JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BoseWave Macro help needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: BoseWave Macro help needed Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm just about at my wit's end with this one, hopefully one of you experts can help.

I'm running the V2 extender on my 2116. (Which is fantastic, by the way!) My audio device is a Bose Wave radio/CD. (Yes, it's a pretty small system...) I used the upgrade posted by gfb107 over at Yahoo to get it running. The upgrade works great by itself, but in my macros, I am only getting about a 5% response out of the Bose. I have played around with both delays (up to a couple of seconds even!!) and multiple keypresses (up to 10 even!!!!) but nothing is helping with this problem. Always extremely unreliable response from the Bose, but only in the macros. I can hit the keys manually as fast as I possibly can and get just about 100% response from it. I also had the same problem before installing the extender so it's doubtful that it is related to that.

Any help would be appreciated. I will probably try the signal duration hack in the device combiner next, except that my 'trial' MS Office expired and I am now waiting for delivery of SW from MS to get Excel back on the air on my PC, just thought maybe someone might have some ideas in the meantime......

Much thx in advance,
Tbone

(Still waiting to get my Advent TV back from the shop (almost 2 months later!!!))
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, and I don't know Bose, but I can tell you that Device Combiner's duration control is the ONLY reasonable solution I've come across for duration problems of my DishNetwork devices in macros.

The good news is you don't have to use KM (and Excel) to build a DC upgrade, you can do it using RM (they added support to RM for DC a couple of weeks ago).

Try RM - it's even easier than KM for DC upgrades!
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, but for some reason that file will not open in RemoteMaster. My other KM files open fine in RM, but not that one....

Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that Manual Settings (which is what the Bose Wave upgrade uses) are not (yet?) supported in RM, unless I'm mistaken.

Tbone
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support for Manual Settings is intentionally limited in RM.

It is possible to open an KM upgrade that uses Manual Settings, and save and use it as an RM upgrade.

It is NOT possible to create an upgrade that uses Manual Settings in RM.

It is NOT possible to use a Manual Settings protocol as one of the protocols in Device Combiner.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this protocol upgrade instead for Bose. You can directly enter that in IR, just delete the other version first. I just added a minimum of 5 repeats in a macro:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 23 (S3C8+) Bose Wave Radio (PB v3.10)
43 8A 01 8B 14 A4 55 08 08 00 FA 02 DA 00 FA 00
E6 61 A8 01 F4 02 DA FF 05 8D 01 46
End

Make sure I didn't break something in normal use. If that works, I can easily add support in RM, but using the DC is probably overkill in this case.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Great! Thanks, Jon, I will give that a shot as soon as I get home from work this afternoon / evening!!! The level of support and assistance in this forum continues to just blow my mind!

Thx again,
Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: No luck..... Reply with quote

Well, there's no joy down here in the land of air conditioners and swamp coolers, I am getting about the same success rate in my macros with this protocol upgrade, plus when I try to adjust the volume, it changes 4 steps with only the shortest key press. But thanks for the effort!

Is there any way to increase the signal duration (other than the DC) instead of the number of signal iterations? Can I even use the DC with a protocol that uses Manual Setting in KM? (Still waiting for delivery of my MS Office.....)

(I do have a workaround for now but it is a pain in the butt - I put the Bose commands at the end of my macros and just hold the key down until the bose picks up on it. This sometimes takes as much as 10 - 15 seconds, and lots of waving the remote back and forth in front of the bose...)

Thx again,
Tbone
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No luck..... Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
Is there any way to increase the signal duration (other than the DC) instead of the number of signal iterations? Can I even use the DC with a protocol that uses Manual Setting in KM? (Still waiting for delivery of my MS Office.....)

Unless there is something I don't understand, I modified the protocol directly to do what DC does by other means. Some IR protocols repeat as long as you hold the button. Others are sent only once and some have a segment that is sent once and a different repeat segment. The only way we figure out some of this is from experimentation. Right now I would say the recognition problem isn't the "number of repeats" = duration. It could be too long or short of an interval between commands aka "the gap" and a variety of other things.

You might also try different batteries. When you run a macro, the remote consumes more average current in a very short period because the commands are sent close together, so a bad battery doesn't have a chance to recover between commands. I don't think that is the best theory, but the first thing I noticed was that my macros quit working reliably when my batteries got weak.

If that doesn't help, I think we need to look at other issues. Can you learn the commands that are causing problems and post the file saved in IR. I'll take another look. I created that protocol originally, and maybe I missed something.

Are you using an RF repeater by any chance or any sort of IR distribution system?
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bose upgrade itself. I can aim the remote just about ANYWHERE (even from around the corner) and get just about 100% reception at the bose (when keying in commands manually). It just seems like the bose device selection is not happening correctly (or reliably) in my macros.

I'm using NiMH batteries, and I just swapped in a fresh set last night while trying out your new protocol. Made no difference. (And the NiMH's are new within a month or so.)

No RF repeaters or IR distribution systems.....

All of the individual commands work great, so I'm not sure what you would like me to learn.... Should I just post my normal IR file at Yahoo when I get home tonight after work?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already, could you try an experiment for me. Could you program a macro with just one Bose button in it and see if that works? In trying to think what the difference could be between normal button presses and the buttons included in a macro, the best I can come up with is that there might not be a long enough gap between either the button prior to the Bose button, or the button after.

If it's the latter, that should be easy to fix just by giving this protocol a longer lead-out time. If it's the former, it's a little trickier but it can still be done.

If the one button macro works, try adding one button before it and see if that works. Then try one button after it, etc. In other words, keep messing with it until you break it again in an attempt to narrow down exactly what's breaking it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, it wouldn't be lead-out because that's the time between frames in repeated frames.

Everything Tbone has said contradicts the usual theories about delay and confirms the less common theory that it needs more repeats.

Jon posted a protocol upgrade that fits PB's version of setting minimum repeats to 5.

I see only three plausible theories that this point:

1) PB's version of minimum repeats (which I assume came from me) is wrong.

2) 5 isn't enough.

3) That protocol upgrade was not installed correctly into the eeprom image that was tested.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that I think about it more, maybe it needs BOTH a minimum repeat of 2 and some delay between commands. That would explain why neither alone was good.

The Vol behavior (4 steps for 5 frames) is interesting. If you can't get away with cutting the min repeat back to 2, then you may need two different upgrades, one used in macros and one used by the keyboard.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. I found a Pronto file that had with the exception of one badly learned command, every frame as exectly 77,888 uSec. All commands repeated.

I changed the minimum repeats to two and set the frame to be exactly 77,888.

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 23 (S3C8)
43 8A 01 8B 14 E4 55 08 08 00 FA 02 DA 00 FA 00
E6 98 20 01 F4 02 DA FF 02 8D 01 46
End
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks everybody for the help, but after playing around with trial macros for the past two hours, I am so overloaded with what SEEMS to be working better and what definitely isn't helping that I have gotten pretty friggin confused.

All I am certain of for now is that a) Jon's previous post didn't SEEM to make much of a difference, and b) it SEEMS that rearranging my macro sequences so that the TV commands are immediately before the bose commands works MUCH more reliably that if my DVD/VCR (Philips combo) commands are immediately before the bose commands.

More later, if my brain doesn't implode before then....

Thx,
Tbone
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: