JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete codes -- brute force method?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Discrete codes -- brute force method? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I think I've pretty much proved that my device (Optimus TV/VCR 13" combo) doesn't have discrete codes. It uses VCR code 1162.

I did the proving by manually going into IR "key moves" and defining every possible EFC (from 000 to 255) onto keys, and testing each key to see if it turns the TV on or off. Pretty painstaking, actually.

Does that in fact prove there are no remote codes for it? Or might the discrete on/off be part of a separate protocol or something?

Thanks,

Eric
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pretty much proves it, unless they happen to have hidden them using, say, another device code, which could have a whole nother 256 OBC's to try. It happens, but only rarely.

You can always use ToadTog.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Discrete codes -- brute force method? Reply with quote

ehart wrote:
I think I've pretty much proved that my device (Optimus TV/VCR 13" combo) doesn't have discrete codes. It uses VCR code 1162.

I did the proving by manually going into IR "key moves" and defining every possible EFC (from 000 to 255) onto keys, and testing each key to see if it turns the TV on or off. Pretty painstaking, actually.

First off, that's an incredibly time consuming way to test all 256 EFCs, a much easier way would be to create dummy upgrades that have the EFCs assigned to buttons, then load the codes and test the buttons.

But regardless, VCR/1162 is a combo code which doesn't reliably support EFCs, so testing EFCs with this code doesn't actually prove anything. You would need to test all the EFCs for the 2 or 3 device codes that make up the combo.
ehart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First off, that's an incredibly time consuming way to test all 256 EFCs, a much easier way would be to create dummy upgrades that have the EFCs assigned to buttons, then load the codes and test the buttons.

So I should do this test using RM (or KM), instead of just in IR?

Quote:
VCR/1162 is a combo code which doesn't reliably support EFCs, so testing EFCs with this code doesn't actually prove anything. You would need to test all the EFCs for the 2 or 3 device codes that make up the combo.

Is there any way to tell what the 2 or 3 device codes are?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehart wrote:
So I should do this test using RM (or KM), instead of just in IR?

Right. And once you move over to KM or RM, it's usually easier to work with OBCs rather than EFCs, but eithr will work.
ehart wrote:
Is there any way to tell what the 2 or 3 device codes are?

VCR/1162 is a well known code, so I don't even need to look that one up. That code is a combination of VCR/0162 (Panasonic device 144.0) and VCR/0454 (Panasonic device 144.1). The TV controls may come from TV/0250 (Panasonic 128.0).
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be one more on subdevice 144.5 - obc 43 for Tape Position. It displays relative place where the tape now is. Very convenient on VCR.
ehart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm doing the same research/testing for a Liteon DVD player/recorder. How likely is it that it also uses multiple "code sets" (for lack of a better word)?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all of the signals that you learned from the Lite-on remote all use the same protocol and device code, I would say that it's unlikely. If you had learned the signals from your Panasonic TV/VCR combo remote you would have noticed that the three, maybe four, different device codes were used and this would have been your clue.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, wouldn't it be interesting if it used NEC1 in addition to JVC. Half of these LiteOn boxes, and the DigitalMax I played with, use JVC, the rest use NEC1. Do the manufacturers pull tricks like that on us? Maybe discrete power is there after all somehow? Fat chance Twisted Evil
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just means that Lite-On is using two difference sources for the box, where one of the sources is probably JVC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: