JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slingbox Pro - Emerson AV switch and 3 series 1 TIVO's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffjohnson14 wrote:
I was kinda thinking of using the 8910 after I get this slingbox thing figured out. I also bought a Home Producer 8 a couple years ago and never finished setting it up.

You probably want to leave the Producer 8 in the drawer and just focus on the URC-8910.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible to use an unused function code to switch unit #'s while keeping with only 1 device+protocol upgrade. Depending on the size, you might be able to squeeze the AV switcher protocol into it also. If it can't be done, then he'll have to reload the device+protocol upgrades via the Slingbox UI each time he wants to control another device.
jeffjohnson14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the Tivo's at lunch.

If I put all 3 in standby, it requires a press of the TIVO button to start-up. When I press the TIVO button on the code 0 remote they all turn on.
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You basically wouldn't use the TiVo or LiveTV button anymore.

There is an IR that goes directly to the Now Playing list. It isn't on the original TiVo remote, but it can be programmed in (I use it on my JP1 remotes). The difference with the direct "Now Playing" IR is it doesn't turn any units on. Only units that are already on will respond. After getting to Now Playing, you press left arrow, and you are at the main TiVo menu, where you can access all the functions including LiveTV.

I think it is better to wait to see what response Rob gets because getting a single device upgrade to handle all your TiVo's will be a more elegant situation.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
I think it is better to wait to see what response Rob gets because getting a single device upgrade to handle all your TiVo's will be a more elegant situation.

If you're waiting to see what response I get from Sling, I wouldn't wait if I were you. Even if they tell me that it's coming, who knows when that will be?

I think the original version of the official Tivo protocol used 2 variable bytes, where the 2nd byte was basically the unit code. I don't know if we support that version with any of our tools, but if we did, you could use it as a "Tivo Combo" protocol, which would let you program most of the buttons as unit #0, and just a few buttons with units 1, 2 and 3. Then you would use the unit 1,2,3 buttons to turn on the correct Tivo (and automatically switch the video selector).
sfhub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I think the original version of the official Tivo protocol used 2 variable bytes, where the 2nd byte was basically the unit code. I don't know if we support that version with any of our tools, but if we did, you could use it as a "Tivo Combo" protocol, which would let you program most of the buttons as unit #0, and just a few buttons with units 1, 2 and 3. Then you would use the unit 1,2,3 buttons to turn on the correct Tivo (and automatically switch the video selector).

So I don't think I'm getting the reference to Tivo Combo. Could you give me a pointer on where to find or how to implement this?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a Tivo Combo, at least not yet, I was just saying that I think I remember that the original UEI version of the Tivo protocol used two variable bytes, where the 2nd byte was more or less the unit code. I would need to sort through the old files to find it though.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm a little dense today, what is the significance of whether it uses a 2-byte dev section with the 2nd byte being the unit code, or a 3-byte dev section with the 3rd byte being the unit code, or a fixed dev section with the cmd being 2-bytes. It seems like in all those cases with enough motivation the unit code can be made to vary within a single upgrade.

Are you suggesting this information as a precursor to writing a custom protocol handler?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it will probably make more sense if you know what the format of the Tivo signal is. It's based on the traditional NEC format, which is...

8-bit device code
8-bit sub-device code
8-bit command code (ie, OBC)
8-bit complement of command code

For the Tivo version, they replaced the first 4 bits of the complement of the command code with a 4-bit unit code.

When UEI first created their executor for Tivo, they didn't know how to automatically generate the 2nd variable byte (ie, the one that's partially a complement and partially a unit code) so they just made the executor use 2 variable bytes. Eventually, they figured out the unit code thing, and they added a fixed byte where you can enter the unit code and the executor code will automatically put it where it's supposed to be in the signal. The benefit of this revised version was that it uses 1 byte of code per button rather than 2.

Up until now, nobody has needed a "Tivo Combo" protocol, which is in effect what UEI created the first time around, so we've never added support for one.

I won't need to write one for you, I will just need to fig through the archives and find UEI's original version, then I'll need to put something together for protocols.ini so you can use it in RM.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Up until now, nobody has needed a "Tivo Combo" protocol, which is in effect what UEI created the first time around, so we've never added support for one.

I won't need to write one for you, I will just need to fig through the archives and find UEI's original version, then I'll need to put something together for protocols.ini so you can use it in RM.

Ok, that makes much more sense.

So ironically what you are describing is what I was doing originally with the broken ReplayTV (Original) protocol. It was a 2-byte cmd protocol and the unit byte wasn't being updated automatically so I just hand edited the hex to reflect the unit code. I could have made some commands unit 1 and others unit 2, but for my purposes made them all the same unit #.

So it seems I could do the same thing with TiVo (Official 2-byte) that is already present in protocols.ini.

Ironically it has the same update problem for the unit byte that the ReplayTV (Original) protocol had but in this case, I think I can just take advantage of the bug to hand edit the hex to reflect which commands I want to affect other unit #s and which should apply to unit 0.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your suggestion of a TiVo combo this is what I put together. It appears to work as advertised.

Code:
[TiVo (Hacked Official 2-byte Combo)]
PID=01 11
VariantName=2byte
CmdTranslator=Translator(lsb,comp,0,8,0) Translator(lsb,comp,1,4,8) XorCheck(4,12,15,1,4)
CmdParms=OBC=0,Unit Code=0
Notes=hacked official version
DevParms=Main Device=133,Sub Device=48
DeviceTranslator=Translator(lsb,comp,0,8,0) Translator(lsb,comp,1,8,8)
FixedData=5E F3
DefaultCmd=00 F0
CmdIndex=0
Code.S3C80=43 8D 22 8B 12 CF 44 08 08 01 1A 01 06 01 1A 03 \
           31 D7 42 11 A7 08 B7 F6 01 46 46 29 0D 8D 01 49
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffjohnson14 wrote:
I checked out the Tivo's at lunch.

If I put all 3 in standby, it requires a press of the TIVO button to start-up. When I press the TIVO button on the code 0 remote they all turn on.

Jeff, I created this sample upgrade file that you can try out.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4824

There's a .bin file in the archive you can use directly in the SlingClient. No need to use RM unless you want to customize the device upgrade.

---

This upgrade allows you to combine IR control for multiple TiVo Unit IDs within a single device upgrade. This is useful, for example, if you have multiple TiVos attached to a switching device, the output of which is connected to the Slingbox.

The default mapping has buttons 1-3 bound to turn on units 1-3 respectively. Buttons 4-6 are bound to Power Toggle units 1-3 respectively. Button 0 is bound to Power Toggle unit 0 (meaning it will Power Toggle all units)

We assume your video switchbox is either able to automatically sense which input has signal, or can learn an IR function for each input so the switch will automatically select the proper input when that learned IR is encountered.

Since all TiVos will come out of standby when LiveTV or TiVo button are pressed, these have been removed from the remote and replaced with Now Showing. If you'd like to reach the TiVo main menu, press TiVo button, then left arrow.

If you need to change channels, bring up the channel guide and navigate to the channel you want.

If you want to continue using the numeric buttons, you can bind the unit code specific commands to the Input and FP# buttons. These will then show up in the Slingbox->"Remote Control"->Custom menu.

To create your own custom upgrade you need to use RM (RemoteMaster) JP1 tool.

Add protocol-tivocombo.ini to your protocols.ini

Load TiVo-1728.rmdu

Set the "Remote" to Slingbox with UEI PL or JU
Choose "Advanced"->"Export Binary Upgrade"
Place files in your SlingPlayer\SBAV directory
Default filename is V1728_PL.bin

You can select to use your new .bin file by using the Slingbox client

Slingbox->Properties->Slingbox Configuration->Audio/Video Setup
->DVR (Digital Video Recorder)->TiVo->Other->Alternative Code
->V1728
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
As for your request that you can setup the Tivo to work all three Tivos at once, there's no easy way to do that, plus there's no way to mix in the a/v switch with the Tivo codes either.

Sling has hinted that they will make their software multi-device at some point, but that point isn't here yet. If and when they do that, you can load 3 different Tivo codes and one switcher code into the Slingbox all at once and then switch between them in the same way that you would with a remote.

Is THIS what we are waiting for?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. However, this is a different physical device than the regular Slingbox in that it has 4 seperate inputs on the back. Regular Slingbox users, with just the one input, would still benefit from a software upgrade because they could be using a video selector.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Is THIS what we are waiting for?

That is the model OP already has and is why I suggested he would have an easier time if he hooked up the 3 TiVo's using the separate inputs on the Slingbox Pro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: