uwe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: