JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using computer I/R link to train 15-2116

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaLearn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Using computer I/R link to train 15-2116 Reply with quote

Is this possible?

Is there a set of I/R codes that can be programmed readily into a PC and then dumped to the 2116?

The ROM download cable... is it just a JTAG cable and if so, where does one find the pinout and voltage levels necessary to program JP1. And where is the code base for the various kinds of devices?

Thanks,

Wannalearn
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, or you could create your own customized setup codes and upload them to your 2116. We post and share upgrades that we've made for different devices; it's possible one's already been made for each of yours. You can modify them to suit your needs/tastes if you're so inclined.

Actually we don't communicate with ROM, we do with the eeprom. Check the JP-1 Files area, interface cables. there's designs/schematics, how to's for Parallel (simplest), serial, and USB cable. The cheapest and simplest is the parallel port cable, followed by the series port, followed by the USB in terms of complecxity, number of components and cost.

Jim
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Using computer I/R link to train 15-2116 Reply with quote

WannaLearn wrote:
The ROM download cable... is it just a JTAG cable and if so, where does one find the pinout and voltage levels necessary to program JP1.

The protocol used to talk to the eeprom is I2C and the pinouts of the cable + a schematic of the remote and the interface can be found in the instructions for the Simple parallel interface.

Last edited by gjarboni on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using computer I/R link to train 15-2116 Reply with quote

WannaLearn wrote:
is it just a JTAG cable and if so, where does one find the pinout and voltage levels necessary to program JP1.

As Jason already pointed out, we (the JP1 community) have already done the hard work for you. Wink Tommy Tyler's excellent interface designs are simply superb. There's no need to reinvent the wheel!
WannaLearn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Hey, I am already learning.

I found the JP1 hardware page and that looks pretty straightforward.

A few questions though;

First off, I was not clear about whether it is possible to use the I/R link on a computer, and if so, whether that is worthwhile. It sounds like the I2C link on the EEPROM is not too clumsy and once you have it put together, you have a lot of flexibility.

I am reasonably knowledgeable about uControllers and I2C.

What about program codes? Is there a table for particular devices that tells you what code instructs a device to perform a particular action.

For example; does the remote send ascii "CH_U" or some such thing to instruct the TV to channel up? Where would one get the list of codes like that for various devices?

And, if I could use the I/R link on a PC, Perhaps I could use it to read I/R codes from my controllers, associate them with instructions, and use that to feed a table (which I could share)??

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

WannaLearn wrote:
First off, I was not clear about whether it is possible to use the I/R link on a computer, and if so, whether that is worthwhile.
I suppose it would be possbile to use the I/R link on the computer to generate and IR signal, and then have you remote learn that signal, but that requires a lot of manual work, and you would run out of learning memory pretty quickly. Much better to use the existing JP1 software and hardware to read/write the EEPROM on the remote.
WannaLearn wrote:

What about program codes? Is there a table for particular devices that tells you what code instructs a device to perform a particular action.
What you refer to as a program code is known in the JP1 world as a setup code. It is a 4 digit number (and associated device type) used to configure the remote to control a particular device. For example, the setup code for controlling my JVC TV is TV/0392. A setup code combines information about the IR protocol to use, as well as some parameters used by that protocol, and a table of device commands assigned to particular keys on the remote. JP1 remotes mostly use EFCs (Extended Function Codes) for the command codes, but sometimes we use OBCs (Original Button Codes) or even raw HEX commands. There are ways to convert between the various different formats. Fortunately the JP1 tools understand all this stuff, and allow you to assign device commands to buttons that aren't included in the original setup code (for example, my JVC TV has discrete Power On (EFC=248) and Power Off (EFC=247) commands, that are not assigned to any buttons in TV/0392 on my URC-6131 remote. Using the JP1 software, I was able to assign these codes to some buttons of my liking.

There is more JP1 software that allows you to create your device upgrades with corresponding setup codes for devices that the JP1 remote doesn't support as shipped. These can then loaded into the remote to provide complete control of the device, without having to program each key manually, either using learning of advanced codes. These device upgrades can be saved as individual files which we then post on a website so that other people can use them without having to reinvent the wheel.

For example, my URC-6131 does not have builtin support for my Bose Wave Radio/CD. With some help from the JP1 community, I was able to create a device upgrade to control it with my URC-6131, and I've made that file available for anyone who wants it.

In terms of documenting all the setup codes and command codes, we don't know them all, but we do know many, and these are documented at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml

The good news is that even when we don't know ahead of time what sort of IR signal controls a particular device, we can simply use the learning feature of the remote to learn the commands from the original remote, and then using the JP1 tools download the learned signals and decode them. Then we can create our own device upgrades using that information!
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

WannaLearn wrote:
whether it is possible to use the I/R link on a computer,

WannaLearn wrote:

For example; does the remote send ascii "CH_U" or some such thing to instruct the TV to channel up? Where would one get the list of codes like that for various devices?

There are a lot of different ways to encode commands in IR signals. Very few of those use anything resembling ascii.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to use the I/R link hardware of a PC in a "raw" mode in which it captures or generates an arbitrary IR waveform (rather than a stream of ascii data). In that case, it wouldn't be very hard to feed the captured raw data of an IR signal to my decodeIR.dll to get it decoded. It also wouldn't be hard to generate the signals based on various information documented by this group and at RemoteCentral.

I think the hard part is that the programming details for the I/R link hardware normally isn't released by the chip manufacturer, except under nondisclosure to specific companies (such as BIOS writing companies).

For individual devices, the .txt files saved from KM or RM (in the Yahoo JP1 group's files area) are the best table of command to action for that particular device. For certain brands (especially Sony) there are more general (multiple device) tables.
WannaLearn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I am really starting to pick this up now.

I read the HW spec for converting a parallel port to I2C and that seems straightforward. I have downloaded the IR software, which appears to pull data from the remote, puts it into a EXCEL spreadsheet where I can modify it, and then downloads it to the remote.

Last night I did some programming and learning on my 2116 to get it to do things that were not in the setup code for my devices.. for example, I was unable to change video/RF modes on my APEX TV, now I can. I also played with the MACRO function a bit so that when I hit the mute button, it drops down to a quiet level rather than completely silent... I always wanted that so you can engage in conversation when a commercial is on, but don't have to watch the TV to see when the commercial is over.

I appreciate you guys putting all of this information together. Maybe at some point, I can actually contribute to the group. At this point, I am a sponge soaking up all of the effort everyone else has provided. Smile

Next steps, build the I2C cable (easy for me.. I have access to a labstock) , program my remote, and download it to a file.

One of my biggest concerns about spending the time to program the remote was that when I got done, the batteries would be worn out and I would have to re-program.

Thanks!
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storage life in the eeprom is supposedto be about 100 years without batteries supplying power. I have mailed remotes overseas to people, without batteries in them and two weeks later after inserting batteries the programming was still perfect. If you install an extender, after replacing batteries you'd have to re-start the extender (2 key presses), but the basic programming wasn't altered.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: