JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Devices4.xls" reading a problem for me.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfischer1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: "Devices4.xls" reading a problem for me. Reply with quote

Hi,

About a year ago I discovered JP1. As I seemed not to be able to walk into my electronics room and grab the parts for an interface and put them together, I ordered and received a completed USB JP1 which works great. Very Happy

I selected Remote Master instead of KM as I do not have Excel.

IR, RM are all working great and I am getting into the job to set up my RCU810. Smile

But I am having some trouble with the statement that RM can be used with out Excel. Sad

The file "Devices4.xls" cannot be read using the tools that I have on hand.
I think that it has some very useful needed information.

Microsoft Excel Viewer 97 - I can look at the first page, but no others.
Lotus 1-2-3 10 - Password-protected Excel file.
Quattro Pro 10 - File encrypted.
Paradox 10 - Unable to get table field descriptions.
Lotus WordPro 9.7 - aborts.
Microsoft Word 2000 - Cannot convert password protected documents.

I tried searching for "Excel Converters" and came up with a $$$$$$$ crippled trial.

-------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate it if someone with Excel would contact me about sending me a different file preferably with the formulas in text form. Perhaps Comma separated format, but I can handle almost any text format.

I think that the conversion to 1-2-3 or Quattro or Java or ... will not be hard for me. If I am successful perhaps I can convert some of the other files that cannot be read by the Excel challenged.

TIA 8)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Devices4.xls" reading a problem for me. Reply with quote

Note: I moved this thread to the more appropriate Beginner's forum.

sfischer1 wrote:
Microsoft Excel Viewer 97 - I can look at the first page, but no others

If you can view the sheet called "Setup", that's all you need. What I don't know is whether the lookup functions that populate the fields on "Setup" will work with the viewer.

Last edited by Mark Pierson on Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have many setup codes that you want to look up in devices4 or just a few. If it's just a few, post what they are and one of us will post files with the info that you need.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, of all the JP1 spreadsheet tools, devices4 is probably the only one that might be portable to another app (though I'm not sure if Excel's Data Validation feature is supported by any of the other SS apps).

The other Excell-based tools, like KM, special-protocols, Extender Code Calculator, etc, use advanced features of Excel that prohibit their being ported to other the apps.

Lastly, since devices4 is getting dated (it's based on the 15-1994), it's necessity has gone down substantially. Many people here, especially the experts, can probably help you locate whatever it is you're looking for.
sfischer1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
If you can view the sheet called "Setup", that's all you need. What I don't know is whether the lookup functions that populate the fields on "Setup" will work with the viewer.

Mark

While the Free Excel Viewer allows me to look at the first page, I cannot enter any data thus not allowing anything but the initial "Cable 0525" to be shown using the Free Excel 97 Viewer.

I do not believe that the Devices4 excel file is password protected or encrypted but is simply compressed. If the file was saved by Excel uncompressed and then Zipped up as the current one is the resulting file size would be about the same.

Then I suspect the tools I have would be able to read the file and I could manually search for what I am Fisching for.

This would not be a general solution as the Free Excel Viewer action would remain the same.

The Robman wrote:
Do you have many setup codes that you want to look up in devices4 or just a few. If it's just a few, post what they are and one of us will post files with the info that you need.

Later, Rob

Other than wanting to look at the entire file for learning purposes, there is only one code that I am looking for.

Prior to learning about JP1 I had great difficulty getting my RCU810 to learn one key on the original RCA TV remote. It would take 5 or more times to get the RCU810 to learn the key, sometimes many more.

My RCA TV Model (RCA F27683GY) was part of the one year customer purchased BETA TEST of the "TV Guide (Plus+ ?)" (text mode only) on screen free (Paid by TV pricing) listing service.

The key is the "TV Guide (Plus+ ?)" Schedule Recording (And / Or) VCR Recording button.

When I downloaded the RCU810 into IR, IR had just a hard time understanding this learned key.

2 TV Rec Gap-390-1617-24? 143 14 23 8F.E.17

The "TV Guide (Plus+ ?)" system changed to a graphic one the next year and I had to put the "TV Guide (Plus+ ?)" system into a special mode to download new software. I do not have many of the features of the current system.

A purchased RCA TV General Remote had the other TV Guide+ keys but not this one which was changed the next year with the Graphic Mode Version. I plan to do 10 or relearns and see if IR can understand any of them.

Mark Pierson wrote:
Just an FYI, of all the JP1 spreadsheet tools, devices4 is probably the only one that might be portable to another app (though I'm not sure if Excel's Data Validation feature is supported by any of the other SS apps).

The other Excell-based tools, like KM, special-protocols, Extender Code Calculator, etc, use advanced features of Excel that prohibit their being ported to other the apps.

Lastly, since devices4 is getting dated (it's based on the 15-1994), it's necessity has gone down substantially. Many people >here, especially the experts, can probably help you locate whatever it is you're looking for.

Mark

I do not believe that Excel has ANY features that cannot be done in other Spreadsheets.

With Lotus 1-2-3's ability to switch to Script Mode I can add any programming needed should it not be built in.

For my own use of "Devices4", I would probably convert to Paradox 10 for my own use as I use its programming mode a lot. That is if dv4 has what I think it has. Not for general distribution.

SHF
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in about the same position as sfischer1 , looking for general info. I do find a need occassionally for the older codes when someone brings a product into my shop without the original remote and there is no built in code in the remote. (just happened with a Sony 8mm -- UEI left the Sony VTR2 code out of the URC8810 and URC6131 - VCR 0034) I found an upgrade for all 3 codes later and I could build it from scratch now using the Sony remote resource but it would have been nice to be able to read devices4.xls.

Interestingly enough my viewer opens with VCR 162 and not Cable 552. Scrolling through a large file is not an obstacle , I used to search program files with a hex viewer to find hidden command line parameters. (remember Dosshell ?)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contents of devices4.xls are not for general distribution, that's why there's the front page screen where you select the code you want to look at.
sfischer1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. The file IS encrypted. The various codes posted here and there are not copyright able.

A "Collection" like those in a particular remote ARE copyright able.

I thus cancel my request. Thanks.

SHF
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: