JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about built in setup codes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I just bought a URC 9910 and I have a basic question.

I have read through the general documentation on this site to get myself acquainted with JP1 and I cannot recall seeing an answer to my question.

Before I begin tweaking the remote, I would like to see how the buttons are assigned for the manufacturer codes. For example, I have a Toshiba DVD Player and the remote is already set up for this device. But I cannot find a way to see detailed information about how the buttons are assigned. I thought maybe the ir.exe program would display this information but no luck, though perhaps I'm missing something obvious here. Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

I think maybe this is not the right thread for my post, but I was not sure how to search for an answer. Sometimes having too much information is a liability.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minguy wrote:
I would like to see how the buttons are assigned for the manufacturer codes. ... I cannot find a way to see detailed information about how the buttons are assigned. I thought maybe the ir.exe program would display this information but no luck, though perhaps I'm missing something obvious here.
You're not missing anything. There is no easy method to see what functions are assigned to what buttons in a built-in setup code. Usually, they are assigned to the appropriately-named buttons, and if there is no appropriately-named button, then the function is usually not assigned.

There are (to my knowledge) 3 basic ways that you can "see" what function is assigned where, one is sorta simplistic, and of the other two, neither is particularly easy and all are relatively tedious.

Method 1: Test every button for a particular setup code with your remote and see how your component responds. (duh!)

Method 2 requires TWO UEIC remotes, one of which is a learning JP1 remote: LEARN every button for a given setup code from one JP1 remote to the other and read the decodes out in IR.

Method 3 can be done with a single JP1 remote: KEYMOVE EVERY BUTTON from the device setup code you're interested in to another key (the simplest would be to exactly the same button in a DIFFERENT device mode) and then examine the keymoves in IR to get the EFC/HEX code assigned to each button.

But I suspect it's simplest to try method 1. If you get all or most of the functions you need from the built-in setup code, then just supplement it with a few kymoves. If you find that a truly significant number of your desired functions are not included, then build an upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
minguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the informative reply.

Upon reading the "Partial upgrading?" thread that was just bumped, I see that I could have found some of the answers there. So my apologies for the redundant post (which to my surprise has been turned into a thread - not complaining, as it makes sense, but I was quite confused before figuring out what happened).

After reading the helpful beginners docs, I have a basic understanding of JP1 now. And I can finally put away the remote for my divx dvd player (very rare brand). But I am having a hell of a time with the extender. I've read and re-read the sticky threads and the readme files and the only thing I grasp at this point is the concept. It's making me recall bad memories of barely-passed college courses... Sad

Expect to hear from me in the extender forum eventually. Mr. Green
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minguy wrote:
I can finally put away the remote for my divx dvd player (very rare brand).

If you needed to create a new upgrade for this player, please remember to load it up to the file section (if you haven't done so already).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: