JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TV mode macro not working (URC-6131 - Extender 1)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: TV mode macro not working (URC-6131 - Extender 1) Reply with quote

I have just purchased a Viewsonic N2010 LCD for the kitchen. I am using the Avcast media cablecasters to broadcast video from my HT to my kitchen. I have a couple of URC-6131s that I use for my existing HT setup. I need to access 2 Tivos, 1 Replay TV, a Philips DVP1642 DVD player.

I took one of these 6131 remotes and deleted several devices that were specific to the HT but left the Tivos, Replay, and DVD player. I looked for a Viewsonic N2010 upgrade but couldn't find one. I then took a learning remote that I have (URC_8811) and learned most of the commands that I need from the TV remote. I then copied them into IR for the URC-6131.

I have the Tivos and Replay on cable channels 75, 77, and 79. I modified my macros for each of these devices to change the TV channel when each device was selected. These device keys work OK. However, I can't seem to get the TV device to work. When I select the TV device, none of the keys affect the TV. For example, if I am watching Tivo 1 and then select the TV device and try to change the channel, it changes the channel on the Tivo, not the channel on the TV tuner. Same for the power button, it turns off the Tivo not the TV.

I suspect I don't have my macros correct. I have posted my IR file in the Diagnosis area

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3808

My TV device macro is pretty basic V_TV;O_TV

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, when I first upload the IR file to the remote, if the TV device is the first key pressed, the TV buttons seem to work OK. It's just after pressing one of the other devices that I can never get the TV buttons to work again.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to get new Viewsonic TV to work with URC-6131 Reply with quote

bonnie_Raitt wrote:
I then took a learning remote that I have (URC_8811) and learned most of the commands that I need from the TV remote. I then copied them into IR for the URC-6131.

Should we assume what you really mean by this is that you used the data gleamed from the learned signals to build a new upgrade (using KM or RM) and it is the upgrade that you copied over to IR.

Looking at your IR file I see that you are using an upgrade called TV/2011 to work the TV. This upgrade uses the NEC1 protocol with a device code of 0, does that match what you found when you looked at the learned signals? The reason I ask is because one common newbie mistake is to select a protocol and forget to enter the device codes, which would result in an upgrade like this.

Btw, could you please load your upgrade file into the TV folder in the file section.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I intended. When I look at the learned commands in IR, I see

Protocol NEC
Device 0
SubDevice blank

I have loaded my upgrade file to TV. It is called Viewsonic N2010.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3809

Regarding the TV/2011 name, I just sort of winged it. I knew it was a TV, but I wasn't sure about how to number it.

Do you see anything wrong? Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally read your first post I took it to mean that the TV upgrade wasn't working, but now that I re-read it I see that the only problem is that the macro on the TV device button isn't selecting the TV upgrade (and as you're using an extender, this is really an extender question).

I don't see anything wrong with the TV macro, but I'm not an extender expert. I will re-name this thread and move it to the Extenders forum where it might get closer attention.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I will re-name this thread and move it to the Extenders forum where it might get closer attention.

I see the last post in this Forum was 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it won't take that long to get a response to this request. Thanks
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not an extender expert (but I use one on my 6131s), but I found that whenever I used a X_TV, I had to use X_Cancel.
You could do, for instance, "PVR=X_TV;7;7;X_Cancel;T_PVR;O_PVR"
Or even "PVR=TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR" should work, leaving volume at V_TV.
"PVR=O_TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR" would also be an option, but I'm not sure where audio would end up.
I'm not sure what CBL/SAT=... will do since your audio button is assigned to a standard Sony TV code, and I don't know what DEV_8 is. (leftover from previous setups?)

Myself, I always put the startup macros on "Shifted" device buttons and leave the device buttons to only select a specific device.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
I'm definitely not an extender expert (but I use one on my 6131s), but I found that whenever I used a X_TV, I had to use X_Cancel.
You could do, for instance, "PVR=X_TV;7;7;X_Cancel;T_PVR;O_PVR"
Or even "PVR=TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR" should work, leaving volume at V_TV.
"PVR=O_TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR" would also be an option, but I'm not sure where audio would end up.
I'm not sure what CBL/SAT=... will do since your audio button is assigned to a standard Sony TV code, and I don't know what DEV_8 is. (leftover from previous setups?)

Myself, I always put the startup macros on "Shifted" device buttons and leave the device buttons to only select a specific device.

Well, I tried O_TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR

and

X_TV;7;7;X_Cancel;T_PVR;O_PVR

Neither made a difference. When I first upload the code to the remote and first press the TV device button, the power button turns the TV on and off. As soon as I use the PVR button, the power button powers on/off the Tivo. Even after I again press the TV button, the power button still is directed to the TiVo.

The TV device macro is simply V_TV;O_TV

and yes the DEV8 reference was left over from the previous setup. I have deleted it

Any other ideas? Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnie_Raitt wrote:
As soon as I use the PVR button, the power button powers on/off the Tivo.
That's because the PVR macro sets control to the PVR device:

PVR = X_TV;7;7;T_PVR;O_PVR

In fact, all the device button macros leave the O_ set bound to the device.

Quote:
Even after I again press the TV button, the power button still is directed to the TiVo.
That's puzzling...
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
That's puzzling...

Exactly!
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless by some bizarre circumstance the TV power button didn't get mapped to the O_TV button set. Macros directly on device keys have always been tricky and perhaps the extender isn't doing them correctly. This extender has never been upgraded as far as I know, so it may have some bugs.

You could try adding a T_TV to the TV selection macro (obviously not a desirable solution but might tell us that the power key isn't mapping to O_TV). I noticed that your TV device does not have menu, display, or select mapped. Doesn't that make it hard to control it?

To determine if the extender is handling the macros on the device keys correctly, you could temporarily put the channel changing macros on shifted-device keys and just use the device keys to simply select each device.

Other things to check (nuisance items): make sure your TV code (and other devices) were created using the PVR0PVx1 (URC-6131 PVR Remote Extender1).rdf and not the unextended rdf. Check the rdf version. The rdf in the extender download is older than the one in the rdf package download (I think) so the newer one should be used.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
Unless by some bizarre circumstance the TV power button didn't get mapped to the O_TV button set. Macros directly on device keys have always been tricky and perhaps the extender isn't doing them correctly. This extender has never been upgraded as far as I know, so it may have some bugs.

You could try adding a T_TV to the TV selection macro (obviously not a desirable solution but might tell us that the power key isn't mapping to O_TV). I noticed that your TV device does not have menu, display, or select mapped. Doesn't that make it hard to control it?

To determine if the extender is handling the macros on the device keys correctly, you could temporarily put the channel changing macros on shifted-device keys and just use the device keys to simply select each device.

Other things to check (nuisance items): make sure your TV code (and other devices) were created using the PVR0PVx1 (URC-6131 PVR Remote Extender1).rdf and not the unextended rdf. Check the rdf version. The rdf in the extender download is older than the one in the rdf package download (I think) so the newer one should be used.

I tried adding the T_TV to the TV device button macro but it didn't help.

I will try to read the docs and refresh my memory before I try the shifted device suggestion.

I'm a bit hazy on what you are sying about the extender code. I see I have 2 RDF files in my extender folder:

PVR0PVR0 (URC-6131 PVR Remote).rdf dated 5/14/03 and
PVR0PVx1 (URC-6131 PVR Remote Extender1).rdf dated 5/16/03

I also have a ZIP file, 6131ex1.zip, that I think all these came from dated 11/15/04.

How do I check the version?

In KM when I select the Device Type on the first screen the only 6130 entry is URC-6131 PVR. That is the one I selected. Is this what you meant? Is there a way to tell by looking at the KM generated file?

Sorry to be so dense, but I rarely make changes to my remotes.

Thanks for your help
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnie_Raitt wrote:
In KM when I select the Device Type on the first screen the only 6130 entry is URC-6131 PVR. That is the one I selected. Is this what you meant? Is there a way to tell by looking at the KM generated file?

There is only one URC-6131 selection available in KM. Whether you're using an extender or not only makes a difference if you also wish to use keymoves with your upgrade, which I don't think is the issue here.

In the older versions of KM, the keymove generator was disabled when the URC-6131 was selected, so it was not as issue. The latest version of KM (version 9.06) has a seperate selection box which becomes active when the URC-6131 is selected that you can use to indicate whether you are using an extender.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
I noticed that your TV device does not have menu, display, or select mapped. Doesn't that make it hard to control it?

I added the menu command and reloaded the device file

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3809

After adding the menu command, I tested the remote with the new device upgrade code. No change in described behaviour.

zaphod7501 wrote:
The latest version of KM (version 9.06) has a seperate selection box which becomes active when the URC-6131 is selected that you can use to indicate whether you are using an extender.

I checked in KM and I did select the extender.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDF for the extender in my directory is dated 6/13/05 and is 3681 bytes but I don't think that matters with KM. I've always used RM where it might make a difference. (but possibly only with keymoves)

IR does, however use the RDFs. You might want to start from scratch building the IR file using the latest RDF downloads, or update the RDFs it uses. If you're like me you download from the remote: modify: upload to remote. A fresh start might be needed.

I suspect it's a bug however myself.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the extender really running?
If in doubt, remove a battery, put it back, then press PVR, then Power.
The issue described initially, that TV works only on the first press, makes me suspect no extender there.

If you have 1K 6131, use PVR0PVx1 file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: