JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Codes for new RCA DVD player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Codes for new RCA DVD player? Reply with quote

1. Device: RCA DRC200N
2. Type of device: DVD player
3. Year:2006
4. JP1 Remote model: URC8910
5. JP1 user? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Yes
10. Learning remote question? See below

I've used the learning function to learn one code from the existing remote. Certainly I could (and will, if necessary) learn the whole darn set, but it seems to me that there's a good chance that this remote uses some set that has been used by some other manufacturer at some point. Thomson (RCA) isn't known for their originality.

This is a very cheap and small DVD player that I bought at Best Buy for $35.

I've tried all of the RCA preset codes that come built-in to the 8910, but none of those have functioned. Unfortunately, though, I don't have enough understanding of how these protocols function to make much sense of the code that I've learned from the original remote. Here's what IR says that I've captured:

Protocol: NEC1
Device: 0
Subdevice is blank
OBC: 197
Hex Cmd: 5C
EFC: 176

Is there any way to tell from this information what existing DVD player codes are likely candidates? Or should I just go learn the whole darn remote?

I'm sure that there are important facts that I've neglected to report, so feel free to ask me for more information. Thanks in advance.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that an RCA player uses something other than the standard RCA DVD code, but that does appear to be the case. Unfortunately, the "NEC1 device code 0" combo is very common so there's no chance of us spotting a match based on just one code, so I think you're just going to have to set aside 10 minutes or so and learn the complete set. We've all had to learn complete remotes many times, it really doesn't take very long.
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm surprised that an RCA player uses something other than the standard RCA DVD code, but that does appear to be the case. Unfortunately, the "NEC1 device code 0" combo is very common so there's no chance of us spotting a match based on just one code, so I think you're just going to have to set aside 10 minutes or so and learn the complete set. We've all had to learn complete remotes many times, it really doesn't take very long.

I suspect that Thomson just OEMed it from some other manufacturer, and if I knew who that was I might be able to find the right code set. I guess I'll just go ahead and learn the codes from the original remote. Once I get that done, is there any easy way to transform all those learned codes into a standard device file?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I hope this document has helped show you how easy using JP1 can really be.

<VBG> I would tend not to use the word "easy" in this description! Very little of what is in that page is in any way "easy", especially the section on creating an upgrade from scratch.

Frankly, I'm amazed that the mechanisms used by these IR remotes are as complex as they appear to be. But I'm glad that there are people like you who have gone to the trouble to understand them and develop tools to work with them.

BTW, I found a "Pronto" (whatever that is) code set for a recent RCA DVD player. It may or may not be similar to mine, but the model number seems to have some commonality. Mine is a DRC200N, this one is called a DRC220.

I used the decode program to take it apart, and loaded the result into Excel. But now that I've done that, I find that I have no idea what all that data means. There seems to be about 12 codes for power on/off, and several more for the various functions. But I can't figure out how to relate any of it back to the code that I learned from my remote. I'm not even sure which are the relevant codes - there are a bunch that are labeled with an RCA protocol, and others that are labeled with a NEC1 protocol. Then again, maybe it isn't a match at all.

I'll try find some time to tinker with it later.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have confusing Pronto decodes, don't waste your time. Your BEST tool is your learning remote. Learn all of the signals (probably in batches of about 20-30) and decode them in IR's learning tab. Build your upgrade which you now KNOW will be correct, and off you go.

About an hour of work (presuming you are already a bit familiar with the programs)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gilliland wrote:
I would tend not to use the word "easy" in this description! Very little of what is in that page is in any way "easy", especially the section on creating an upgrade from scratch.

It appears that in your case my document has failed to achieve it's goal, the goal being to demonstrate that the JP1 process is alot easier than it at first appears. Fortunately most other people that have used the document have found that it does indeed show just how easy JP1 really is.

It seems that you are quite keen to look for other approaches to finding the codes that you need, and I can guarantee you that any other approach that you may find, including digging through a Pronto CCF file for a different model of player, will prove to be more difficult, but hey, if you like a challenge.

Once again I will recommend that you follow the approach outlined in the document that I linked to before because it really is the easiest way to get this device programmed.
In this case, you've already esstablished that you device uses the NEC1 protocol with a device code of 0, so to get your new upgrade started, you should fire up either KM or RM, select the NEC1 protocol and enter 0 as the device code. You should select the URC-8910 as that's the remote you are creating the upgrade for. You should also select a device mode for the new upgrade, which would be DVD in this case and you should enter a new setup code for it, which can be any number you like, so let's call it 2000. If you're using KM, I would recommend that you select OBC mode for the button codes.

Then, learn as many buttons as you can from your DVD remote and download the memory. You already know how to read learned signals, so all you need to do is read off the OBC for each learned button and enter the data in the "Functions" tab. For standard buttons like "play", "menu", etc you can use the default entries that are already there (in the "Functions" tab) and for less common buttons, like "angle", "subtitles", etc you can create new entries.

Depending on how many buttons are on your OEM remote, it may take a couple of passes to get all of the buttons learned.

Once you've got all of the buttons entered into the Functions tab, switch over to the Buttons tab and assign them to whichever buttons on the URC-8910 you like.

That's all there is to it, as far as creating the upgrade is concerned, so next you should save the file. The actual upgrade that you need to copy over to IR.exe can be found in the Setup tab (in KM) or the Output tab (in RM).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gilliland wrote:
BTW, I found a "Pronto" (whatever that is) code set for a recent RCA DVD player. It may or may not be similar to mine, but the model number seems to have some commonality. Mine is a DRC200N, this one is called a DRC220.

I downloaded the Pronto CCF file for the DRC220 also and that model uses the standard RCA DVD codeset (ie, DVD/0522 or RCA device 5). There are some NEC1 device 0 functions in that CCF file, but they come from a Viewsonic NextVision N6, which I believe is a projector.
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take my remarks quite so seriously. <g> It's true that I wouldn't call the process as described "easy", but it's certainly doable. I probably won't get around to it for a few days, but at some point I'll follow the instructions and get the codes set up correctly. BTW, your words "easier than it first appears" have a slightly different meaning that just "easy". <g>

And thanks very much for looking into that Pronto file. I really didn't know what to make of it. I got the sense that perhaps the codes there weren't really useful to me (just as you said), but I don't have enough background to be very confident in that assessment. I appreciate your going to so much extra trouble over my little issue.

I know it all looks easy to you, so it may be difficult to see it as if you were coming into it for the first time. Still, I have no doubt that I'll be able to follow the instructions.

Right now, it's enough that I've got the remote working and that I know where to find the steps documented for finishing this project. Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say that you've got the remote working, do you mean that you've learned the signals from the DVD remote? If so, just load a copy of your IR file into the file section and one of us will throw together an upgrade file for you.
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When you say that you've got the remote working, do you mean that you've learned the signals from the DVD remote?

No, I haven't gotten that far yet. I've learned just the one key so far, just enough to show that it works. Unfortunately, I have to head out of town on business for the next few days. So I may not be able to get back to this until the weekend. Thanks very much for the offer!

Later edit: I did learn a couple of dozen of the most important codes from this player and put them into a device upgrade file. I used IR to load them into the remote, and it seems to work correctly. So I guess I've got the hang of it. Once I get the complete set into a file, I'll upload it to the files section for the next guy who comes long.
garpinc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: did you ever finish this? Reply with quote

did you ever finish this?
Jim Gilliland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: did you ever finish this? Reply with quote

garpinc wrote:
did you ever finish this?

No, I haven't. I haven't done anything more than what was stated above. I really meant to get back to it sooner, but the real world has a way of intervening sometimes. Once I was sure that the remote worked correctly, I stopped worrying about it. I do expect to get back to it, but it may be a while. Right now I've got other projects that are taking priority.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ji sent me his partially complete KM file for this player...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3522
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: