JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiplexor and keymoves questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After readig the Readme in 8910_ext1_1 I think I understand how to set the TV, VCR, CBL, SAT DVD modes to use the TV's Vol+, Vol- & Mute while the CD and RCVR modes use the RCVR's Vol+, Vol- & Mute. Using the ExtInstall I use macros for each device key correct? And ExtInstall adds these macros automaticly and I just need to modify them to my needs? These macros make the device keys act similar to the remotes original default (non-extended) Hometheater setup?

Quote:
Also remember that Fav (in modes where you don't override it with a KeyMove) operates differently in the extender than non extender. I hope you didn't particularly want the non extender version of FAV (most people don't want it). It's one of the extender "improvements" that are non optional. You can't configure the extender back to the "inferior" FAV operation.

Am I also correct in assuming that it's ok if using the extender to use the Fav key with my DevToggle keymove like below?

VCR | FAV | = | DEV Toggle | TV | 1102 | $00 $0F | 058* [Use Hex]

I can leave it as Shift-VCR as origginally planned, no prob. Just asking.

The only other thing I plan on using the Fav key for is a IR code for my Cable device on my Cable mode.

One more question. The HomeTheater Key. Can I set it up as a macro like the other device keys as the Bound Key (HT) with a macro to act like the non-extended Hometheater key setup or the extended device key macros? The logical MySYS device info confused me. Or is the following quote refering to the device keys also include the HT key?
Quote:
To achieve simple device selection (no VPT, TPT or HT) and set the LCD,
you would put an 8 command macro on each device key, for example the TV
device key would have the macro:
DEV_TV; SET_TRANS_KEYS; SET_VOL_KEYS; SET_CHAN_KEYS;
SET_MENU_KEYS; SET_PIP_KEYS; SET_OTHER_KEYS; SET_LCD

Wheelie4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to start fresh. I created a new IR file using the 8910/9910 extender 1. I ran ExtInstall. When I started adding my Upgrades I ran in to a problem. Upgrade Overflow while adding my 9th and final upgrade device. Says I must remove some upgrade devices or protocols. Sad

These 3 protocols I don't think I need that I'm aware of. Is it safe to remove these?

MISC/1106, protocol 1F9 = Long/Double Key Press
MISC/1107, protocol 1F8 = Custom Mode Name
MISC/1800, protocol 181 = ToadTog

Last edited by Wheelie4 on Tue May 25, 2004 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

Am I also correct in assuming that it's ok if using the extender to use the Fav key with my DevToggle keymove

Yes. I can never remember which models allow a KeyMove on Fav to work without an extender. But in an extender it works.

Wheelie4 wrote:

The only other thing I plan on using the Fav key for is a IR code for my Cable device on my Cable mode.

Same answer. I can't remember which models allow Fav to be an ordinary IR signal (rather than always triggering the Fav/Scan process built into the remote) but the extenders do allow that. The extender's Fav list processing is only triggered if nothing else is defined for that key in the selected mode.

Wheelie4 wrote:

One more question. The HomeTheater Key. Can I set it up as a macro like the other device keys as the Bound Key (HT) with a macro to act like the non-extended Hometheater key

Yes. If that's what you want.

Wheelie4 wrote:

The logical MySYS device info confused me.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the settings on the right half of IR.EXE general tab? In an extender those only set initial values used only up to the first time you execute a macro that changes them. Some people who want total VPT or total TPT to a single device save a little macro size by setting the initial value there and leaving it out of all macros. It sounds like you don't want it quite that simple, so those settings are basically useless (you will overwrite them with the first device key you press after activating the extender).

Wheelie4 wrote:

you would put an 8 command macro on each device key, for example the TV
device key would have the macro:
DEV_TV; SET_TRANS_KEYS; SET_VOL_KEYS; SET_CHAN_KEYS;
SET_MENU_KEYS; SET_PIP_KEYS; SET_OTHER_KEYS; SET_LCD

If you wanted to duplicate the unextended HT mode, you need nearly twice that many commands in the macro for that key. For each different mode that contributes to HT mode you need the DEV_ command followed by the SET command(s) for the keyset it contributes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
I decided to start fresh. I created a new IR file using the 8910/9910 extender 1. I ran ExtInstall. When I started adding my Upgrades I ran in to a problem. Upgrade Overflow while adding my 9th and final upgrade device. Says I must remove some upgrade devices or protocols. Sad

I sure wish our IR.EXE developers had had time to add the often requested feature of letting upgrades safely overflow into other areas.

Pending that, you could send the whole mess to me again and I'll figure out the cleanest way to shrink things. I'd want the file saved by IR.EXE (with as much as fit before it complained), plus the upgrade files saved by KM or RM (I forget which you use).

There are a bunch of ways to squeeze things without compromising the desired behavior. I need a feel for the whole before I can guess which way is best.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I think we wre posting at same time I edited my last post. Sure I can zip and send that info. Smile

Update
I included a readme to when the upgrade warning occured what what I have left to edit.

Last edited by Wheelie4 on Tue May 25, 2004 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

These 3 protocols I don't think I need that I'm aware of. Is it safe to remove these?

They're not directly required by the extender (I assume the extender's documentation tells you which ones are, but I haven't checked). So if you don't plan to define KeyMoves that use them, you don't need them.

If you remove one of the protocol upgrades for any such special protocol, you might as well also remove the device upgrade that provides access to the protocol upgrade.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry johnsfine. I had 2 devices left to add, not one. I removed these 3 Devices and Protocols that ExtInstall added and I was able to add all my devives, add my DevToggle keymove and edit my macros the way I want them.

MISC/1106, protocol 1F9 = Long/Double Key Press
MISC/1107, protocol 1F8 = Custom Mode Name
MISC/1800, protocol 181 = ToadTog
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
I removed these 3 Devices and Protocols that ExtInstall added and I was able to add all my devives, add my DevToggle keymove and edit my macros the way I want them.

It sounds like you don't actually need my help at this point (which is good because I don't see anything in your files that I can significantly improve upon).
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sounds like you don't actually need my help at this point (which is good because I don't see anything in your files that I can significantly improve upon).

LOL, now that's a hilarious statement. My remote is scheduled to be delivered Friday. We'll see then just how bad I've actually done because I'm getting an odd feeling I'll might, jus might need the Toadtog upgrades I removed. Very Happy
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more questions I'm confused about.

1. With the Extender installed am I correct in thinking I loose the ability to learn from another remote?

2. With the Extender installed are the M1-3 and L1-4 keys unique (can have different codes) for the devices they are assigned to in device macro keymoves? Or are they global.

Because I still have 3 buttons to learn from another remote unless I can find the info and use device combiner (couldn't find device cmbiner on yahoo).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

1. With the Extender installed am I correct in thinking I loose the ability to learn from another remote?

Right. You can't use signals in learned form, nor lear new ones while the extender is active. The suggested method is:
1) deactive the extender
2) Learn new signals
3) download to IR.exe
4) decode the signals and decide how to convert to KeyMoves or parts of upgrades
5) Open a saved copy of your eeprom image file matching what was in the remote before step 1.
6) Edit it to do whatever you decided in step 4.
7) Remember to save it again
8) Upload to the remote.

It sounds like a lot, but I assume you don't run into functions you forgot to learn very often.

Wheelie4 wrote:

2. With the Extender installed are the M1-3 and L1-4 keys unique (can have different codes) for the devices they are assigned to in device macro keymoves? Or are they global.

Those keys (pretty much ALL keys) are "ordinary" keys in the extender. If you define a macro on the key it is global. If you define a KeyMove on the key it is local (to the device mode it's bound in).

Wheelie4 wrote:

Because I still have 3 buttons to learn from another remote unless I can find the info and use device combiner (couldn't find device cmbiner on yahoo).

What three buttons of which original device? I probably have them somewhere.

Don't use the device combiner for just 3 buttons. Use KeyMoves.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What three buttons of which original device? I probably have them somewhere.

Well, I bought a UHF/VHF antenna to put ontop of my TV to use with my High Def receiver. It has IR learning capability allowing be remote controlled (Power, Left, Right). It didn't come with a remote, it will learn from any IR remote. I used IR signals from my old (broken) Toshiba DST-3000 HD receiver. I used DecodeCCF to decode the pronto .ccf that has the codes. Their Protocol = NEC1. I figured using the Protocol and OBC I could create an upgrade device, add it to my IR file in IR, add a keymove or Devtoggle Or combine it with my HD receiver device upgrade.

Code:

Protocol    Device  SubDev  OBC     EFC   Decode  Function     Key     Panel   DevName
NEC1        12      251     21      120                        Power   panel   Ant
NEC1        12      251     20      116                        L       panel   Ant
NEC1        12      251     23      122                        R       panel   Ant

johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an upgrade device, just three KeyMoves.

A KeyMove can be based on any setup code in the remote, even if that setup code isn't assigned to any device key.

NEC1:12.251 is setup code SAT/0749 (It is also SAT/0819) so you can add the three KeyMoves using either of those setup codes.

The KeyMove is easiest to define in IR.EXE.

You could use the external functions feature of RM or KM, but that is intended for functions that are understood by the actual device covered by the upgrade (that happen to be more easily achieved by external KeyMoves than by command within the main upgrade). The simple way to ask that question is "would someone else with the same single device want that function?"

If the function is desired in a specific Device mode because of the way you coordinate the use of two devices, rather than because it is actually to the main device of that mode, its KeyMove logically ought to be defined in IR rather than in RM or KM.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your saying I can simply open my extended IR file in IR, add 3 keymoves to the device mode I want them to be associated to?

Example:
SAT | L1 | = | <N/A> | SAT | 0749 | 120(efc)

Last edited by Wheelie4 on Wed May 26, 2004 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
So your saying I can simply open my extended IR file in IR, in General tab add 0749 or 0819 to an empty logical device. Then add 3 keymoves to the device mode I want them to be associated to?

No.

The setup code used by a keymove does not have to be assigned to a device key. It just needs to be present in the remote.

Got the the "Key Moves" tab.
Click Add.
Select the device and key you want the key move bound to. This is the device/key you use on the remote to send the signal you want.
In the "Device Type:" field, select SAT (or it may be CBL/SAT).
Enter 0749 or 0819 in the "Setup Code:" field.
Now enter the appropriate EFC.

Done.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: