JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Copying software to another computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Copying software to another computer Reply with quote

I plan on going to my sister's house to do a few things. One involves updating their URC-8910 due their replacing their Sony TV with a Sharp. Since I'm not familiar with the Sharp (I had a similar Sony TV, so set up the remote the same as mine), I will probably need to fiddle around with setups and keycodes to update the remote. I downloaded a few from the file section, so hopefully one will work. It sort-of works with built-in code 0093 right now.

Will IR 7.03 and RM 1.80 work OK if I simply copy the directory trees to a CD or USB key, then just copy them to her computer? Both will end up in C:\IR and C:\RM. Are there any .INI files to redo, or is everything in the registry and both will start as if newly installed? (I'm also trying to remember if that computer has a parallel port or not.)
jetskier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work that way. You will need the Java runtimes for RM to work unless you run the standalone executable.

IR builds/reads the registry on startup. If the entries are not there, it will create them. You will have to point it to the correct RDF folder.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful of any shortcuts for IR that you might have in those directories as if the working directory is "not there" it'll give you some weird protection failure (although I think there was going to be a fix for this one a while back)

otherwise it's pretty simple, copy and go. IR will need the Java run time installed, so bring that along.

BTW, I routinely use the Microsoft SyncToy to keep copies of all of my JP1 stuff synced between my work laptop and my mac (running windows/parallels) at home. RM whines a bit if the directory structure isn't the same and you copy the init file, but no real big deal.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't forget RDF directory and Maps and images!
Most important, remember, all the stuff is here, so you can download from the file section from wherever you are Smile Also I'd carry KM just in case of problems with reading some upgrades.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that copying to CD will make all files read only, this may cause problems with any .ini files. If you zip the directories the file attributes will be saved.

Mike
andyross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've copied the files to a USB thumb drive, and will simply copy them to her computer before running them. The RDF's are in a subdir under \IR, and RM's images are with the program.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem you might run into is that the paths stored in RM's remotemaster.properties file won't match the new computer. You can either manually correct that file using your favorite text editor, or simply delete it and let RM create a valid one when you run RM.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: