JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF Capable JP1 remotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hichhiker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: RF Capable JP1 remotes Reply with quote

Is there such an animal? I heard some pronto versions support RF, but are there any JP1 remotes?

Just to be clear, I am talking about using RF control, not RF extension - as in controlling X10, RF controlled ceiling fans, etc.

Just curious.

-HH
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RF Capable JP1 remotes Reply with quote

Hichhiker wrote:
Is there such an animal?
No, sorry. Sad
Hichhiker wrote:
I heard some pronto versions support RF
I'd believe you heard wrong. Confused
Hichhiker wrote:
Just to be clear, I am talking about using RF control, not RF extension - as in controlling X10, RF controlled ceiling fans, etc.
Making a truly "universal" RF remote is difficult because there are numerous engineering and bureaucratic problems with allowing it to transmit on any old frequency. I don't think any manufacturer has deemed it worthwhile to make one for such a limited market.

IR remotes, on the other hand, all transmit on the same "frequency" - infrared, and the FCC could care less if you interfere with other IR remotes.
Hichhiker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, though these guys claim to have pronto codes for controlling some RF devices. http://www.embed-x.com/cgp.htm

It seems to me that you would not need it to send out on any old frequency, just on frequencies allocated for this sort of thing by FCC. I am sure there is a very limited set.

-HH
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the FCC tightly controls the RF spectrum. One thing they really frown upon are low-powered multiple frequency transmitters, which is exactly what we're talking about here.
Hichhiker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
The problem is that the FCC tightly controls the RF spectrum. One thing they really frown upon are low-powered multiple frequency transmitters, which is exactly what we're talking about here.

Ok, let me ask a slightly different question then. Is there a JP1 remote that has an RF connection to a PC? Single protocol/single frequency in this case and I know non JP1 versions of this exist (ATI All-in-wonder, X10, etc.) I relalize I can probably use RF extender with an IR eye on a pc, but I would rather avoid extra to IR/from IR conversion. Do any RF extender remotes support direct connect to PC?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hichhiker wrote:
Do any RF extender remotes support direct connect to PC?

No.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hichhiker wrote:
Is there a JP1 remote that has an RF connection to a PC? Single protocol/single frequency in this case and I know non JP1 versions of this exist (ATI All-in-wonder, X10, etc.) I relalize I can probably use RF extender with an IR eye on a pc, but I would rather avoid extra to IR/from IR conversion. Do any RF extender remotes support direct connect to PC?
I'm sure you could tap into the IR emitter signal from the extender box and connect it directly to the PC through an optocoupler, thereby bypassing the to/from IR conversion. But this would be strictly limited to one RF frequency, and the recovered data would still contain the IR carrier.
Hichhiker wrote:
...these guys claim to have pronto codes for controlling some RF devices. http://www.embed-x.com/cgp.htm
Yes, but this is hardly a "universal" solution, as you have to add a single-frequency RF transmitter to your PC or to your Pronto. If you are willing to go to these extremes, then I'm sure you could also find a way to add the same RF transmitter to a JP1 remote.
crust

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my 2117 RF extender connected to a PC running WinLIRC, though I am sure it would work with girder too. I used the external LED output and a small circuit to drive a micro. Software on the micro performs the demodulation of the carrier and outputs a stream to the PC. Works like a champ, though it doesn't look pretty yet.
maxse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crust this sounds interesting. Can u explain this further for a nnob please. Are u suggesting using a cable to connect to the "exteder" output on the RF reciever for the 2117 and connecting it to the pc or something like that?

I bought like 4 2117s when they were on sale at Radio Shack. And I already bought on USB-UIRT for $50 and I need a couple more computers to control. Now i really dont want to spend $50 every time! Can u help me out with this, or prhaps exaplain what u r doing a bit further. Thankis.
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What crust is apparently doing is feeding one USB-UIRT with the blaster LED from a receiver directly coupled to the UIRT.

To make ome UIRT work more than one PC is beyond the scope of this forum.
Suffice to say it would involve some networking work to receive the Data from one UIRT, broadcast it over your network to the other PCs, and have your PCs respont to commensd overt the network,rather than a UIRT device.
crust

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicsat wrote:
What crust is apparently doing is feeding one USB-UIRT with the blaster LED from a receiver directly coupled to the UIRT.

No, that is not what I am doing. I built a circuit that includes a micro, some analog interface circuit and a few misc parts that takes the electrical output from the extender box via the 2.5mm output on the box. I feed that into some interface circuit and then into a micro. I've written the software that demodulates the signal (since it is basically a 38kHz carrier) and outputs the proper signal through the serial port to the PC. There is no optical coupling, it is entirely electrical.

I will put some pictures / description on my site in a few days, just been too busy.
crust

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crust wrote:
I will put some pictures / description on my site in a few days, just been too busy.

I put a text description and some picture of the circuit I built up on
my site. I don't have the schematics up yet (i never made any).
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you used a microcomputer to perform the function of a simple one-shot retriggerable multivibrator.
crust

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Looks like you used a microcomputer to perform the function of a simple one-shot retriggerable multivibrator.

To duplicate the output of the one of the off-the-shelf parts, the signal needs to also be inverted, so i would have to use a 123A or similar. Mainly because the output voltage of the box is very low. I didn't have any in my bench stock. Secondly, the software performs the noise
rejection by ignoring signals that are obviously not real. It outputs a serial stream representing the widths of the pulses rather than requiring the PC to poll the port like most of the simple receivers around. The first version was simpler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: