JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Updated RDF's, and RM Maps and Images v1.17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than embedding the version number in each RDF, or actually reading the RDFs directly out of the ZIP file without extracting (which wouldn't be too hard for RM, BTW), there is no way to ensure that the user won't stick an old RDF from who knows where in with the released RDFs.

This, however, is a problem that we already have, and adding a separate version file doesn't make it any worse.

There is one thing we could do to reduce the odds of people using outdated RDFs: go back and repackage all the extenders so that none of them include RDFs. It seems to me this is the primary source of incompatible RDFs.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll make the argument again for changing the RDFSync entry each time there's a major revision to IR and/or RM that relies on a minimum compatable version. When I suggested this last time, it was shot down. Sad

However, the flag is already in the RDF spec and files, and IR currently won't open and use anything less than RDFSync=3 without an error message. Granted, it would still be a pain to update them all when necessary.

Then again, a simpler approach might be to include the version number in the filename, i.e."RSL6RSL0 (RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart).117.rdf". That wouldn't overwrite files, so there'd be a housekeeping issue for users unless updates were somehow automated.
pgk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be a better idea to have the version number in each RDF, but that would be a TON more work for Nils

Surely it wouldn't be much bother to create a program to do those updates automatically which Nils could run against the RDFs just prior to zipping the release?

I've not seen previous discussions on this so apologies in advance if I'm off the mark, but what is the problem with old RDFs? If they generally won't work properly because they don't contain all the required info/are wrong format, then Mark's point about changing RDFsync seems appropriate, surely IR should just reject them outright.
If it's just that for certain remotes it may cause glitches then including a version number in each RDF and getting IR to record that in the .IR file to aid diagnosis would seem appropriate.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgk wrote:
Surely it wouldn't be much bother to create a program to do those updates automatically which Nils could run against the RDFs just prior to zipping the release?
Sounds like it could be done easily.
pgk wrote:
I've not seen previous discussions on this so apologies in advance if I'm off the mark, but what is the problem with old RDFs?
Older RDFs don't necessarily cause major problems, but since JP1 is constantly evolving, the older ones might be missing items required by newer features, or they may have been preliminary and missing some info, or even contain incorrect info. It's very frustrating to spend time helping someone with an RDF problem, fixing it, getting the fix released, and then having someone else have the same problem because they are using the unfixed RDF. Also, the extenders come packaged with RDF files that don't (well, hardly ever) get updated, while the RDF releases contain later versions of these RDFs.
pgk wrote:
...then Mark's point about changing RDFsync seems appropriate, surely IR should just reject them outright.
If it's just that for certain remotes it may cause glitches then including a version number in each RDF and getting IR to record that in the .IR file to aid diagnosis would seem appropriate.
I think including a version number in each RDF is the only practical way to do this. While Mark is correct that the RDFs have an RDFSync item, IR uses this value to reject RDF files that don't conform to the current RDF spec (currently v3). Versions 3x, 4x and 5x of IR have all used RDF spec v3, so it's not a good idea to change the RDFSync value arbitrarily. I think the simplest thing is to add a new item to the RDF [General] section that indicates the RDF release number. None of the programs currently in use would observe this, of course, but that feature could be added over time.
Mark Pierson wrote:
Then again, a simpler approach might be to include the version number in the filename, i.e."RSL6RSL0 (RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart).117.rdf". That wouldn't overwrite files, so there'd be a housekeeping issue for users unless updates were somehow automated.
An alternative to this would be to add the version number to the internal Name item. That wouldn't have the housekeeping issues that the filename does.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am liking most of these ideas and fundamentally don't have a problem adding a new item to the [General] section of each RDF and actually think it is the right way to go.

I also think we should add either two items or one with 2 values.. Value one would be the last revision date and value two would be the zip file release value like V1.17.

What I am getting at is having two values, one of which tells us which zip file it came out of and the other telling us when it was actually last revised. A lot of times I go by the file date for diagnostics and adding and revising an item would overwrite the file date. This way whoever modifies an RDF would also need to change the revision date or I would just do that when I packaged a new or revised RDF.

I would also add that these values should not be added to an RDF unless it is distributed in the RDF zip file.. That way if the RM or IR file does not have any information we know it is either a beta or extender RDF.

Code:
Suggested format:

Option 1:     Revised=01/01/2004
              Release=1.17

Option 2:     Release=01/01/2004,1.17   

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an idea that's actually a mixture of all of the above. I think we should include a version file in the zip that indicates which release of the zip file is being used. In addition to this, I think there should be an entry in each RDF that indicates what version the RDF itself is. This last version number would only be updated when this particular RDF is updated for some reason (which of course, is rare).

I think the RDF version number should be a two part number (like 1.23) so that whenever a major change comes along where all the RDFs need to be updated, the first number would be incremented and the second number reset to 00 (so my 1.23 number would become 2.00). Then, whenever a correct or other update is done to this RDF in particular, the secondary version number would be incremented.

Then using Mike's example, let's say the current RDF version for the 15-1994 is 2.13 and a bug is discovered. When the bug is fixed, the version for this RDF alone becomes 2.14. Then when the next guy comes along reporting the same bug over again, we ask him for his version number which will tell us that he's not using the updated RDF.

If IR.exe were to display both numbers somewhere, we could tell that the user is (a) using the current zip file and (b) is using the current version of the relevant RDF.
e34m5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the value of the zip version is. I'm one of those who only extracts the RDF's needed. So for me the only value that would matter is the version of the RDF itself.

As far as showing this in IR it's not an issue what so ever.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only extracting a few RDFs from the official zip is a potentially problematic thing to do, so while I'm confident that you know what you're doing, I wouldn't want to encourage others to do the same.

Therefore, the zip version tells us that the user has downloaded the current zip file. Granted, this isn't as important as the individual RDF versions, but it would give us the chance to tell that user that they should download the current zip.
pgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we need a mixed approach.
e.g.

3 new items in the RDF.

Source=<Source of RDF>
Release=<RDF Version>
Revised=<Revision Date>

1 new file in RDF zip for version of zip file.

The source field could then be used as a freeform string to determine where the file originated. e.g. "Extender 2" or "RDFs 117.zip" or "Msg 10000" or whatever.
The release would be as Rob put forward an RDF specific release.

This would give a fair level of detail, and the software can use "Unknown" ot something if the item isn't present.

The only other thing I can think of which could be useful, but would probably be overkill, is some sort of checksum/crc/hash to indicate the content hasn't been changed, since the fields themselves rely on people actually updating them properly. (Checksum not present/not matching wouldn't be a cause to reject the RDF just a bit more information, since we'd know those with valid checksums probably have the other information correct also)
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Only extracting a few RDFs from the official zip is a potentially problematic thing to do.....
Question

I don't understand why you say that it's problematic.

Why extract all the RDF's when most people only have one remote and therefore only need one RDF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because sooner or later they're going to try doing something and they'll end up using an out of date RDF and they'll have problems. Then they'll come here and post their questions taking up alot of our time, for us only to discover in the end that they're using an out of date RDF.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking two different things. I agree with you in terms of the version of the RDF in question. I was only referring to downloading all the RDF's. I do not see any need for that.

In my previuos job we simply used the date on the file as the version. So all we would need to do is add a "Created Date"in the RDF.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this applies , but what would happen if you opened a posted file from the Yahoo groups and there was no RDF to match the poster's upgrade on your computer ? When I open a Keymaster file with RemoteMaster , it asks me to choose between a limited selection of remotes. Does it get these from the RDFs or is it internal to RM ?
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR shows a message that the required RDF is not present.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
We are talking two different things. I agree with you in terms of the version of the RDF in question. I was only referring to downloading all the RDF's. I do not see any need for that.

I'm trying to see what the benefit is for putting in this extra effort. It seems to me that it's easier to just unzip all of the RDFs in the zip file and not give it any more thought.

If the user starts to pick and chose which RDFs they think they need, they are substituting their intelligence for that that's programmed into the software.

For example, let's say the user has one of the old black ReplayTV remotes. They might look at the RDFs in the zip and notice that there are several RDFs for this model of remote, where one is labelled "version 1" and another is labelled "version 2". They might incorrectly think that their remote is a version 1 model, so that's the only RDF that they download. They then program the remote and it starts flashing endlessly, so they come to the forum and start posting questions. After spending many hours trying to help this user, we would (hopefully) eventually find out that their remote is really a version 2 model. Remember, there's very few clues on the remote's exterior as to which version it is.

Bottom line, you are free to do what you want with the RDFs, but our "policy" is to tell people to download and extract all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: