JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131 won't accept these two upgrades at the same time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: 6131 won't accept these two upgrades at the same time Reply with quote

I have a 6131, and have built two upgrades for it. One of them is to control my Marantz receiver, and works fine by itself. The other is to use the Marantz receiver to play the music from my computer through my TiVo, and works fine by itself. The odd thing here is that when I add these two upgrades together, the first one that is added does not work correctly. Whichever one I add second works fine. It is as if one is trumping the other, but I can't see where or why. Could someone please take a look and see if anything becomes apperant to you? I have posted the IR file here. Thank you.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, there's 2 copies of the Device Combiner protocol ($0144) on the Protocols tab. They appear to be identical; one should be deleted.

Are both upgrades accounted for in the DC protocol (proper PID and Fixed Data, etc)? It would be nice to see the upgrade files as well to make sure everything is ok.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Can I only have one Device Combiner? I thought that I could have more than one. I have one for the receiver, because it is a combination of rc5 and rc5x. That is on the Audio device. I have one to control the TiVo Home Media option, through the receiver, which uses the PVR controls and menus, but uses the receiver to control volume. Because I must use a different input selection on the receiver for this, I made the DC. This is on the Cable button. I put the TiVo HM Option DC here and the Marantz combiner here. I think they are correct.
Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jherrick wrote:
Can I only have one Device Combiner? I thought that I could have more than one.

You can only have one copy of the DC protocol code installed on the remote. You can have multiple device upgrades that use it. Remember, the DC allows you to combine up to 16 devices; they don't all need to be in one upgrade.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
You can only have one copy of the DC protocol code installed on the remote.

OK.

Mark Pierson wrote:
You can have multiple device upgrades that use it. Remember, the DC allows you to combine up to 16 devices; they don't all need to be in one upgrade.

I am afraid that I don't fully understand this. I can combine all of the devices to one DC, no problem. But could you please elaborate on how I would make different upgrades from the DC to control the two things I want to? Thanks.
Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there can only be one copy of the DC protocol installed, what you do is create a "master" where you add all the protocols you want to combine. Even if the device upgrade in the file is for a subset of the devices, the DC must contain everything you want to combine.

Then you create additional upgrade files (seperately), but use the PID ID# from the master in the byte2 column.

For example, a DC upgrade for a TV and Cable is created. The DC table contains the PID/Fixed Data for each one (TV=0, Cable=1).

Now let's say you want to add a VCR and RCVR. In the first file, you add the PID/Fixed Data for the 2 new devices. This becomes the "master" protocol, and needs to get pasted into IR. Then you create the new VCR/RCVR upgrade using the proper PID #'s (2 and 3) in the byte2 column. When you're done, only copy the Device Upgrade code over to IR... the DC protocol code is there from the first file.

What I have done in these situations is created an upgrade file where I only maintain the DC protocol settings... the upgrade doesn't matter and isn't used. Then I've created 2 or more device upgrades to combine the various equipment.

As long as you use the proper DC ID# for the byte2 setting, everything works.

I hope this helps.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I hope this helps.

YES! I was getting the terminology confused. I was also under the assumption that to load an upgrade, I had to load a protocol that was unique to it. I thought that they went together, and didn't understand that one protocol can support many upgrades. Now I know. And (corny GI Joe quote) "knowing is half the battle".
Thank you.
Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also important to remember that as the remote search for upgrades (device or protocol), it will use the FIRST one it finds in EEPROM. Therefore, subsequent upgrades with the same setup code or PID never get found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: