JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 7562 B00: no more learning with 975
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: URC 7562 B00: no more learning with 975 Reply with quote

Hi,
after quite a long time working without any problems my One For All 6 ( URC-7562 ) began to run in trouble.

First the key-presses were send with a little delay (0.5s)...

After replacing the batteries that problem was gone, but now its impossible to learn new codes via the 975 code... After pressing MAGIC, the led flashes twice, but after 975 the led flashes just ones, not twice as descibed in the manual.

That worked for me before, is the rc broken?

A reset with 980,981 didn't help either.

After searching in thid forum a additional hint: After reinserting the batteries I get just one long blink of the LED!

Thanks,
sdude
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: URC 7562 B00: no more learning with 975 Reply with quote

sdude wrote:

If a 981 reset really didn't help then the internal connection between the eeprom and the remote's cpu is broken. That will show as a different blink pattern after the 981 than you would get if that connection were OK.

I don't recall the good or the bad pattern on a 7562. On the model I do remember, good is two short blinks, then a pause, then two more short blinks. Bad it two short blinks then one long one.

sdude wrote:

After searching in thid forum a additional hint: After reinserting the batteries I get just one long blink of the LED!

That means the eeprom contents are corrupted and a 981 reset is needed to fix them. But if you had already tried the 981 reset, it must be broken.
sdude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: URC 7562 B00: no more learning with 975 Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
sdude wrote:

If a 981 reset really didn't help then the internal connection between the eeprom and the remote's cpu is broken. That will show as a different blink pattern after the 981 than you would get if that connection were OK.

I don't recall the good or the bad pattern on a 7562. On the model I do remember, good is two short blinks, then a pause, then two more short blinks. Bad it two short blinks then one long one.

So I'm afraid it is broken, after the 981 there are two short blinks and then one long one...

Did anybody here had made the same experiences with his/her URC??

I can handle a soldering iron, so maybe someone can give me a few hints. For example, how to open the 7562 without breaking it into two pieces.
The picture mentioned in this board do not fit, since the 7562 has just one screw in the batterie area.

Maybe this failure is caused by my little daughter (3), she tried to clean the rc last time after touching it with sticky fingers with a wet cloth.... Sad

Thank you
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: URC 7562 B00: no more learning with 975 Reply with quote

sdude wrote:
Maybe this failure is caused by my little daughter (3), she tried to clean the rc last time after touching it with sticky fingers with a wet cloth....

It's quite likely that water (or whatever) got down on the PCB and is possibly creating a short somewhere (my kids used to love to pour orange juice on our remotes).

At this point, you really don't have anything to lose so carefully take it apart and gently wipe the PCB with a soft cloth, especially near any exposed traces, etc. Be sure to clean the button pad as well. A little isopropyl alcohol will help remove any residue.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good instructions for taking it apart here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/index.shtml

Once you understand how those "snap latches" work, you can get it apart without breaking it.

The eeprom is a tiny IC with 8 connections, 4 on one side and 4 opposite (I think on one side all four are connected together).

The problem is likely to be on one of the traces connected to that IC, so examine them as far as you can visually trace them from that IC.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use a very small screwdriver to pop open the first clip, then I slide a plastic putty knife into the opening and slide it around the edge of the remote popping open the rest of the clips. I pick up the putty knives at the local hardware store for $1 each. If you don't want to bother getting a knife, use an old credit card instead.

Once you've cleaned and/or dried the PCB, I would recommend putting it back into the lower half of the casing, then put the batteries back in and lay the button sheet onto the PCB. Finally, do a 981 reset. If you get 4 blinks, you can close up the remote as it's working again. If you still get 2-short, 1-long, you'll need to take another look at the PCB.
sdude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

after checking the pcb I found nothing that could cause an short or similar.

And, if the eprom would be complete defect, how is it possible that it stores the codes for tv,vcr?

Maybe a part of the eprom is defect, so that no extra key could be learned?

Mhhh,

sdude
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdude wrote:

And, if the eprom would be complete defect, how is it possible that it stores the codes for tv,vcr?

The remotes contain RAM as well as eeprom. Most models have fall back logic to use the RAM instead of some of the areas of the eeprom when the eeprom is rejected by the test routine.

sdude wrote:

Maybe a part of the eprom is defect, so that no extra key could be learned?

Maybe only part of the eeprom is defective, BUT once the test routine rejects it, the remote won't use it at all until another 981 reset gets a good test result.
sdude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but if it is using RAM for the codes the rc would loss it when removing the batteries, right?

But that doesn't happen. I removed the batteries, pressed some keys till no more LEDs were flashing.. Waiting a while, put the batteries back in again, and the codes a still the ones I teached in.
OK, maybe there is an extra buffer for the RAM, in that case the only thing could be replacing the eprom chip.
I don't want to throw it away right now, it's about 45,-€ here...

Well, maybe I can find a source for the ic in germany...

Thanks,

sdude
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a capacitor in the remote that keeps the ROM alive for about 30 minutes after the batteries are removed, but pressing buttons should have discharged it.

Bottom line is this, we don't know exactly what's wrong with your remote, but something's obviously not right. I would suggest that you check for connectivity between the EEPROM and all the places it should go. Pins 1 thru 4 and pin 7 should be grounded, and pin 8 should go to the positive pin of the big capacitor. Pin 5 should be connected to a small capacitor that is in turn connected to pin 8. Pin 5 also goes under the glob to the MCU. Pin 6 should only go under the glob, so there's not much validation you can do there.

(This is all from "off the top of my head" memory, so forgive me if I've mistated any of the EEPROM connections)
sdude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to find out about the connections/traces from eeprom to the places you mentioned.

Unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope here to see if there is something that looks like i2c communication.... maybe I can get one the next days.

I found the eeprom at a german distributor, just 2,50€. If nothing is wrong with the traces, I will give it a try.

Thanks,

sdude
sdude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I checked all traces from the eeprom, looks all good.

Then I replaced the eeprom with a new one, but the rc reacts as before.

Well, I guess that there is no further possibility to find that bug, right?

Anyway, thanks for your help,

sdude

EDIT

WOW! Before throwing the rc in the garbage, i tried a *994 ( found with google ) ...... AND :
*981 gives me 4 blinks!!!!! Thats nuts?!?
Kill me, but I don't know the exact keys I pressed after the 994..

Now I can learn keys etc with 975, everything is OK.
Maybe this could have been the solution before placing a new eeprom on it Rolling Eyes

OK, thats it, maybe this helps someone else in the future, thanks again,

sdude
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't offer you any good reason why doing a keymove (ie, 994) would re-enable the 981 reset, but hey, if it works, who cares, right?
sdude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, and I'm glad that I saved ~50€.

Another thing is that after learning a lot of keys from original rcs with 975
I now have again the problem that it takes up to 0,5-1 sec after pressing a key the code is send.... is that a known problem?

sdude

EDIT

And, here we go, after one day i'm back at the start.... the rc reacts again like described in my first post. The 994 did not help. After going nuts I tried again an 981 with fresh batteries and .... 4 flashes ???!!!!
OK, maybe this is causing all my trouble?
Quote:

NOTE: The remote can become confused and either fail completely
or use batteries rapidly when a large number of keys are
programmed. Unfortunately the safe upper limit depends on
what devices you have and what functions you are programming.

Well, I will try to use it with less learned keys...
Tatanka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sdude,

Is your RC working?. I have a similar problem with my URC 8811. I get the four flashes after the 981 reset. However, the RC does not learn any keys with the 975 code. I tried removing batteries, changing them and even shorting out battery terminals, but still no sucess. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: