JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Device for KM from remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Device for KM from remote Reply with quote

I just got my 9960 and programed the device codes into it. As with any other remote, the vast majority of stuff is now there, but there is a button or two that is missing. If it weren't for JP1, I would be upset because I would not be able to put my other remotes up.

What I am wanting to know is if there is anyway to get the device settings out of the remote and into KM for modification. Or would I have to download a text file or make my own from scratch? It just seems like I should be able to take the good stuff out of the remote and modify it for use in KM.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Device for KM from remote Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
What I am wanting to know is if there is anyway to get the device settings out of the remote and into KM for modification.

The built-in codes are stored in the remotes ROM and cannot be accessed by JP1.

Quote:
Or would I have to download a text file or make my own from scratch?

That's 2 ways of doing it. You can try the devices4 spreadsheet and/or the Advanced Codes to see if your setup code is there. There's also the CCF library over at RemoteCentral.

Quote:
It just seems like I should be able to take the good stuff out of the remote and modify it for use in KM.

Unfortunately, that's not possible.
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to tell what keys do what from a standard stored code? What I mean is... is there any way to compare what is already stored in the remote vs. what someone has created for a device?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in devices4.xls, you can tell how it's mapped on the 15-1994 (the remote devices4 is based on). Other than that, there is no easy way to tell unfortunately.

I suppose one could assume that an upgrade is mapped as logically as possible (i.e. Power=power, Play=play, Info=info, etc), but that's obviously not always the case.

Remember, there's 2 reason to use JP1 to build an upgrade: 1) there's limited functionality from a built-in code, or 2) there's no built-in code. In the case of #1, the missing commands are generally added (sourced from Advanced Code lists, learned signals, etc). For #2, everything needs to be sourced from somewhere beforehand.

Creating upgrades is easy when you have a learning JP1 remote and the OEM remote. In most cases, a complete upgrade can probably be built in 30 minutes to an hour. To fill in a few missing commands (via key moves) would take substantially less time.

And don't forget that even if your specific device isn't represented by an existing upgrade in the Files section, chances are good that there's something similar, or close enough to it, to serve as a starting point.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper, if it's only a few keys per device then you can keymove the proper keys to the built-in setup code. You have a lot of options. Try that first. In an unextended remote, keymoves and macros share the same memory pool. Device upgrades are in a different pool. If you are going to put the additional commands on shifted or phantom buttons, you have to key move those anyway.

So when you run out of KM/Macro memory you can use up some device upgrade memory and free up keymoves.

When you ultimately move to an extender, they recover the learning memory and you will have plenty of space.
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is my problem at the present time...

I have a Kenwood Audio receiver. On it's OEM remote, there is a button labeled "Video" that switches between the various video inputs. There is not a button like that on the Kameleon that will switch between the inputs. Instead, the number pad switches the inputs. Problem is that #1 is CD, #2 doesn't do anything, #3 doesn't do anything, #4 is phono or something like that... etc. This might be ok for now if there was a number that activated the inputs that I use, but there isn't one. There is no way to switch to the 2 inputs that I use via the Kameleon.

So, I really wanted to see how the original device code was set up to find out what button #1, #2, etc did. Since that is not possible, I downloaded the upgrade for that receiver. I plugged it into KM and poked around. It was labeled pretty clearly what all the functions were, so I mapped DVD to Button #1 and Video 2 to button #2. I then tried to load it up into IR and got an error message. See my other post below for those details.

Thanks for helping me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: