JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why can't I find VPT settings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Why can't I find VPT settings? Reply with quote

Not so much a newbie, but I work on my remote so infrequently that every time I do I have to relearn everything. Wink

Just upgraded to a 9910 and for the life of me I can't find where VPT is configured. Searching around I think it's supposed to be under Other Settings, but all I see there are the HT devices, shift keycode, alt shift keycode, alt shift, and backlight timer.

I loaded a tivo KM in which I removed the settings for the 3 volume buttons but when I upload, the buttons send no signal at all. Where can I check my VPT settings? I've looked everywhere I can think to look. Confused
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I find VPT settings? Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
Searching around I think it's supposed to be under Other Settings, but all I see there are the HT devices, shift keycode, alt shift keycode, alt shift, and backlight timer.
Those are settings used with the extender. Are you using the extender or did you perhaps start with the wrong RDF selection?
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 8910_ex1 extender.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key groups are set in the macros for each device. In the default configuration that is shipped with the extender, each one calls a shared macro in Phantom1. To punch through to the receiver (for instance) do DEV_AUD, SET_VOL_KEYS in that shared macro. This way the volume up, volume down, and mute will be mapped to the receiver.
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't seem to work. Here's what phantom1 looks like now:
Quote:
SET_TRANS_KEYS;DEV_AUD;SET_VOL_KEYS;SET_CHAN_KEYS;SET_MENU_KEYS;SET_PIP_KEYS;SET_OTHER_KEYS;SET_LCD

Yet the transmit light still stays off. But if I switch to my receiver device, the volume works just fine, so for some reason the punch through part isn't working.

P.S. Does DEV_xxx only apply to a single following command? So in my phantom1 it would apply to SET_VOL_KEYS but not SET_CHAN_KEYS and following?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaborating on what pH7_jp1 wrote - Default, initial setup in the extender is
Phantom1 SET_TRANS_KEYS;SET_VOL_KEYS;SET_CHAN_KEYS;SET_MENU_KEYS;SET_PIP_KEYS;SET_OTHER_KEYS;SET_LCD
VCR DEV_VCR;Phantom1
CBL DEV_CBL;Phantom1
and so on for other devices (different stuff for HT button) equivalent to the unextended remote.
Under the above default setting, volume is NOT punched through to receiver. It belongs to the device that calls Phantom1.

To punch through to the receiver try this:
Remove Set-Vol-Keys from phantom1
Change (or modify your) device macros to reference the receiver
VCR phantom1; Dev_Aud; Set_Vol_Keys; ... other jobs
CBL phantom1; Dev_Aud; Set_Vol_Keys; ... other jobs
CD phantom1; Dev_SomeOtherReceiver; Set_vol_Keys; phantom 1 ...
and so on for other devices.
I use a separate phantom for that: shift-Phantom1 is Dev_Aud;Set_vol-Keys;Dev_Cancel, and call shift-Phantom1 on several device keys.

If you don't want transport keys on some devices, work out a similar scenario on another Phantom key, remove transports from Phantom1, add that new Phantom or just the Set command to specific device macros. BTW, this part is quite well written up in the extender readme file, if you ever read it Twisted Evil

Edit: if you do add Dev_Aud to the common Phantom1, you will need Dev_Cancel right after setting the volume keysets.
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I did read bits and pieces but not the whole thing. Embarassed I made the mistake of relying first on searching these forums (not that there's anything wrong with searching) and got thrown off track when I saw references to VPT settings which I couldn't find. I should have STARTED with the readme and moved to searching the forums only if I couldn't find the answers there.

It took me a bit of experimenting, but I finally have it working right! Smile

Thanks for your help!
ehart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD, thanks for that explanation. The readme that comes with the Extender doesn't show the defaults the way they are actually created (it doesn't mention the "phantom1" macro). Your instructions worked great for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: