Joined: 03 Aug 2003
Location: Connecticut, USA
|Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:25 pm Post subject: JP1 Software Tools
|The JP1 how-to's and software tools can be found at the links below. For best results, please make sure you are using the latest versions of the tools, and take the time to read any included documentation (readme files, installation notes, etc).
- JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? - a basic JP1 how-to (based on KM), written by the JP1 Master, Rob Crowe. There's also a version for RM users.
- JP1 for Beginners - though this is a little outdated, it covers many of the basic JP1 concepts and is a good tutorial into the world of JP1 (a downloadable version is available here).
- Origin and History of JP1 - great Wiki piece written by Tommy Tyler
- The WHAT and WHY of JP1 - another excellent document for beginners just getting into the world of JP1.
- Choosing The Right JP1 Cable - before you buy, or build, a JP1 cable, read this doc to make sure you get the right type. To build your own, check out these Interface Designs.
- Having Problems Using Your Parallel JP1 Cable? - if your new JP1 cable doesn't seem to be working, this doc describes some tricks that you can use with the batteries to try and make it work.
- IR.exe - the program used to communicate with the remote using a JP1 Cable.
- Requires Windows 9x or later (NT, 2k, XP require Admin rights).
- Requires a JP1 Interface to communicate with the remote
- Requires the RDF Files below.
- KM (keymap-master) - Excel spreadsheet used to create and edit Device Upgrades files. Some older upgrade files can still be found at Yahoo. Once loaded into KM, these are copied into IR to upload to the remote.
- Requires Excel 97 or later.
- Will NOT work with any other spreadsheet software (ie, Open Office, etc)
- RM (RemoteMaster) - Java-based application used to create and edit Device Upgrade files. Some older upgrade files can still be found at Yahoo. Once loaded into RM, these are copied into IR to upload to the remote.
- NOTE: you can use either KM or RM to create Device Upgrade files... you do not need both.
- RDF Files - Remote Definition Files required by IR and RM. (Some aditional RDFs can be found here).
- Maps and Images - Remote Images required by RM.
- Want to post a screen shot? - this doc describes how.
- Other tools and miscellaneous files can be found in the File Section.