JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony7 Protocol Identified in IR not available in KM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Sony7 Protocol Identified in IR not available in KM Reply with quote

I'm implementing an extender on the RS 2117. In my current setup I'm using one learned signal which is used to activate a toy that plays a lullabye in the baby's room. IR 5.09 has identified this signal as OBC 63 using the SONY7 protocol. I'd like to create an upgrade for this device with KM, but this protocol is not available. Without the upgrade I can't implement this code once I switch over to the extender (no learned signals). Any suggestions?

-Dave
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should post your IR file so we can verify what the signal really looks like. There's no such protocol as Sony7, so I suspect that it's really a bad decode caused by a never before seen protocol.
DPE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded SONY7.IR to the diagnosis area.

The remote for the toy has three buttons. I learned the buttons to to TV 1, 2 and 3, by holding the buttons down until the 2117 reported "SUCCESS". I then tried to learn the same three buttons again to TV 4, 5, and 6 by just pressing and releasing the buttons quickly. When using this second method, only the first button was successfully learned (TV 4).

Thanks,
Dave
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly is an unusual protocol. Do the commands learned to buttons TV 1, 2, and 3 work? Despite what the decoder says it's neither Sony nor seven bits. For the other decoding experts, if you divide all commands by 2136 uSec you get the following. The -0 means a very short off pulse of ~100 uSec. With the exception of the gap all characters represent a pulse (-11 isn't -11 x 2136 it is -1 x 2136, 1 x 2136).

Button1 = 1-0 Lead In
Button1 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -01 -11-11-11-11 -8 First
Button1 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -02 -11-11-11-11 -8 Repeat

Button2 = 1-0 Lead In
Button2 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -01 -22-22-22-22 -10 First
Button2 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -02 -22-22-22-22 -10 Repeat

Button3 = 1-0 Lead In
Button3 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -01 -42-02-42-02-42-02-42-02 -9 First
Button3 = 2-02-02-02-02-02 -02 -42-02-42-02-42-02-42-02 -9 Repeat

I don't see how PB could generate these commands within the 72 bit limit and I don't even see how it could create the repeat segment in 72 bits.

Dave what that means is one of the three or four protocol/assembly language experts would have to be willing and then spend a lot of time creating a protocol. I am wondering if this is academic curiosity or something that really needs to be integrated into your 2117.

Note: Edited to reflect Rob's observation that there is a lead in and either a toggle bit or bit that changes between the one-time and repeat frames.

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Could you re-learn button 3 and re-post the file please.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is based on the #1 and #2 buttons as the #3 button doesn't appear to be learned as well, though a re-learn may prove all this to be incorrect.

This signal appears to have a lead-in pair of "+2136 -92" that's only sent once.

Then it has a 6-bit string (where each bit is "+4248 -92") that preceeds the main data string.

The data string is 5 pairs long where each pair can be one of 4 values...

0 = +2084 -2534
1 = +2084 -4588
2 = +4222 -2442
3 = -4704 +4248

Plus there's a lead-out of approx -15000

The first occurrance of the data string has a different value to the subsequent occurrances. If you view the string as 10 bits, the first bit toggles.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch on the one time lead in. It will be interesting if a re-learn of 3 makes it conform. It certainly is a complicated protocol for three commands and it wasn't designed by anyone worrying about battery life Smile
DPE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I'll relearn and repost the .IR file this evening.

-Dave
DPE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded a second .IR file, but button three still seems odd.

This time buttons 1, 2, and 3 on the toy were learned to TV 1, TV 2, and TV 3 by doing a single press and release on the learning key followed by a press and hold on the teaching key. On TV 4, 5, and 6, I relearned the buttons holding both the learning and teaching keys down until the remote responded with "SUCCESS". All 6 learned signals do work properly, activating the toy as the original buttons do.

And, Jon, no this isn't something that I have to have in my 2117 -- just something that would have been nice had there been an easy solution. I don't think it's worth hours of work to develop a special protocol. Although I did notice something else interesting this evening. Keys 1 and 3 in device CBL 0476 will activate this toy, although with slightly different results than the original keys.

Thanks for investigating, Jon and Rob!

-Dave
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPE wrote:
I've uploaded a second .IR file, but button three still seems odd.

It looks exactly the same as the previous #3 and that is quite different from 1 or 2.

Quote:
Although I did notice something else interesting this evening. Keys 1 and 3 in device CBL 0476 will activate this toy, although with slightly different results than the original keys.

Do keys CBL 0476 1 and 3 do more or less the same thing as keys 1 and 3 that you learned? It is important to correlate the CBL 0476 keys to the closest OEM or Learned keys. That may provide a solution.

Also could you describe the behavior that is different using the cable keys as opposed to the learned keys.
DPE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 0476 Cable 1 and 3 do not perform the same function as the original 1 and 3 keys.

Here's how the original remote works. The toy plays a single song. If you press button one, the song either starts playing from the beginning or stops altogether. If you press button two, the song either starts playing at a given point halfway into the song or stops altogether. If you press button three, the song either starts playing at a given point three-quarters of the way into the song or stops altogether.

Keys 1, 2, 3, 5, and 0 of device 0476 cable sporadically turn the toy on and off at points other than the ones described above. When the buttons do work, however, they seem to start the song at a consistent point for a given button.

I'll keep experimenting to see if I can produce a reliable response from a known device/protocol. Although, this may soon become more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks again.

-Dave
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPE wrote:
On TV 4, 5, and 6, I relearned the buttons holding both the learning and teaching keys down until the remote responded with "SUCCESS".

There's no need to hold the "learning" button (I'm not sure if that could induce problems either). Just tap the button you want to learn to on the 2117 and then quickly press the button on the OEM remote (try to make it as short a press as possible).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
There's no need to hold the "learning" button (I'm not sure if that could induce problems either). Just tap the button you want to learn to on the 2117 and then quickly press the button on the OEM remote (try to make it as short a press as possible).

You don't want to hold the JP1 remote's button down, but you DO want to hold the OEM remotes button down.

The correct learning procedure is to...
1) Put the JP1 remote into learning mode
2) TAP the button being taught
3) Wait about 1 second, then...
4) Press and HOLD the OEM remote button, until the JP1 remote indicates a successful learn.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
you DO want to hold the OEM remotes button down.

This is true most of the time. In this case, he was trying both long and short presses of the OEM to see if he could get different results. I was simply pointing out the short version technique (similar to what I needed recently with my Sharp A/C unit where the normal long presses didn't work) after spotting the fact that he was also holding the learning button.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okee dokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: