JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Basic level knowledge needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broderp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Basic level knowledge needed. Reply with quote

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm having a hard time understanding the "layers" that seem to be required to program a JP1 remote.

When I say layers I mean:

It seems that each manufacture (sony) has a different code for each TYPE of device(TV, DVD, VHS).

It seems each device can havemore than one CODE SET (TV=0000 or 01543 etc...)

It seems that each code set has unique CODES for each function in the form of a HEX number or EFC key name (I have no clue what those are)

So if I know the code to say switch my TV from 16x9 mode to 4:3 mode is TV CODE SET 0000 and the Code in hex is EF0 or the EFC is 242 (These are examples, not actual codes mind you), then if I am to use these codes, I have to learn or program the entire code set into my remote?

If I already use the code set (0000) then I should already have the codes hidden in there somewheres?

Yes? No?

If I don't, and want to load it, I cant see how to load it without overighting the files on my remote. I don't see an 'ADD" button.

Also, I want to add the "EXTENDER" file as well, but it seems like I will over-write EVERYTHING on my remote that I have.

I'm trying to figure out this IR program, I have no clue what good the Excel sheet is for, as all the macros I've been playing with and changes I've muddled my way thru had not a single bit to do with the EXCEL sheet.

Fianlly, does anyone have instructions on using the JAVA based program (instead of the EXCEL sheet?) I like the interface, but fail to see how it relates to anything. I know I can use either the excel sheet or the java with IR, but details on use are SCARSE! Rolling Eyes
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic level knowledge needed. Reply with quote

broderp wrote:
Fianlly, does anyone have instructions on using the JAVA based program (instead of the EXCEL sheet?) I like the interface, but fail to see how it relates to anything. I know I can use either the excel sheet or the java with IR, but details on use are SCARSE! Rolling Eyes

There is a Readme.html file included with RemoteMaster that provideds some help on how to use it.

If you are looking for something similar to JP1 - Just How Easy Is It?, there are some instructions here that show how to do in RM what the JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? shows how to do in KM. This will eventually get incorporated into the JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? document.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic level knowledge needed. Reply with quote

Have you read The WHAT and WHY of JP1.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic level knowledge needed. Reply with quote

broderp wrote:

If I already use the code set (0000) then I should already have the codes hidden in there somewheres?

Yes? No?
No, the command isn't already in your remote, BUT you remote knows how to generater the correct IR signal for that command. All you have to do is create a KEYMOVE specifying the corrent device type & setup code and the desired command. Most of the time we use EFCs (Extended Functions Codes, aka Advanced Codes), but those don't work properly with ALL protocols. Sometimes in IR you have to specify the HEX code instead.
Quote:

If I don't, and want to load it, I cant see how to load it without overighting the files on my remote. I don't see an 'ADD" button.

The way it works is as follows. First connect your remote to your computer with a JP1 cable. Launch IR. Download your remotes configuration into IR. IR now has an image of the EEPROM contents of you remote, and can manipulate it. Go to the "Devices" tab. Click the "Add" button to add a new device code. Voila, you've added a nee setup code to the EEPROM image. Now upload that image to the remote. Also, save (File->Save) it to a file so you can edit it without having to download again, or so you can restore this configuration to a replacement remote, or so you can post it here if you get stuck and someone can see what you've done.
Quote:

Also, I want to add the "EXTENDER" file as well, but it seems like I will over-write EVERYTHING on my remote that I have.

Again, download from your remote and save to a file so you can get back to your current configuration. Also, IR knows how to convert your saved file to use the Extender, so you won't lose your existing configuration (File -> Convert file for extender)
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic level knowledge needed. Reply with quote

broderp wrote:
It seems that each manufacture (sony) has a different code for each TYPE of device(TV, DVD, VHS).

Yes otherwise If you turned on a Sony TV then your Sony DVD would turn on, too.

But lets get some terms straight. An IR protocol is the template used in an IR command. Usually they have a device number and function number. The device number usually does not vary. The Sony 12 bit protocol device=1 (expressed as Sony12:1) is the main TV device for Sony worldwide. Sony12:1:46 (OBC=46) is the discrete power on command. Sony12:16 is the most common device code for all Sony Receivers> Sony12:16:46 is the discrete power command for Sony receivers.

Quote:
It seems each device can havemore than one CODE SET (TV=0000 or 01543 etc...)

TV/0000 is a Setup Code and a setup code can have more than one Protocol and device combination. TV/0000 is Sony12:1 and Sony15:164. The former is usually though as the primary device since most commands are on Sony12:1.

Quote:
It seems that each code set has unique CODES for each function in the form of a HEX number or EFC key name (I have no clue what those are)

Yes, sometimes they are published by the manufacturer but mostly done by reverse engineering. We know how to read Pronto files and there are literally thousands of those posted at Remote Central. Learned commands on OFA learninig remotes can be directly decoded by John Fine's decoder that is bundled with IR. You just have to look in the learned tab.

Hex used in the OFA/JP1 remote context means one or more 8-bit bytes. EFC (aka Advanced Codes) are an encryption of HEX. All of our tools automatically translate EFC to HEX. OBC's are a subset of HEX. For Sony OBC's are 7-bits. EFC/HEX has an extra bit. That extra bit decides whether you get Sony12:1 or Sony15:164.

Quote:
So if I know the code to say switch my TV from 16x9 mode to 4:3 mode is TV CODE SET 0000 and the Code in hex is EF0 or the EFC is 242 (These are examples, not actual codes mind you), then if I am to use these codes, I have to learn or program the entire code set into my remote?

No you can assign those to just about any key or any SHIFTED-key.

Quote:

Yes, it's in the ROM. Everything we do is reading and writing to and from the EEPROM, only. IR can't see the ROM. If a device upgrade for setup code TV/0000 is entered into the EEPROM, the remote will ignore what is in the ROM. It does not and can not erase the built in setup code. The only way to do that is with a hammer Smile

Quote:

You don't overwrite anything in the ROM. In a key move you tell it to substitute another setup code and command ONLY for a specific button.

Quote:

Don't try to tackle the extender until everything else works and you get a little experiece.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out this IR program, I have no clue what good the Excel sheet is for, as all the macros I've been playing with and changes I've muddled my way thru had not a single bit to do with the EXCEL sheet.

You don't need KM or RM to do anything except for device and protocol upgrades. That adds a setup code that is not in the built in library.

Quote:
Fianlly, does anyone have instructions on using the JAVA based program (instead of the EXCEL sheet?) I like the interface, but fail to see how it relates to anything. I know I can use either the excel sheet or the java with IR, but details on use are SCARSE!

Try this and remember the old cliche about eating an elephant ...
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broderp , in looking over your threads , I didn't see where anyone explained how to enter an EFC code manually to test it without programming it into the remote (sorry if I missed it somewhere) and I didn't see if you found out if the command actually worked for you.

You set the remote to the TV function , then press the "set" key to get a single blink followed by pressing the three digits in sequence -- the command is sent on the third digit keypress.

I use this method at work with an old (non JP1) remote on sets that people bring in for repair and forget the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: