JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Motorola DCT6412 skip function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rclones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Motorola DCT6412 skip function Reply with quote

While I have been using JP1 for my 15-1994 and Millenium 4 remotes for some time, this is my first message posting on this forum.
I am thinking about getting a Motorola DCT6412 . I see there is are codes posted for the 6208/6412 which include a skip ahead function not provided with the remotes supplied by my cable company.

(1) Can someone who owns a DCT6412 (or 6208?) and has used the skip function tell me how the skip works (ie does it skip ahead 30 seconds a minute etc)
(2) Is the skip function that is included in the device upgrade codes in the files section the same as the advanced code " skip 173" (ie for cable 0476)

rclones
rclones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Motorola DCT6412 skip function Reply with quote

I have browsed some other forums and come up with answers to my own questions.
(1) The Motorola DCT6412 has a 30 sec skip built into the hardware (although some people report they have not been able to get it to work)
(2) 173 is the correct code for skip.
dmadison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the Seattle area Comcast told MSFT to disable the "Skip" function. I coded the following MACRO using JP1 and put it on my 8811. It simulates a 30-Second Skip. Its not always accurate, but it gets the job done.

My 6412 is on my CBL device button and I use the extender on my 8811.

X_CBL;FWD;FWD;FWD;X_TV;XSHIFT-Phantom1;X-CBL;Play;X_CANCEL

My XSHIFT-Phantom1 key is a 1.2 sec pause. So essentially the macro is pressing FWD,FWD,FWD, pause 1.2 secs, PLAY.

Darryl
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmadison wrote:
Comcast told MSFT
Did you mean to say Motorola, since I don't see how Microsoft fits into the equation? Confused
mll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Microsoft is testing their DVR software Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
dmadison wrote:
Comcast told MSFT
Did you mean to say Motorola, since I don't see how Microsoft fits into the equation? Confused

Microsoft is texting their Microsoft software in Washingon. I have a page, http://www.wematter.com/comcast-dvr . that points to the AVF forums on Comcast stuff, including discussion of the Microsoft software.

I have no idea as to who Comcast will be moving toward for their DVR software.
rclones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Motorola DCT6412 skip function Reply with quote

I'm on Shaw Cable on Vancouver Island (Canada). II found a post (forget where) from another person on Shaw who was able to get the 30 sec skip working on a DCT6208 using the 173 code. Shaw has only had the DCT6412 units for a week now. I just hope the have not disabled the skip. I don't think Shaw is quite as "evil" as Microsoft.
grcobb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've setup a UFA8811 remote for the DCT6412 to include the 30-sec skip, 15-sec rewind, along with extenders for short and long keypresses to control the guide functions (short-up=up one item, long-up=page-up, etc), menu functions, etc.

The files for all of the setup stuff is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1246

You may want to download them and take a look. (It also includes setup files for the Cambridge-/Soundworks AVS550 which you can ignore).

Good luck.

Gary
bob_m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 6412 from my Comcast provider (with Iguide software in the box).

What "purchased" remotes are you using with the 6412?

My "cable" remote is JP1 (OFA) but has very few buttons beyond those needed by the DVR.

I picked up an 8810W (unopened) and still need to order/make a JP1 cable, and I just want to know which remote people are using with the 6412s.
================
To program the "cable's" remote to use the swap (tuner) or skip function follow this procedure to "teach" you remote. Then I assume you can "learn" what the swap/skip codes are within IR.exe Smile
================
Here is the exact procedure to program a swap or 30 second skip to the remote.

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip) or 00236 (for Swap).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip or swap function to.
mll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: OneForAll URC-8811... Reply with quote

bob_m wrote:
I have the 6412 from my Comcast provider (with Iguide software in the box).

What "purchased" remotes are you using with the 6412?

1) I am using the OneForAll URC-8811 ~$20.00, AND LIKE IT, though from what I hear the other Higher Level OneForAll are roughly equivalent.

The JP1 cable can be purchased off the web, though so far I have been programming it manually, but advised that I am foolish for not taking the JP1 cable step.

2) I have read the Harmony series is also good, it is programmed via the WEB and a USB connection., and I don't think it is JP1 compatable.

3) I picked up the ComCast silver remote but as I was trying to make it GENEALLY USABLE I found it seemed to have too many PASS-THRU keys and have not found any referance to how to get it fully working and found that its JP1.1 is not standard and supported/understood by this forum.

So: Lets see what other people say, and good luck.
bob_m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my luck a cable remote that is NOT standard. Typical cable company. But then again, if you return the remote they need it to work like it was new...
BTW I have the silver one with the TV/VCR and HD Zoom buttons on the bottom. (I use TV/VCR for swap and plan on making zoom the skip).

Just by looking at the 8810w or 8811 they SEEM to have all the major DVR/cable buttons and most common buttons for surround sound and other theatre equip.

I may START with that one and upgrade if I want/need to Smile

Sounds like fun! Need to order cable tonite...
mll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_m wrote:
Just my luck a cable remote that is NOT standard. Typical cable company....

Just by looking at the 8810w or 8811 they SEEM to have all the major DVR/cable buttons and most common buttons for surround sound and other theatre equip.

I may START with that one and upgrade if I want/need to Smile

Sounds like fun! Need to order cable tonite...

I obviously do like universal remotes, and have a 8811/10, but I have found that:

. 1) The standard 476, Comcast setup from OneForAll, e.g. has only limited functionality.

. 2) On the other hand I was able to use the sheet here: Jp1 codes for Comcast and within 1/2 an hour get all the codes, including 30 second skip and a 2 min skip macro= 30skip,30skip,30skip,30skip entered.

. 3) So the Cable is a good addition, but if you are willing to spend the "Finger time" then the control can be (almost) fully functional tonight.

The only functionality that I can't see how to manually program is the "Extender Functionality" (Thanks to greeno) that allows one to have keys have different functionalities attached to them depending on whether they were shifted or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: