JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding 'learned' command to extended remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Adding 'learned' command to extended remote Reply with quote

I've been using my 8060 and 8040's with extenders for some time without too many problems. One of the annoyances with my system, which is nothing to do with the remote or the extender, is that the media centre PC has no discrete on/of commands.

However, since I got an IR keyboard I have been able to emulate discrete on and off commands using the following :

1) Set the action of the 'Sleep' button to 'Do Nothing'
2) Create a shortcut to a program that I wrote that causes the PC to enter sleep mode on the desktop with a shortcut key assigned (in my case Z, so Ctrl+Alt+Z causes the PC to go to sleep).

With this setup I can use the IR keyboard to wake up the PC using the power button as this is acted on by the BIOS and the Ctrl+Alt+Z key combo to put the PC to sleep.

Now I'd like to be able to use my various remotes (8060 and 8040's) so I can use them in various rooms around the house.

With the unextended remote I can learn the Ctrl+Alt+Z command (it's very difficult to actually get the full thing, as Alt and Ctrl are commands in there own right) and assign it to a single button on the remote, but the learned command is not decoded in Decode IR (2.29), this is what I get :

Sent Repeatedly While Key Is Being Held :
Code:
+2802 -270 +304 -308 +610 -616 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +610 -616 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +638 -280 +304 -308 +332 -588 +610 -616 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +304 -308 +610 -616 +610 -76872

Any ideas as to how I could convert this into a command that the extender can use?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough information in just the timing data, we would also need to know the IR frequency. Also, most experts would rather see the IR file itself rather than a quoted sample.
RichardP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the IR file is here
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure it out from one sample. I'm not sure I could figure it out from a lot of samples. IR keyboards are tricky. You're never learning enough to see the whole pattern. Usually you need to try a bunch of different ways to capture a fragment of a learn in order to deduce what the whole thing looks like, then experiment in order to find a practical subset of the signal structure that a JP1 upgrade can generate and the device will accept.

What does that single learned signal do? (used from an unextended remote) Your message is almost self contradicory on the question of whether that is the whole Ctrl+Alt+Z or just the repeat part after Ctrl and Alt signals are sent seperately.

Do any of the Keyboard commands decode in DecodeIr?

Why do you need an Ir Keyboard? Isn't there some file on the PC that gives the meaning of each command in the MCE protocol? I thought there were some other threads about people adding new commands into THAT file and associating them previously unused OBC numbers of the basic MCE upgrade. Can't that method be used to run whatever external program you're now triggering with the IR keyboard?
RichardP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I can't figure it out from one sample. I'm not sure I could figure it out from a lot of samples. IR keyboards are tricky. You're never learning enough to see the whole pattern.

Oh dear! All I can say is that, if I load that IR file to the 8060, then pressing the 1 key does what I want! So I guess all the information that is required by the MCE IR receiver is included in the transmitted command.

It was definitely tricky! It took about 20 attempts to get a single 'learn' for the Ctrl+Atl+Z combination.

johnsfine wrote:
Usually you need to try a bunch of different ways to capture a fragment of a learn in order to deduce what the whole thing looks like, then experiment in order to find a practical subset of the signal structure that a JP1 upgrade can generate and the device will accept.

So would it help to learn some easier key strokes, just the letters, just the Ctrl, just the Alt for example and add them to the IR file?

johnsfine wrote:
What does that single learned signal do? (used from an unextended remote) Your message is almost self contradicory on the question of whether that is the whole Ctrl+Alt+Z or just the repeat part after Ctrl and Alt signals are sent seperately.

Sorry if the original post was not clear. That single learned command causes the MCE to behave exactly as though Ctrl+Alt+Z keys were pressed on the IR keyboard, nothing else is required to complete the action. But it's difficult to learn because when you press just one of the keys (Ctrl for example) the remote learns just that key.

johnsfine wrote:
Do any of the Keyboard commands decode in DecodeIr?

Yes some, in fact quite a few, do. Z on its own gives NEC2, Device 255, Sub Device 255, OBC 223. Ctrl on it's own gives Async9:301-323:00:59..55.FE Device 90, Sub Device 85 OBC 85. I've modified the file to include the three keys (Ctrl Alt and Z) pressed individually.

johnsfine wrote:
Why do you need an Ir Keyboard? Isn't there some file on the PC that gives the meaning of each command in the MCE protocol? I thought there were some other threads about people adding new commands into THAT file and associating them previously unused OBC numbers of the basic MCE upgrade. Can't that method be used to run whatever external program you're now triggering with the IR keyboard?

I've tried every other mechanism I can think of! There are some extra commands that you can use, but I've not found one that does either a discrete power off or can execute a user defined program. I thought I might finally have cracked the problem with the Ctrl+Alt+Z solution, but if its not viable then I'll just have to use the button on the front of the PC to turn it off! I just thought I was so nearly there, without the extender (which is much more valuable than this command) I could do it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Richard,
Give this upgrade a try. Your function is programmed to the POWER button.

Upgrade Code 0 = 0F D0 (Cable/2000) MCE Keyboard Temp (KM v8.35)
FF 00 11 20 20 00 E8 20
End

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FF (S3C8+) PB v3.11
47 93 41 8B 13 87 C5 10 08 04 00 98 00 84 00 98
00 84 96 23 05 78 00 00 8D 01 46
End
RichardP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, that works perfectly! You're a genius!
RichardP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've got this working, where is the best place to post a description of how to do it so that others may benefit? I'm sure there must be other people who could use discrete on/off capability for Media Centre. I'll need to upload the program that I wrote that is called by the shortcut to shutdown/hibernate/sleep the PC, I assume that this is OK, but where is the best place to put it?

Thank you immensely for your help, lack of this capability has been bugging me ever since I started with JP1 remotes nearly 2 years ago.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the best thin to do is to zip together all the files related to this device and then load it into the Misc folder under the device's name.

As for creating the upgrade for you, all I did was plug the timing values into the Protocol Builder spreadsheet, it didn't even need any custom code.

The one thing that might throw off a beginner with this signal is that it's bi-phase, in other words the "0" time is sent reversed. So the pairs are really...

1 = +304 -304
0 = -304 +304

The reason this might be tricky for a beginner to spot is because when two OFF times, or two ON times, come back to back, you'll end up with one bigger OFF time. For example, the timings for 101 would be..

+304 -304 -304 +304 +304 -304

but this should show up as...

+304 -608 +608 -304

I wrote a beginner's guide to PB here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/help/Protocol-Builder.zip
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I wrote a beginner's guide to PB here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/help/Protocol-Builder.zip

Where is this file? It doesn't exist, except that download worked Rolling Eyes
I think it would be really cool to add this guide to the Protocol Builder zip file.

I'm confused about few PB locations. There is PB3.11 in Tools/Main, and PB3.12 in Tools/Programs Surprised

My comments probably belong in Web site issues, if so please move or kill.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL!
MajorWoody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for MCE DiscreteON and DiscreteOFF. I would like to try it on my ReplayTV 5000 2k remote. Would it be possible to post links for KM files so I can change device code?

Quote:

Upgrade Code 0 = 0F D0 (Cable/2000) MCE Keyboard Temp (KM v8.35)
FF 00 11 20 20 00 E8 20
End

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FF (S3C8+) PB v3.11
47 93 41 8B 13 87 C5 10 08 04 00 98 00 84 00 98
00 84 96 23 05 78 00 00 8D 01 46
End
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: