JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scientific Atlanta SA8000 - 30 sec skip question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Scientific Atlanta SA8000 - 30 sec skip question Reply with quote

I am a Newbie. I stumbled into all this JP! stuff on a yahoo search. Robman, thanks for all the info, but

I bought the cable, downloaded all the files and your jp1 - just how easy is it. When I uploaded my original remote info into IR, there was some key move stuff and macro stuff. I downloaded your sa8000 upgrade file and with km pasted it into the IR. There was no macro or key move stuff after doing this so I aborted the process.

All I really want to do is add a 30-second skip, is there a way to do it by just changing something in my orignal data in IR? Thanks

PS this is my wife's name I just created an account for. I created an account under my name a week ago and when I went to log in, it said I was inactive and the contact the administrator (which I am guessing is you) but I saw no link to do it. Any reason why I might have been deactivated or how to get back in under my name?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not have been deactivated, my guess is that you never responded to the activation email (probably because it ended up in your junk folder). Send me an email telling me your ID and I'll re-activate you.

rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
carmen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob, I will email you, thanks

Any help with my original question though for now?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know anything about the SA8000
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie with sa8000 30second skip question for robman Reply with quote

carmen wrote:
When I uploaded my original remote info into IR, there was some key move stuff and macro stuff.

To clarify, you downloaded the remote to IR when you saw the key move and macro stuff, correct?

You should download the remote to IR and immediately save the configuration to use as a starting point for your JP1 adventures.

Quote:
I downloaded your sa8000 upgrade file and with km pasted it into the IR. There was no macro or key move stuff after doing this so I aborted the process.

When you opened the upgrade in KM, did you change the remote to match your model?

When you copied the upgrade code and went to IR, did you paste it into your existing configuration or a new blank one? The act of pasting an upgrade into IR should not delete any key moves or macros, so I suspect you may have encountered some user error.
hovendic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: mark - 30-second skip Reply with quote

I appreciate your response back. Being a Newbie, please bear with me.

I have an "Atlas DVR 5" remote. I downloaded my remote data into IR and tried to add an EFC code 049 (which many have said is the way to add the 30-second skip to my remote) and then upload it back into my remote. It did not work. Somebody since told me that Scientfic Atlanta did an update to their 8000 DVR box and voided the 049 capability. I do not know if this is true or I just did my upgrade wrong but either way it still does not 30-second skip.

Can you help me with a macro? I posted the question on the yahoo explorer 8000 forum and got this response from a gentleman there:

I don't have an Atlas DVR 5 to play with, so I can't help you too
much. Ideally you would want to port over an "extender" from
another remote, but that would be going from newbie to JP1 god a
little too quickly I think. All my macros do is ffwd-ffwd-ffwd-
(pause)-play. The extender has the advantage that the 3 ffwds are
sent quickly and that it contains a "pause" protocol.

Without an extender what you want to do is either get a pause
protocol that works with that remote (I would suggest asking over at
www.hifi-remote.com/forum) or find some function that will act as a
pause.

Can you help with a macro?

Thanks
hovendic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: forgot to add Reply with quote

When I downloaded my remote to IR, it found it (calling it the Atlas DVR 5 ) and giving it a cbl setup code of 1187 (I think that is, I am at work, the 1187 is from memory)
carmen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: newbie for mark or rob on 30-second skip Reply with quote

I have an atlas dvr/pvr 5 remote. I am trying to add a 30-second skip to it.

I went to the macros tab in IR and added a macro to my "fav" key

ffw, ffw, ffw, play

I downloaded it to my remote and it works, but there is no real skip. It just goes from ffw x 3 to play right away. Is there a way I can get it to stay on ffw x 3 for a little bit before it goes to play?

thx
carmen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inserted "mute" "mute" between the last ffw and play and it did work (it ffw'd a little bit before going to play, I guess while it went mute on and mute back off again) but surely there is a better way to do this, ?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: mark - 30-second skip Reply with quote

hovendic wrote:
I downloaded my remote data into IR and tried to add an EFC code 049 (which many have said is the way to add the 30-second skip to my remote) and then upload it back into my remote. It did not work. Somebody since told me that Scientfic Atlanta did an update to their 8000 DVR box and voided the 049 capability. I do not know if this is true or I just did my upgrade wrong but either way it still does not 30-second skip.
I've tried the 30-sec skip command on several SA8000s and found that it responds by doing a return-to-live, so I think the rumors may be correct that the skip function is gone.

You can test the command without programming your remote by using the Setup-nnn method. Assuming the remote controls the box in Cable mode, switch the remote to Cable mode, tap Setup, then 0, 4, 9. It will transmit the command when you press the 9.
hovendic wrote:
I don't have an Atlas DVR 5 to play with, so I can't help you too
much. Ideally you would want to port over an "extender" from
another remote, but that would be going from newbie to JP1 god a
little too quickly I think. All my macros do is ffwd-ffwd-ffwd-
(pause)-play. The extender has the advantage that the 3 ffwds are
sent quickly and that it contains a "pause" protocol.

Without an extender what you want to do is either get a pause
protocol that works with that remote (I would suggest asking over at
www.hifi-remote.com/forum) or find some function that will act as a
pause.
The Atlas DVR remote is a decent JP1 remote, being a close cousin to the URC-6131. It's possible the URC-6131 extender could be ported to the Atlas DVR, but since it only has a 1K EEPROM there wouldn't be much room left over after the extender was installed.

Even without an extender, you should be able to use the Pause special protocol to generate a delay between commands. It's built into KM, and there is an example file in the Yahoo Special Protocols folder. If your solution involves keymoves, you should be aware that the Atlas (and URC-6131) use a different keymove format than other remotes that is not supported in the current IR version. A new version is being worked on that will support it, but it has not been released yet.
hovendic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

It is a scientific atlantic 8000 (TW in Houston). The remote they gave us is the atlas dvr/pvr 5. In another thread, Mark confirmed that they (big brother?) disabled the skip ability with a simple efc code. that is why I am trying to do it with a macr0.

PS he also told me that the current version of IR will not support key move stuff for the atlas 5 l(much like the URC 6131) but it is bing worked on.
hovendic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I imported that file you suggested into KM.

I am a Newbie so please pardon the questions (I have read much of the faq's and how-to's and still do not get it 100%)

Your KM upgrade had

remote = URC-881x / 801x / 601x
device type = TV
setup code = 1104

my remote is an atlas dvr/PVR 5-device according to what IR says when I download my remote into IR. In KM, my options from the drop-down menu are Atlas 4-device and atlas dvr. Am I screwed or do I just pick one of those?

Why is the device type = TV (I just do not get it, what is my device type, I would have put PVR)

Is my setup code 1107 (I am at my office instead of home but that is what I think I remember IR saying on the remote download)

Can I just paste the protocol code, device upgrade code and key move code from the KM sheet directly into the same tabs in IR and then upload it to my remote (you said that the current version of IR does not support the keymove of my atlas 5, so is this all for naught?)

Thanks for your patience, I am only using the Newbie forum so I hope the flamming from others will be kept to a minimun?
hovendic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: rob, new alpha version of IR Reply with quote

I see you have a new IR file out there with the RDF for an atlas DVR/PVR 5-devic in the folder. I also checked the latest RDF folder, the atlas dvr/pvr 5-device remote is in there as well.

I have a atlas 5 remote with my Scientific atlantic 8000 (TW in Houston) and am trying to get some kind of 30-second skip to work. I just downloaded a file from the special folder with a pause protocol to insert into a macro to make my own skip (all that info is in one of the "Carmen" user threads at the top of the newbie forum).

Should I hold off everything I am now doing or can I use your new stuff, ?

Thanks (and PS why is the RDF for the atlas in your IR folder where no other RDF files are?)
carmen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Question on new IR beta version Reply with quote

RObman, I downloaded your new IR file (the 6.0 beta version) and tried to use it. I have an atlas dvr/pfr 5- device (which the folder has an RDF file for ) so I wanted to use it. On the check interface, it says "priveleged instruction", on the download from remot, same thing.

Can we use this yet? Thanks
carmen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: km upgade help Reply with quote

I downloaded a puase protocol KM upgrade "puase_protocol_example_for_KM" from the special folder section.

The author says it is to help with a 30-second skip. I loaded the file into KM and imprted the protocol, key move and device updgrade to IR. the author says to insert the "TV phantom 1" or "DVD phantom 3" buttons into the macro where you want the pause (I built a macro that goes "ffw, ffw, ffw, play). I went to insert tv pahntom 1 into my macro (between the last ffw and the play) but there was not botton in the drop down list to do so.

Any help out there with what I did wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: