JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete video inputs (Multiple/Nested ToadTogs?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capn,
If you also have a KM file for this, could you load that also please. Remember that while RM can read both RMDU and KM files, KM can only read KM files.

Thanks,
Rob
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hey Capn,
If you also have a KM file for this, could you load that also please. Remember that while RM can read both RMDU and KM files, KM can only read KM files.

Thanks,
Rob

Well, I have my old KM file that is uncertain with regard to discretes. It has been resident in the JP1 files section since Sep 2002.

My notes say that the discrete video inputs in this upgrade (using KM and built for a 1994) don't work, but that may have been me doing something wrong, or perhaps the protocol upgrade generated by KM for the 1994 differs from the protocol resident in the 2117, since the RM upgrade for the 2117 required no protocol upgrade.

I've pretty much not done any updating or testing since that 2002 initial trial and setup, as I have switched to a 2117 and RM.

I may update this KM upgrade with all of the functions, and if I get around to it, may test it with both the 2117 (no protocol upgrade required) and 1994 (protocol upgrade required) to see if there is a difference, but haven't looked at it in a while.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
the protocol upgrade generated by KM for the 1994 differs from the protocol resident in the 2117, since the RM upgrade for the 2117 required no protocol upgrade

I may test it with both the 2117 (no protocol upgrade required) and 1994 (protocol upgrade required) to see if there is a difference, but haven't looked at it in a while.

I don't have Java at work, so I can't verify with RM, but I just noticed that my device upgrade for the NEC Plasma TV using KM (Excel IS on my work computer) requires a protocol upgrade (ID 01 40) for BOTH the 1994 and 2117, while the RDMU file calls on protocol 00 B6, and NO protocol upgrade. Surprised

The protocol name is the same (NEC1 combo) in both. Confused

Is it possible for KM to come with a protocol upgrade with a different protocol ID and RM to deduce that no protocol upgrade is required for the same protocol name? Question

I am, once again, and as usual, confused Confused

LATER...

Upon further research, I notice that KM has "NEC1 combo" (ID 01 40) and "NEC1 combo (official)" (ID 00 B6) as two distinct protocols. Embarassed I am pretty certain that the NEC1 combo (official) did not exist in KM back when I initially built this upgrade.

Is the 01 40 protocol still useful? Why? What's the difference?
Is it resident in any remote? Question

In this particular circumstance, it appears that the 00 B6 protocol works more of the functions than the 01 40 protocol. But they are named such that in KM you get the 01 40 while in RM you get the 00 B6. Surprised

P.S. Boy this JP1 stuff just keeps sucking me in. I think I'm done - I have the remote doing PRECISELY what I want, yet here I am, still asking you guys (and myself) stupid questions Evil or Very Mad Sheesh! I need to get a life! Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I don't have Java at work, so I can't verify with RM, but I just noticed that my device upgrade for the NEC Plasma TV using KM (Excel IS on my work computer) requires a protocol upgrade (ID 01 40) for BOTH the 1994 and 2117, while the RDMU file calls on protocol 00 B6, and NO protocol upgrade. Surprised

The protocol name is the same (NEC1 combo) in both. Confused

Since you did that upgrade, we've added the 'NEC1 Combo (Official)' (00 B6) protocol to KM. The 'NEC1 Combo' (0140) is Rob's old hacked version. If you select the 00B6 version in KM, it should match that of RM.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal design goal for this aspect of RM, was that when the same set of device and OBC etc. information can produce the same final signals out of the remote via two different "protocol executors", they should have the same protocol name in protocols.ini and RM should pick the better one for your model remote and the other should be unavailable.

My hope was that the end user would only need to worry about the set of signals to be reproduced and not about too many details of how that occurs.

With two or more cooks (Mark and Rob and Greg and I, to name a few) at each of two stew pots (KM and RM) you can't expect exactly the same seasoning on every plate.

KM had at least historical and maybe also design philosophy reasons to differ from RM in NEC1 combos.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was just that at the time we first needed an NEC combo, there wasn't an official exec to do this, so we wrote one and called it "01 40". Since then, obviously, UEI has also decided that they too need a combo exec and they wrote one.

Whenever possible, we will use a built in exec over one we wrote ourselves as it will use alot less EEPROM memory.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roger all of the three explanations about the NEC1 Combo (hacked) {original} protocol vs. the NEC1 Combo (official) {newer} protocol.

My observation (relying on memory only) is/was that using the "known" discretes for video inputs, and a handful of other functions (contrast +-, brightness +-, sharpness +-, etc), when I used the hacked protocol (with KM and 1994) in KM 2 years ago, those functions DID NOT WORK.

When I use the official protocol (with RM and 2117 - which if I read your explanantions correctly, the remote and program are immaterial here, it's only the protocol that is at issue) these functions work correctly.

So my gross conclusion is that the official protocol yields better results - at least for the device 24/24.231 family of signals.

I may get around to testing just for curiosity - build identical upgrades and have each call on a different protocol and test all of the functions for consistency/divergence - or is that a waste of time?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the official protocol works and the hacked one doesn't, don't bother messing around with the hacked one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: