JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Learnt keys don't work when this IR dump file is uploaded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Learnt keys don't work when this IR dump file is uploaded. Reply with quote

OK, maybe there is an easy answer to this, but I can't see any logic in this, and I just gave-up...

First of all, the IR file I'm working onto is at this location:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3423

I have made/customized three upgrades, for the following devices I own:

- DVD 1171 - for a Pioneer DVR-530H S DVD Recorder
- AUDIO 1362 - for a Denon AVR-3801 A/V Amp./Receiver
- DVD 1571 - for a Pioneer DV-575a DVD Player

I looked everywere for information and I collected everything I could to make these upgrades as close to be complete as it is possible (Is there any interest in having them uploaded???)

Unfortunately, the DVD 1171 needs a lot of keys to hold all the functions that the DVR can do, and I need a lot of keymoves to put extra functions onto the shifted keys...

Keymoves' memory is already all used up, so I've learnt 4 Shifted keys from the original remote to fill the gaps...

Everything worked fine after the learning session, and I downloaded the remote into IR and saved the remote's image for future use...

Now the fun begins...

Having uploaded again that imagefile into the remote, the 4 learnt keys don't work anymore!!!

I had to learn again the keys from the original remote to have them working again and... when I downloaded the remote again, I got 8 learnt keys instead of 4! The new learns are listed before the previously learnt keys and seem to be EXACT duplicates of them...

It goes without saying that, if I upload a new Imagefile with the 8 learnt keys, they just don't work again! Sad

Looking at them, they seem to be right, but I'm in no way an expert, and so I hope some of the experts will look at the image file and spot something wrong...

Using latest available versions of all tools here (IR is in BETA version), and manually made a change to the remote's DigitMaps as per this message:

Quote:
The curent URC-9960B01 RDF (KASAKAS0) has an incomplete DigitMaps section, left over from before we figured out how we were going to support the multiple-byte entries (the 9960B01 being the first one we found to have them). Here's an updated section:Code:
[DigitMaps]
072 048 053 094 092 003 302 090 044 046 086 087 010 187 188 058
083 147 011 126 023 081 016 001 127 034 032 021 075 033 030 029
295 301 064 013 091 270 199 209 145 170 131 093 141 208 212 278
This should be included in the next RDF release.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for looking into this!

Ciao all! Joe
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Learnt keys don't work when this IR dump file is uploade Reply with quote

joedaring wrote:

- DVD 1171 - for a Pioneer DVR-530H S DVD Recorder
- AUDIO 1362 - for a Denon AVR-3801 A/V Amp./Receiver
- DVD 1571 - for a Pioneer DV-575a DVD Player

(Is there any interest in having them uploaded???)
There is ALWAYS such interest. Very Happy Of COURSE you are encouraged to share the results of your efforts with the community. So yes, please upload your upgrades to the file section.
joedaring wrote:
Unfortunately, the DVD 1171 needs a lot of keys to hold all the functions that the DVR can do, and I need a lot of keymoves to put extra functions onto the shifted keys...

Keymoves' memory is already all used up, so I've learnt 4 Shifted keys from the original remote to fill the gaps...

Everything worked fine after the learning session, and I downloaded the remote into IR and saved the remote's image for future use...

Now the fun begins...

Having uploaded again that imagefile into the remote, the 4 learnt keys don't work anymore!!!
Am I doing something wrong?
Well, I'm not a 9960B01 expert (nor ANY expert for that matter) Surprised , but this 4K EEPROM remote seems to have been a bit of a challenge for the JP1 community. (Search the fora for this remote and you will see what I mean Confused ) Your long-term answer is to use an extender, converting most of your learning memory to keymove memory, but since such an extender continues to be a work in progress, that doesn't help you right now. Crying or Very sad

As for the learned keys not working properly when uploaded TO the remote, I haven't a clue. Does the remote not transmit ANYTHING, or does it transmit a signal that doesn't work? In the Learned Signals TAB, have you tried re-assigning the learned functions to different buttons? I don't know what this would prove, but perhaps it would narrow down the range of possible problems for an expert.

The only workaround I might suggest (although inelegant) is to create an ADDITIONAL device upgrade, mapping your "shifted" functions to regular ones, and assign this to a different device button (like CD) if you have one to spare.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
joedaring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Learnt keys don't work when this IR dump file is uploade Reply with quote

Hi Capn Trips,

Thanks for the reply...

Quote:

Quote:

8< Snip! 8<

(Is there any interest in having them uploaded???)

There is ALWAYS such interest. Very Happy Of COURSE you are encouraged to share the results of your efforts with the community. So yes, please upload your upgrades to the file section.

OK... I'll do that... I was asking just because they are all devices that have been on the block for quite a while and, while there are no specialized JP1 upgrades, there is plenty of sources to get codes and make them... both in the files section of this site and the Pronto file section at RemoteCentral...

All I did is to clean them up, to remove codes that don't work on these specific devices or redundant ones, and to rearrange them the way I like... I just thought that if anybody doing minor adjustments to upgrades were to upload the modified files again, the files section would be flooded with messy files...

Quote:

Your long-term answer is to use an extender, converting most of your learning memory to keymove memory, but since such an extender continues to be a work in progress, that doesn't help you right now. Crying or Very sad

And, in fact, I want also to send a LOUD S.O.S. call (..._ _ _...) to Nils Ekberg for that extender to see the light Wink

Quote:

Does the remote not transmit ANYTHING, or does it transmit a signal that doesn't work?

I guess something IS transmitted, as I see the Display segments flashing when I press the shifted keys I've learnt the functions to...

Quote:

In the Learned Signals TAB, have you tried re-assigning the learned functions to different buttons?

To tell the truth... NO, I didn't...

Quote:

The only workaround I might suggest (although inelegant) is to create an ADDITIONAL device upgrade,

Thanks for the suggestion, Capn... thought about that myself but, being already a "JP1 purist" Very Happy , I just dismissed the idea because, to tell it with your words, it is INELEGANT and, after all, there must be a way get the learnt keys working after they are upload wia IR...

I start to see the reason why most JP1 experts are cold with respect to the Kameleons (And I've been subliminally warned against buying one Smile), but I still like the Kam and probably I'll be able to use it for all my devices, in the end...

On the other hand, I also ordered a 8910 from Rob 8) , and it still didn't show up on this side of the pond, so I keep my finger crossed for our mail service, sometimes, does strange things...

First remote got here in one week

Thanks for the suggestion Capn...

Ciao ciao

Joe
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...mmm!

Am I the only one with this problem??? Is any of the experts looking at this, please?

NOT a solicitation, just hope someone with better knowledge will try and understand what happens...

Thanks in advance, guys!

Joe
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I feel a bit guilty posting again in this thread to pop it up...

But, apart of Capn' Trips kind reply, I see no other follow-up to my post...

Again, this is NOT a solicitation, since I guess everybody has better things to do than reading/replying in this Forums and I really appreciate the efforts you all do withJP1.

Please, if someone with better knowledge has any idea why my learnt keys don't work when Saved/Reloaded via IR, then let me know...

If, BTW, my post is currently being ignored because it breaks any of the Forum's rules, also let me know... because I re-read it several times and I find it... well... adequate Smile

Thanks a lot, everybody... please bear with me!

Joe
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind that dispite the fact that there are over 6200 members of this forum, there's only a small handful of experts that try to help everyone. If we're all to busy to research something when we first see it, it will fall right off of our rader, so there's nothing wrong with doing the occassional bump. Alot of the time, when an expert reads a post like this, the answer is immediately obvious to us and we can post something to help. But if there isn't an obvious answer and we're too busy to spend the many hours that this sort of research usually takes, we may end up skipping the post hoping that someone else will jump in.

When I first started reading this post, I was hoping to see that the remote being used was an older remote, like the URC-7800 or 15-1994, as these have a known bug where learned signals don't work in device modes where a protocol upgrade has been used. But, even though the post doesn't explicitly state which remote is being used, the quote from the IR documentation implies that it's a URC-9960B01, which shouldn't have this problem.

The only way most experts could figure this one out is to go out and buy a URC-9960B01 remote, then load your IR file into it, and start testing, which is over and above what we expect of the experts, which may go a long way to explaining why nobody has given you a clear reason for your symptoms yet.

However, as a suggestion, rather than focusing on why these particular learned signals don't work, why don't you try replacing some of the other keymoves for other devices with learned signals to see if you can make those work instead.
joedaring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and all,
Really, there wasn't any need to motivate the delay... stating that mine was NOT a solicitation just meant that I'm aware that there may be many good reasons for a post not being answered...

Nevertheless, with the great number of daily posts in the Forums, I also wanted to make sure mine wasn't overlooked for some reasons or, worse, it wasn't being ignored because of Forum's Rules break...

Now I know there is no obvious explanation to my problem with the learnt keys and the 9960 B01 and, of course, I don't expect people run out and buy the same remote just to test my files... actually, I wondered if any chance to spot somehing wrong by looking into my image files existed...

I'll look into the alternatives you suggested me and, of course, there is always the option to re-learn the keys each time I, for some reasons, reload the remote.

Thanks a lot again... have a good sunday!

Joe
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion. Go to IR's Advanced menu and select "Enable Raw Download", which will activate a new button called "Raw Download" under the "General" tab, and "Enable Unsafe Upload", which will activate a new button called "Unsafe Upload".

Then use the "Raw Download" button to download the data from the remote after you have learned some signals, now save this IR file. Next, use the "Unsafe Upload" button to load the data back into the remote and see if the learned buttons still work. If they do, this means that we have a "good" IR file.

Next, use the regular "Download" button to download the data from the remote and save this file, then upload it to verify that the learned signals no longer work. Just for safety, download again and save this file.

You should now have 3 IR files...

1) the RAW download
2) the regular download, and
3) the safety check download

Please zip these three files together and post the zip file in the diagnosis area.
joedaring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Rob,
I followed your advice, and the resulting files are here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3510

I want to add that, soon after learning the keys, RAW downloaded the remote and UNSAFE uploaded it again, the learnt keys were still functional...

However, somehow I expected to find a "Save RAW data" command of some sort somewhere but I didn't, and I saved the normal way what I had just RAW downloaded from the remote.

Then I downloaded the remote again with the standard Download command and saved the resulting file.

The NORMAL Upload command resulted again in the 6 learnt keys present in the remote, BUT NOT working...

At this point I downloaded and saved again the remote's image, as per your suggestion and zipped all the files you find at the link...

Now, I don't know if this makes sense, but I tried again to open the first image saved after the RAW download and tried to "UNSAFE" upload it again to the remote... the learnt keys DON'T work anymore Sad

So, it seems that the RAW data downloaded from the remote and HELD in IR's memory buffer is OK, while using the same image after it has gone to the disk saving/reloading process disrupts the learnt key... Sad

I just hope I did things the way you needed them to be done, Rob... now waiting for your comments on the matter... with no hurry, of course Wink

Ciao, and thanks for lookin into this quirk (IR quirk? Think so!)

Bye, Joe
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry to say that those files didn't yield the answer as there's no difference between them. I tried doing some limited experiments here with a URC-9960B01 and I couldn't get the learned signals to play on the macro buttons, so I don't know what's up.

But, I do have some suggestions. Rather than using a million keymoves to shifted buttons, why don't you just create a 2nd upgrade for all the shifted buttons (for a single device mode) and then use the device multiplexor or device toggler to switch between the two device modes.

And rather than use a DVD device mode on the VCR device button, which means you have to use 3 keymoves (or learns) to fix the VPT, why not just use a VCR device mode as it only has one button less than DVD mode (which means the VPT will work and you'll just need 1 keymove to replace the missing button).
joedaring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob...

Thanks for your comments...

The Robman wrote:
Well, I'm sorry to say that those files didn't yield the answer as there's no difference between them.

...somehow, I just expected this. Sad
As I said, UNSAFE uploading the image after it was saved to the disk, still yeld the non-functional learnt keys... Sad

That's why I was looking for a different, RAW save of some sort...

OK... I'll give up... until some new IR comes out... maybe it'll be fixed Wink

The Robman wrote:
But, I do have some suggestions. Rather than using a million keymoves to shifted buttons, why don't you just create a 2nd upgrade for all the shifted buttons (for a single device mode) and then use the device multiplexor or device toggler to switch between the two device modes.

Now, this is a stimulating suggestion... basicly what also the Capn' Trips suggested, but not using the spare device key as he meant and I thought...

I'll go and investigate a bit more and search the Forum for answers, as I really don't know how to use the Device Toggler/Multiplexor but... is it compatible with the 9960B01??? I can't see it listed among the available remotes... which one should I use?

Thanks, Rob... you help is really appreciated

Ciao, Joe
ldwaard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is related but I found that on the JP1.x remotes the button code for learned commands are different. There is a line to add to the RDF file to help with this. Not sure exactly what it does, but it worked for my.

See this post for more detail...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6915
joedaring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion... I'll be trying it as soon as I can...

Please, do you have a link to the original post that refers to the 7555's RDF and the fix for the learnt keys?

I have read the post you linked for me, but there is only a note about the setting to be added to cure Learnt Keys' swap, but no explanations on what it does... (...not that I understand explanation, anyway Wink )

Thanks a lot! Joe
ldwaard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have read the post you linked for me, but there is only a note about the setting to be added to cure Learnt Keys' swap, but no explanations on what it does... (...not that I understand explanation, anyway)

I posted a little better explaination in my other post, but I wanted to address it a little here as well.

The post I referenced for the 7555 (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6816&highlight=7555) does not go into detail as to exactly what the line does. It doesn't even state what the fix is, just that it is fixed. I compared the RDF files and found the "LearnedDevBtnSwapped=Yes" line that seems to fix the problem on my remote.

What it appears to do is change the device button hex values for the learned signals. Without this setting the device button hex values were being changed after the download to "correct" the value to what IR thought it should be. When uploaded back to the remote (even without any changes), they were not mapped to the correct device. In my case, they happened to be mapped to one of the other devices. However, depending on which device you try to map it to, it might not be mapped to any device.

Hope that explains it.
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

what can I say? THANK YOU!!! Smile)

This tweak to the RDF works for curing my problem with the learnt keys on the 9960 B01 too!

With the original RDF the learnt keys ended-up in the CBL device after saving/loading the IR image... now they stay put where they belong.

Thanks for suggesting to try the fix... please, whoever is taking care of the RDFs, include the new setting for the 9960 B01 in the next RDFs package...

Ciao Ciao!!!

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: