JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need to display menu on sharp 25J-S100... how?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin_sharpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: need to display menu on sharp 25J-S100... how? Reply with quote

Hi guys & gals...

I'm a newbie here, and really impressed by the knowledge! So, I hope someone can help me out ...

I have a Sharp 25J-S100 TV ( several years old). I also have a dog that thinks remotes are better than milk bones Sad

So, I picked up this RS 15-2130 "Guide Remote"... (I've had many replacement remotes over the years) ... works OK, but tried all of the codes listed in the manual, and none allow it to display the TV's menu.

So, anyone have access to codes for that remote? Or, what are my other options? I'd rather not buy a "real" replacement remote.... the JP1 stuff looks prety interesting.... what remote should I buy? (RS doesn't have any of the older ones that everyone seems to like)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Happy New Year!

Robin
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need to display menu on sharp 25J-S100... how? Reply with quote

robin_sharpe wrote:
the JP1 stuff looks prety interesting.... what remote should I buy? (RS doesn't have any of the older ones that everyone seems to like)

See FAQ: What is the best JP1 remote?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of the 15-2130 before, so I took a look at it on the RS web site and I think it's safe to say that it's not a UEI remote, so we won't be able to offer much help for using it here.
robin_sharpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies... and I guess that's what i was expecting.

I've had this menu display problem with all of the several remotes I've tried... some don't display it at all, some display it but the navigation doesn't work, some will navigate but can't set options, etc... and none of them seem to work for all of my components (TV, VCR, DVD).

So, if I go the JP1 route, is it possible to make one remote function correctly with all of the device menus? The TV is the biggest problem, because there are no controls on the TV itself other than volume and channel... no remote, no menu. (I won't make that mistake again!)

Robin
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robin_sharpe wrote:

So, if I go the JP1 route, is it possible to make one remote function correctly with all of the device menus?

The answer is almost always yes. If you had an obscure enough device without the original remote, we might get stumped. But that's quite unlikely.

It doesn't sound like your TV is very obscure. One you try a JP1 remote, I expect you'll quickly find one of the standard setup codes works the basic functions. It probably will work the menu functions as well, in which case you're done. If it doesn't work the menu functions, knowing which setup code it is will normally lead us to an advanced code list or CCF file or other resource with all the rest of the command info.

robin_sharpe wrote:
there are no controls on the TV itself other than volume and channel... no remote, no menu. (I won't make that mistake again!)

You may not have a choice. The trend is toward even fewer non remote buttons.

Since I'm a JP1 user, the first thing I do with any IR remote is record all its signals and store them in a file on my PC. That way loosing or breaking the original remote is no big deal.
robin_sharpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great news! Went out to Walmart and picked up the 8810w... $17.83, not too bad. A few minutes of setup (only one code for Sharp TVs), and bingo! Fully functional menu on both TV and VCR! Also works with my Toshiba DVD. Now I gotta start digging into the Home Theater and macro stuff.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, what you have is a very good JP1 learning remote, so if you end up with a device in the future that the 8810w doesn't control, you can get yourself a JP1 cable and add an upgrade for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: