JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apple Mac Mini Remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Apple Mac Mini Remote Reply with quote

1. Device: Mac Mini
2. Type of device: Computer IR remote
3. Year: 2006
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC9910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No
6. Still have original remote?Yes
7. Checked the file section?Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)?Yes, there is a listing for Mac Mini
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? Mo JP1 cable

Let me elaborate. I am talking about the 6 button midget remote that comes with all recent Apple computers. This remote can actually generate any of 256 6 button sets. I am using MythTV on a Mac Mini and want more than 6 buttons. The IR interface on the Mac Mini is physcially able to recognize and distingusih all 6x256 codes, and no others.

What I want to do is get my URC9910 to generate about 30 of these codes. While the 9910 can capture them, it does not have enough capture memory to hold 30. Right now I'm using a separate learning remote that has more capture memory. What I would really like is a download for the 9910 with at least 30 of these codes.

I don't have a JP1 cable. I have been getting wav file downloads from One for ALL, for my other devices.

I'm hoping that someone knows of a code set I can get from One for ALL, that at least has one set of the 6 codes for Apple remote. Of course it would be even better if someone had a set with more than 6.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best we can do for you here, unless anyone else here has one of these Mac remotes, is to recommend that you purchase a $15 JP1 cable. Then you can learn the signals using the URC-9910, download the memory, and convert the learned data into an upgrade that you can then re-load into the URC-9910.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in a few different threads about this Apply IR protocol recently in a few different forums.

I think Rob already made a custom protocol for it. But I haven't done the forum search here to find that thread.

To remind any other experts which protocol I mean:

It is similar to NEC1 device 238.135, but instead of a check byte for the OBC, the fourth byte is an arbitrary value giving which of the 256 sets it is.

In other threads we were talking about more than six OBC numbers. In that CCF file mentioned above are the six OBC numbers (third byte) 2, 4, 7, 8, 11 and 13, all in set (fourth byte) 17.

I expect km wants those six OBC values for multiple values of the last byte. That would be very easy with a protocol using two byte hex commands.

I don't know of any official UEI upgrade for that, so I think you'd need to make your own .wav file with JP1 software. The cable would make things easier, but isn't really needed.

.wav files are cumulative in the remote, so if you want to keep any setup codes you downloaded from OFA, you'd need to include those in the .wav file you build.

If the upgrade area gets filled by all that you might want to instead pick a single OBC number (from those six) and then use single byte hex commands to produce any number of the 256 "sets". Your description makes it sound like MythTV would be just as happy with one command in 30 different sets as it would be with six commands times five different sets.

The Robman wrote:
you can learn the signals using the URC-9910, download the memory, and convert the learned data

I guess Rob either didn't track down the CCF you mentioned (a URL would have helped) or didn't have time to look at those six signals. We don't need learned signals. That CCF is plenty.

Many of the other threads about this protocol mention iPod, because some docking device for the iPod uses the same signals.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see a link for any CCF file, so I didn't know we had one.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Mac Mini Remote Reply with quote

km wrote:
able to recognize and distingusih all 6x256 codes, and no others.

Are you sure about "no others".

The six button remote can generate just 6 function numbers in each of 256 "sets". But other remotes for this protocol have more than six functions per set. The protocol supports 256 functions in each of the 256 sets.

Maybe your MythTV can understand all of those and you just didn't have a way to try the others.

Rob posted a JP1 upgrade at:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4481
that gives six commands for one set, but is trivial to extend to any number of commands in one set. Maybe that is all you need.

As I mentioned earlier, to load a JP1 upgrade by .wav file you must include all the other upgrades you got earlier via .wav that you want to keep. If you tell us the setup code type and number of each of those upgrades, we probably can tell you how to duplicate them in JP1 software.

In another thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54002#54002
Rob said there is an official UEI protocol for Apple. That one uses two byte hex commands so it can mix both OBCs and "sets".

Rob, is there an official setup code number to go with that official protocol (so km could get the .wav file from OFA)? I doubt that it would have enough buttons defined and since it is two byte hex, EFC numbers won't work on a 9910. But it may be worth trying.
km

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnsfine, thanks for all the info!

First, I can confirm your analysis of the pattern. While I haven't as yet learned the JP1 infrastructure, I have been using the lirc tools. I used irrecord to capture several sets of apple codes, and built a conf file for lircd to recognize them.

The sequences are all of the form 0x87EEXXYY, where XX picks out the set and YY is
one of 02,04,07,08,0b,0d (as you noted).

I'm currently varying both XX and YY, but as you note I could just as easily fix YY and just vary XX.

When I said that the receiver recognized only these patterns, what I should have said is that that with irrecord this IR receiver did not recognize any input from any remote I had other than the Apple remote. My first hope was just to make lircd recognize one of the standard non-apple remotes.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me now that both XX and YY can vary arbitrarily, and that its just that I didn't have a way to generate other YY's. So if the easiest way to generate this is to fix XX and vary YY, I expect that will be fine.

Since its doubtful that any official OFA download will map enough buttons, I guess I need to go down the JP!1 tools path. However, I am a newbie at this, so a little coaching would be appreciated.

The AIO codes I'm currently using are

TV 1610
VCR 0745
DVD 0490
VCR 0636
VCR 0740
VCR 1239
CBL 0476
TV 0156

It sounds like the most straight forward approach is to generate an Apple with XX fixed and enough YY's to cover the 9910 keys, and build one wav file with this and the codes above.

How do I proceed?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I saw your last post I assumed your IR receiver was very restricted. You said you tried other remotes and it couldn't process them. But maybe it can receive a wide range of signals and you just tested signals outside that range.

km wrote:
The sequences are all of the form 0x87EEXXYY, where XX picks out the set and YY is one of 02,04,07,08,0b,0d (as you noted).

Are you sure? I wonder what is reversing the sequence. I would have expected EE87YYXX.

But anyway, the fact that it gives you all four bytes (EE, 87, YY and XX) makes me guess it can handle other values in all those bytes.

If you picked any setup code for NEC1 protocol, I think the signal would be understood in the same form as Apple signals. For NEC1, the first two bytes would be something other than EE, 87 and the next two bytes XX, and YY will always add up to FF.

There are lots of built-in setup codes for NEC1. You said you're already using TV/0156 which is a very common NEC1 setup code. What does irrecord see when you use TV/0156?

km wrote:
I guess I need to go down the JP!1 tools path. However, I am a newbie at this, so a little coaching would be appreciated.

If irrecord can't understand NEC1 signals, you probably will need to use the JP1 software, and we'll help you with that.

But NEC1 would be easier, so try that first.

km wrote:
The AIO codes I'm currently using are

TV 1610

I don't have data on that one. If you need a .wav file, we'll need to find some help with that one. Usually Rob comes up with something. Meanwhile, what brand and model TV is that?

VCR 0745

That's the Tivo code, right? We have plenty of JP1 files for that.

DVD 0490

Generic Panasonic DVD code, and built-in your remote, so it doesn't need to be in the .wav file.

VCR 0636

That Sony code set is also built-in, so not needed in .wav

VCR 0740

Another Tivo code. You may need to explain your Tivo use a little, so we can help you get those right.

VCR 1239

Yet another Tivo code.

CBL 0476

Generic General Instruments code set, built-in on your remote, not needed in .wav file.

TV 0156

Generic Toshiba TV, built-in on your remote, not needed in .wav file, and your only NEC1 code set, so it's the easy way to test how irrecord responds to NEC1, but if NEC1 works well, we can select a different NEC1 code set for mythTV to avoid conflicts with the Toshiba.
km

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired the TV 0156 (Toshiba/Nec) through irrecord and its no good. The program sees the keypresses, but maps all the keys the same way.

This is what it reports

begin remote

name /tmp/nec
bits 0
eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
pre_data_bits 32
pre_data 0x0
gap 211991
toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
one 0x0
two 0x0
three 0x0
end codes

Compare that to what it sees for the apple remote

begin remote

name /tmp/apple
bits 8
eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
pre_data_bits 24
pre_data 0x87EE4E
gap 211992
toggle_bit_mask 0x87EE4E0B

begin codes
one 0x0B
two 0x07
three 0x0D
end codes

end remote

Is there a different NEC device I should try?

As far as my existing codes, the 4 different VCR's are all Tivo's. Three are identical series 1 Philips, and 1 is a Sony Tivo. Apparently the Sony is built in. The Philips are configured to use different "remote numbers", so I have 3 different downloads for them.

The TV 1610 is an Olevia 532V, with a remote known as RC-LTU. The 5 series comes in different screen sizes and speaker configurations but the remotes are the same.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:
I tired the TV 0156 (Toshiba/Nec) through irrecord and its no good.

I don't understand why it can see Apple codes and not NEC codes, but I guess you are stuck with Apple codes, so we'll continue figuring out how to set up the .wav file.
different NEC device I should try?

km wrote:
The Philips are configured to use different "remote numbers", so I have 3 different downloads for them.

I'm sure we can select a good Tivo upgrade to base those on. Varying the unit number will be easy.

As long as you are recreating your upgrades through JP1 software, you can rearrange or add functions any way you like. You may want to look at some Tivo upgrades for examples, and think about whether there is any improvement to the arrangement of functions on buttons you would like.

km wrote:
The TV 1610 is an Olevia 532V, with a remote known as RC-LTU.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything, unless Rob jumps in and answers that. But there's a good chance this file will do it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4747

If that file is correct, then three of the built-in setup codes are nearly correct: TV/0030, TV/0056 and TV/0178. Try one of those. If any buttons work in one of those setup codes, we're on the right track and the details are just a little effort. If none of the buttons work, that file is also wrong and I'm not sure where to look for something better.

Edit: It looks like that file won't be correct. See this thread:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?3216,2#29

But maybe the experts giving answers there can give the JP1 info needed to make your .wav file.
km

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure none of the built ins will handle the Olevia, since I went though the procedure of cycling through all the TV codes attempting to find the power button with no luck.

But it appears that Evan S has an upgrade file for the Olevia

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4433

As to the Tivos, I had a look at some of the upgrade files but couldn't tell how they distinguished the different remote id's. Right now I'm not very picky on the fine points of the button mapping.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all the required info is available, we just need to give you a little help putting it all together.

Earlier, I missed most of the Olevia data because it is listed as "Syntax Olevia" and I was looking in various alphabetical lists under O instead of S.

Have you downloaded and tried either RemoteMaster or KeyMapMaster? Or did you look at those upgrades as raw text?

I prefer RemoteMaster. If you had a good reason to use Excel rather than Java, KeyMapMaster might make sense, but you'll need Java anyway for making a .wav file.
km

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have RM up and running and have had a look at the Olevia and Tivo rdmu's.

Some questions:

1) I haven't looked at ir.exe. Do I need that to generate the wav files from device/protocol output code from RM, or is ir.exe just for use with a cable?

2) I'm a bit confused on the Tivo. In setup it says "TiVo support up to 9 different unit codes_ change the unit code in the cell above (B7) to change the unit code". I would guess that B7 is a reference to the KM spreadsheet. How do I change it in RM.

3) Where should I start with the Apple code? Should I be creating an rdmu from scratch or modifying some existing rdmu?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:
1) I haven't looked at ir.exe. Do I need that to generate the wav files from device/protocol output code from RM, or is ir.exe just for use with a cable?

You need ir.exe, also you need to install ir2wav, which is a Java package invoked by ir.exe when you tell it to create a .wav file.

km wrote:

2) I'm a bit confused on the Tivo. In setup it says "TiVo support up to 9 different unit codes_ change the unit code in the cell above (B7) to change the unit code". I would guess that B7 is a reference to the KM spreadsheet. How do I change it in RM.

I'll try to find some time to look at that (if no other expert answers first). Obviously whoever ported the Tivo support from KM to RM forgot to deal with some details.

km wrote:

3) Where should I start with the Apple code? Should I be creating an rdmu from scratch or modifying some existing rdmu?

RM can read the .txt upgrade files that were made with KM as well as rmdu files (when you make changes and save, it always saves as rmdu). You should be starting with an existing Apple upgrade file. Probably the best choices (maybe only choices) are .txt not .rmdu
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:

Those comments are not generated by RM. They must in the user-generated notes of the specific rmdu file you loaded. Please provide a link to the file you are using so we can correct that.

Anyway, to answer your question, you just have to change the value in the "Unit Code" field, which defaults to 0.

Th
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
km

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tivo file I was using is

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1340

However, the setup screen doesn't show a "unit code" field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: