JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LG7832 upconversion button
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sub0

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: LG7832 upconversion button Reply with quote

This is my 1st post, tho' I have been using JP1 for ~2 years now. So, first of all, thank you to all the gurus who made available all the JP1 information.

As my little contribution back to this group, I've uploaded a device file for the LG7832/Zenith DV318 DVD player and a corrected Sanyo PLV-Z2 file to the yahoo files section. In the original Z2 file, AUTO had a duplicate code for AUTO PC, which is a different function.

Now to my question. The LG7832 is a new upconverting DVD player. The button to cycle thro' upconversion is only on the player, not on the remote. So it can't be learned. Any ideas where/how to find any codes for LG/Zenith that may be used? I know it's a long shot that it can even be activated remotely but wanna explore anyways.

Last resort, I may solder 2 wires to that button and an optocoupler to control with my homebuild IR receiver/decoder. But don't want to go that route yet.

Thanks in advance for any infor/guidance.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check Rob's site (or contact UEI) and see if there's an advanced code list for the setup code (if you know what it is).

The other thing you can try is an EFC search. Compile a list of all the unused EFC's from your upgrade. Then one by one, try entering them (Setup-#-#-#) to see if you come across that missing function (and/or any others).
sub0

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thank you for your suggestions.

I called LG/Zenith tech support and got no help there.

Then I compared all the EFCs from all the Zenith DVD players that I could find and located a block of unused EFCs among those that are used.

Found a code within that block which activates the Upconversion function.

I have replaced my earlier LG7832 file in the "Device Code/DVD" folder with a new one named LG_DV7832_upconversion.txt. Only update in this new file is the upconversion function. The programmed button on the remote will function just like the upconversion button on the player ie when in STOPPED mode, it cycles thro' 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Enjoy!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, this player uses DVD/0591 and the EFC that sub0 found for UPCONVERSION is 069.
MrChuckP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub0, great job. I downloaded the file and it looks very complete. I have tried all the functions I will need with my Zenith DVB318, looks like a great DVD player, we shall see.

Have you run acorss any discrete on and discrete off commands for the player. I am trying to ensure all my components are in sync so they can be initiated together. My wife needs this latter function.

A discrete off command for the 318 is the last one I am lacking to tie the whole thing together.

If you have any suggestions please share them. thank you
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the play command from Off? If that works (and it does on many DVD's), a macro for Play|Stop=On and Play|Power Toggle=Off.
MrChuckP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, sounds like this may be a solution. I must be brain dead because your reply is not connecting with me. I am using a 8810 remote and programming it with RM and IR. Not working with an extender.

Not sure how you "try the play command from off".
additionally, the Macro expression "Play/stop=on and Play/power toggle=off" is not registering either. ( I only have a / on my key board)

thanks for your patience.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Try the play command from off" means try pressing the Play key while the DVD player is off. This may cause the DVD player to turn on.

Play|Stop=On just means that you can create a macro consisting of the Play key followed by the Stop key which will be equivalent to a Discrete On key.

Similarly, Play|Power Toggle=Off just means that a macro consiting of the Play key followed by the Power Toggle key will equivalent to a Discrete Off key.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
MrChuckP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it. Slow, but I get it.

Thanks to you and Jon. I will give it a try and see what happens.

thanks again
sub0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrChuckP wrote:
Have you run acorss any discrete on and discrete off commands for the player.

Unfortunately no discrete codes. All codes that work are in the file, except for a handful which just duplicates some of the ffwd/frev functions.

You'll have to try the suggestion from jon-amstrong. Let us know how that works out.
MrChuckP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I gave it a try and had very limited success. I created these macros in RM and loaded them into the 8810 via IR. Testing had mixed results.

The DVB318 does come on when a macro issues Play/stop. that piece seems to work.

When a macro issues the Play/power toggle=off, the system toggles. the first time the macro is issued it comes on and the second time the macro is issued it turns off.

It appears the 319 recognizes the power portion of the macro as a toggle.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, either on the approach I used or on a different approach. thanks again for your observatins and recomendations.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrChuckP wrote:
When a macro issues the Play/power toggle=off, the system toggles. the first time the macro is issued it comes on and the second time the macro is issued it turns off.

That is what is supposed to do. If there aren't discrete commands that is the next best solution. If you use an extender with fast execution of macros you probably won't see all the steps.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM doesn't provide a way to create macros, so I don't know how you used it to create a macro (BTW, neither does KM, Macros can only be created in IR or manually on the remote).

It could be that there needs to be some delay between the Play and the Power Toggle. I know my Philips DVD player won't accept the Power Toggle immediately after turning on.

It might help if you posted your saved IR file.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
MrChuckP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg you are correct all macros were issued from IR.

here is where I stand, partial success:

1) per Jon, the Zenith DVB318 will power on from off by issuing the play command.

2) discrete on: again per Jon, the PLAY/STOP command will act as discrete on (no matter how many times the command is issued it only turns on the system, it never toggles to off). inserting a pause between play and stop also works per Greg.

3) discrete off: the PLAY/POWER macro appears to act as a power toggle, not a discrete off. the first time the macro is issued to the 318 it turns off (assuming the 318 is on). the second time the macro is issued the 318 turns on.

Hope I am clearer this time around. Any other thoughts or combinatins of functions which have functioned as discrete off on other devices?

Again thanks for your thoughts
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to experiment with a Pause between Play and Power toggle. My guess is that if Off it hasn't had enough time to turn On with the Play command before the power toggle is received.

FWIW, I use a master Off for everything when I shutdown an entertainment center. The power consumption for DVD's, VCR's, receivers, etc. when idle is really pretty low in comparison to the display. That way you won't keep power cycling your DVD in macros.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: