JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Protocols that don't yet work with the HCS08 CPU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattg568

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Protocols that don't yet work with the HCS08 CPU Reply with quote

In this thread: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9553 Capn Trips showed me how to make the Pioneer 4DEV protocol work with the HCS08 CPU OFA remotes, which without that trick, wouldn't let the upgrade that uses that protocol work with the remote.

Now I need a way to make the Pioneer DVD protocol work the same way.

Does anyone know how to do it like how Capn Trips made the Pioneer 4DEV protocol work?

Also, why is it that the HCS08 CPU has multiple protocols that don't work with it yet in RM? I've seen some people that have the same issue as me, but with a different protocol that doesn't work with the HCS08 CPU.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously, add this to the [Pioneer DVD] section of Protocols.ini
Code:
Code.HCS08=  20 15 21 43 62 A5 44 08 08 01 11 01 09 01 11 03
20 31 8A 10 A5 08 4E 8C BE 67 54 E6 61 B7 61 00 67 05 10 A3 CC FF 5F 3F AC 6E 01 A9 AD F6 6E 05 AC 6E 06 A9 AD EE CD FF 92 25 EC 81

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Protocols that don't yet work with the HCS08 CPU Reply with quote

mattg568 wrote:
Also, why is it that the HCS08 CPU has multiple protocols that don't work with it yet in RM? I've seen some people that have the same issue as me, but with a different protocol that doesn't work with the HCS08 CPU.

If a protocol is home-made, like the Pioneer 4DEV protocol is, and it was written in S3C8 assembly language, somebody would need to re-write it using the HCS08 assembly language for it to work with a JP1.2 remote.

The Pioneer DVD protocol was originally a UEI protocol, but then they abandoned it and went with the MIX variant, so it's unlikely that UEI will ever develop an HCS08 version of it, which means somebody here would need to write an HCS08 version. However, the MIX protocol is present in pretty much all current US remotes, and it can do everything that the DVD protocol can do.
mattg568

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capn Trips. And Rob, this upgrade http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1856 is what I use for my DVD player. Can it be as simple to change the protocol from Pioneer DVD to Pioneer MIX in RM because I tried that and I think it didn't work.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Maybe what I did won't work, but I just took the HCS08 Pioneer DVD2 protocol code from Keymap Master above.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg568 wrote:
Thanks Capn Trips. And Rob, this upgrade http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1856 is what I use for my DVD player. Can it be as simple to change the protocol from Pioneer DVD to Pioneer MIX in RM because I tried that and I think it didn't work.
It's not QUITE as simple, but you have to ensure the appropriate device numbers are entered and then ensure you have the OBCs entered correctly for each function, as they may not transfer correctly when you just change Protocols in RM.

Amazon Firestick
mattg568

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade had this:

Pioneer DVD
Device 1 = 163
Device 2 = 175
Prefix Command = 153

Upon changing to Pioneer MIX it made the 153 go away. The 153 was also the constant OBC code so all I did was put that in Cmd1 (OBC), loaded it into my 10820 and it would seem that it works.
kupakai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a small problem withe Pioneer DVD protocol in protocols.ini.
The last version used to have this line:

CmdParmInit=PickInitializer(0,,0) PickInitializer(1,,1) PickInitializer(2,0,2)

and as I mentioned in this thread, I think it is supposed to be this:

CmdParmInit=PickInitializer(0,,0) PickInitializer(1,,2) PickInitializer(2,0,1)

The last version that comes with RM 1.85 seems to have been not quite fixed. It has this line:

[CmdParmInit=PickInitializer(0,,0) PickInitializer(1,,1) PickInitializer(2,0,1)
mattg568

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
OK. Maybe what I did won't work, but I just took the HCS08 Pioneer DVD2 protocol code from Keymap Master above.

It doesn't actually work. I noticed that the code you posted looks different than the Pioneer DVD codes in protocols.ini and even when pasting it into the file and saving, RM from then on refuses to open until a reinstall of RM.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg568 wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:

It doesn't actually work. I noticed that the code you posted looks different than the Pioneer DVD codes in protocols.ini and even when pasting it into the file and saving, RM from then on refuses to open until a reinstall of RM.
Well, you don't know that the protocol doesn't work. Just that I did not provide the correct syntax for your insertion, so RM wouldn't open. Sorry for not being specific and precise enough. The code I provided has too many spaces after the = sign (there should be none). And it needs to go in the Pioneer DVD2 section rather than the Pioneer DVD section. Try this added to the Pioneer DVD2 (not Pioneer DVD) section of protocols.ini.

Code:
Code.HCS08=20 15 21 43 62 A5 44 08 08 01 11 01 09 01 11 03 20 31 8A 10 A5 08 4E 8C BE 67 54 E6 61 B7 61 00 67 05 10 A3 CC FF 5F 3F AC 6E 01 A9 AD F6 6E 05 AC 6E 06 A9 AD EE CD FF 92 25 EC 81

There should be NO CARRIAGE RETURNS between lines of code, unless preceded by a \ (see other entrties for syntax).

I see that there are NO other versions of that Pioneer DVD2 protocol in there, but everything else required is, so just paste it in after the notes section but before the Pioneer MIX protocol entry begins.

If done properly, RM will open and the Pioneer DVD2 protocol will be available in the drop-down for the 10820. Whether or not the upgrade WORKS is the question that I can't answer, but a KM upgrade for the 10820 would result in the same protocol (although not required as a protocol upgrade).

This leads me to believe that the Pioneer DVD2 protocol is built-into the 10820, but RM doesn't relflect that properly yet (probably another protocols.ini entry). However, that doesn't matter, since all you REALLY want is to be able to build the DEVICE upgrade and this will allow you to do that in RM.

Amazon Firestick
mattg568

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After putting that into the ini file and loading the upgrade it would only turn the dvd player on and off.

Wouldn't it be better that I can just simply open the upgrade, change the protocol from DVD to MIX, re-insert that third part back into the protocol parameters, switch the remote to the 10820 and be done with it?

It actually works that way.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's assembler code inside the Pioneer DVD executor that decides when to send the 1-part signal and when to send the 2-part signal. It makes this decision based on a bit in the OBC binary.

This was fine as long as Pioneer stuck to their own rules regarding the 2 versions of the signal, but they didn't, so UEI changed the executor to use 2 variable bytes and they removed all the logic that I mentioned earlier from the executor. The 2-byte executor is more flexible but the device upgrade code is twice the size.

The DVD2 selection was invented for people who have the later version of the UEI executor in their remotes, it's purpose was to let people such as yourself open an upgrade that uses the old DVD protocol and then simply change the selected protocol to DVD2.

You are absolutely correct that you could format the same upgrade using the MIX protocol, but you would need to know when to select the two different Pioneer formats for each button, as KM and RM won't do it for you.

Assuming that you don't know when to select one format over the other, you would need to learn all of the buttons from your DVD remote and use the learned data to tell you which format each button uses.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg568 wrote:
Wouldn't it be better that I can just simply open the upgrade, change the protocol from DVD to MIX, re-insert that third part back into the protocol parameters, switch the remote to the 10820 and be done with it?

It actually works that way.
Actually, the "simplest" thing to do would be for you to use KeymapMaster, which DOES support the 10820 using the Pioneer DVD2 protocol. Rolling Eyes

Amazon Firestick
mattg568

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM uses Microsoft Excel, right? I don't have Microsoft Office. Nor am I willing to pay for it just to get at one program. I would either get a Harmony, or more likely stick to my OEM remotes.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then. Since you seem to have solved this by using the Pioneer Mix protocol, then the lack of Pioneer DVD is not that big a deal.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: