JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Learning" new code from scratch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: "Learning" new code from scratch Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating a new code from scratch for my Advent HT-2751 tv. I have a RS 15-2117 and I'm "learning" the buttons from the original remote one by one.

My problem is this. After successfully learning the buttons, I went to learned signals in IR 6.0 to get the code to input into KM. However, on every button, I get three options in both the hex cmd and efc rows (such as: hex cmd 48 or 49 or 4a, efc 080 or 072 or 096.

I created an upgrade from scratch once before but didn't have this trouble. What do I do (or what did I do wrong)? It will take forever to try all three options for each button in KM.

I'd really appreciate any help you could give. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Rachel
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't tell us any of the protocol details from those learned signals. In any event, it might be best to upload the saved IR file to the Diagnosis area and then post a link to it here. Be sure to read the Posting Links thread so you can properly format a link to Yahoo files.
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry. Can you please tell me what protocol details you need and what to do to get the info to the diagnosis area (and where that is). Thanks a bunch for your help. Sorry to be so uninformed.

Thanks.
Rachel
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it uses the RC5 protocol. That Protocol can use three different devices. So the decoder gives you all the possible answers, since it doesn't know what setup code might be in use. The first EFC will call device 1 (cell C9 in the setup tab of KM) the second device 2 (cell C10) and the third device 3 (cell C11).

If you only need one device set them all to the same thing (usually device=0 for a TV). BTW, did you try TV/0054?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the uprade Advent_Q2035A_TV.txt uses the RC5 protocol and may be a place to start.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T USE TV/0054, especially if it seems to work.

At least some Advent TV's that partially match TV/0054 are programmed to permanently destroy their firware when they receive the standard Philips PIP On/Off command included in TV/0054. I think there might also be other destructive commands you might hit.

After seeing a few other threads on this subject, I wouldn't dream of buying an Advent TV. If I was stuck with one I'd be very careful about what IR signals I test it with. I wouldn't send any signal I haven't first verified matches what comes from the TV's original remote.

Last edited by johnsfine on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does use the RC5 protocol. I remember seeing that. Also, the device number is 0 with no subdevice.

Yes I tried the 0054 Magnavox code but it only controls power, vol +- and mute. I wasn't sure what to do to upgrade an existing code so I thought since it only controls 4 buttons, it would be easier to start from scratch.

So, what do I do from here?
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, can you please explain what you mean that it permanently destroys the firmware? How, what do you do about it? I've been using 0054 partially for controlling the tv for about 5 weeks. Yikes, is my tv ok?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KM you can create an RC5 upgrade using device 0. It's simpler to work with the OBC numbers from the decodes and not worry about EFC numbers. Set KM for entry of OBC rather than EFC on the functions sheet and enter the function name and OBC for each decoded command.

Make sure you only use OBC numbers that match ones decoded from the original remote.

If all the OBC numbers are in the range 0 to 63, it is that simple. If some are in the range 64 to 127, there is an extra step: See the protocol help for RC5 and/or ask again.

Last edited by johnsfine on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
Whoa, can you please explain what you mean that it permanently destroys the firmware? How, what do you do about it? I've been using 0054 partially for controlling the tv for about 5 weeks. Yikes, is my tv ok?

If it had destroyed the firmware you'd know it. Your TV would be a piece of junk at that point. Maybe you never pressed the PIP button (does the 15-2117 have a PIP button?). Maybe you have a model of Advent TV that doesn't have that insane feature.
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does have a pip button. I'll be sure we don't use it and try to get to remote programmed correctly in the mean time. Thanks for all the help.
varaonaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far. I'm building the RC5 code as instructed with the device code of 0 using OBC.

So far things are going just fine. However, I have one question. I chose the device TV and picked the correct remote type (15-2117/15-2116) and for some reason on the button tab, the "fav/scan" button is grayed out on the left side showing that it can't be used. Any ideas why that button can't be assigned?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
Any ideas why that button can't be assigned?
One of UEI's silly restrictions...

The Fav/Scan button on many remotes is not directly accessible. There is a special protocol that enables Fav/Scan support, or you can use an extender.
varaonaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please tell me what the difference would be in the two methods (special protocol vs extender). Is one method better than the other? Easier to use/program? Uses less memory? Is either difficult to setup on my remote? I'm not familiar with either one and I would be interested in learning so that I can implement it.

Can I program the "my system" button through JP1? Is it something I can customize?

One further question. I thought I read somewhere that one of the buttons on the 15-2117 is, for lack of a better word, a "shift" button that allows you to double the programming on each button and access the second level using the shift key. Is this correct? If so, which button is it and how do I go about programming the second (shift) level of keys.

Thanks again!
Rachel
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
Can you please tell me what the difference would be in the two methods (special protocol vs extender).

The extenders are available from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Extenders/15-2116/
There is a tutorial there, plus documentation in each extender's .zip file.

Once you install an extender, the Fav key can be used like an ordinary key with keymoves or a macro.

varaonaid wrote:

Can I program the "my system" button through JP1? Is it something I can customize?

Only with the extender. The extender makes that an ordinary key on which you can put KeyMoves or a macro. Without the extender that key has a predefined meaning that you can't change.

varaonaid wrote:

"shift" button that allows you to double the programming on each button

It is the P key. It act like a calculator shift key, not like a keyboard shift key, meaning that you do not hold P pressed to shift another key. You do a short press and release of P then press another key and that second key will be shifted. (Without the extender shifting a digit takes two short presses of P).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: