JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shifted keys not working.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisexv6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Shifted keys not working..... Reply with quote

Added the "DirecTV Plus HD-DVR HR20" RemoteMaster file to my remote last night. Opened the file in RM, changed the remote type to the same one I have (HT Pro), then copied the device and protocol upgrade codes into IR and uploaded to remote.

Everything works except the one shifted key (Record). There is a keymove built into the device upgrade that moves the record EFC onto Shift-Rec. No matter what I do (press once, press and hold, press twice, etc) the Record button never sends a signal (red LED does not light up on the remote, and of course the DVR doesnt begin to record). I removed the Shift portion of the keymove, and record works just fine (but obviously there is no "safety" to prevent accidental recordings).

Any ideas what Im missing here?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the HT Pro, but the REC button is a special key in all the JP1 and JP1.x remotes. UEI requires the REC button to be pressed 2x in a row to send a signal. Your remote probably processes that special feature in a way that makes Shift-Rec impossible directly from the keypad.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to ask the obvious question, don't take it personally: Do you know how shifting works on JP1 remotes? Press and release the Set button (on other remotes it'll be the P or Magic button), then press the desired button. If the button you want to shift is a digit, you must press the Set button twice.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, UEI has used the "HT Pro" label for various remotes, so that's not a good indication for us which remote you have. But, all "HT Pros" are clones of regular remotes. The old models were clones of the URC-9800 remote and the recent models are clones of the URC-9910.

Could you determine which remote you have because they both handle shifting in different ways.
chrisexv6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill check the remote tonight, Im almost positive it said 9911, but Ill make sure. I do have another HT Pro that is a 9800 variant (9811 I believe), and it too has the same problem with shifted keys "not working" (or in my case maybe Im just using them wrong)

I understand there is a "shift" button, but as far back as I can remember (RS 15-1994) the record button has always just worked as a double press to record. My 3rd HT Pro works fine on my Tivo to record, just do the double short press. For some reason it wont work that way on either of my HR20s. I did *not* try to press "Set" then "Record", it might actually work but then my question would be how to get it working as a double key press, which is the default operation of the Record button.

Thanks.
-Chris
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade has the Record function assigned by keymove to shift-REC.

If you change the upgrade so that the Record function is assigned to REC, most likely eliminating the keymove all together, then two presses of REC should result in the Record command being sent to your device.

It is possible that the original creator of the upgrade didn't know about the need to press REC twice, and used shift-REC as a workaround.
chrisexv6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I actually removed the "shift" portion of the keymove, but that bypasses the mechanism that requires 2 pressed of Rec. Tonight Ill just drop the keymove and see what happens.

I did notice the RM file was made for a URC-881x series. Wonder if those remotes handled Record differently, and the creator was forced to use Shift as a workaround.

I must say, I remember buying my first 15-1994 and returning it because (at the time) JP1 didnt exist. Here we are many years later and its still going strong (to the point that I refuse to buy any remote WITHOUT JP1 capability, and dont worry I went back and got that 15-1994, and 2 others....I still have all of them today).

Hats off to all the originals for the initial creation and the ongoing help.

-Chris
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply removing the keymove will NOT work. The upgrade has nothing assigned to the REC button, so nothing happens when you press it twice.

You must use RM to assign the Record function to the (normal, unshifted) REC button, then copy'n'paste the updated upgrade code to IR.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 7562 remotes, you can get around the requirement to press record twice by making the device type of the upgrade into TV or SAT - ie a device that doesn't have a record function - I'm not sure if that also applies on yours.

If the upgrade type is VCR then the double press requirement is enforced.

But this could mess up volume punch through if you're using it.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be several misconceptions bouncing around in this thread. Perhaps I can summarize/clarify what the "correct" behaviour is, and then you decide how you want to implement the record function.

The HTPro (URC-9911) has BUILT IN TO IT a mechanism to protect you from yourself inadvertently recording, such that to have the "REC" button send its assigned basic function (NOT shifted, nor keymoved) in AUD or VCR modes, you must press REC twice.

If you assign a button to the "shift-REC" button, you CANNOT send that function by pressing ONLY the REC button (neither once, nor twice, nor holding it indefinitely). You have to press "SET" followed by "REC".

If you build an upgrade using a DIFFERENT DEVICE TYPE (like TV or CBL) then the function assigned to "REC" will be sent after a SINGLE Keypress.

So if I understand correctly that you WANT to use the "press REC twice" capability, you must build your device upgrade using either VCR or AUD device types, and assign your "record" function as a "regular" button assignment in the upgrade, and it will then only operate after TWO successive keypresses of the "REC" button.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of the HT-PRO's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: