JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advent TV Killed by code search on urc-7800
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgr81

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshiba HD RPTV also have a certain code that resets the eeprom (EFC 093 on device 0156, I think). Over on the DigitalHomeCanada forum there is Toshiba board that thas some threads regarding some people that tried this either through the service menu or through the special remote for service.

It's seems that they should safeguard that somewhat, but then again, we are delving into areas not intended for users that do not have the technical information available to them.

Bye for now
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimenting with EFCs that aren't on the original remote is one thing, you know the risks going in, but this case is completely different. Advent decided to re-use a Philips TV code and they then went and picked an EFC to be their master reset code that just happens to be a regular button code for the Philips code. So regular OFA remote users would stumble across the TV/0054 code by doing a code search, and then when they press whatever button it is that has the reset EFC code on it, they're in trouble. The same thing would happen if they were to use the original Philips TV remote on their Advent TV.

The manufacturer is definitely at fault here and I totally agree with John that's it's shameful that they carge people money to fix their mistake.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - I finally got my Advent back from the shop, over 3 months later and after not one but TWO factory replacements of the internal eeprom and micro chips (Advent messed up the first batch, supposedly a nation-wide Advent major dilemma, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

On the bright side, the upgrade you created for this TV works great, the missing 'sleep' function is OBC = 038, EFC = 241.

However, between this RC5 device, and my combo Philips DVD/VCR using RC5/RC6, my macros are just about useless, especially with my Bose wave which obviously nobody believes me is majorly affected by those toggle bits. Back to the drawing board, I guess.... Can't someone figure out how to get rid of those stinking toggle bits?!?!?

But thanks for the help, anyway.

Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you start a new thread explaining what problems you are having with the toggle bits and we'll see if we can come up with a solution.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Rob.

I already explained my dilemma (my LAST dilemma) over at the Bose macro help needed topic and got no replies. Not sure if the consensus is that I did something wrong, which I am relatively sure I did not, since I was able to get very predictable results in changing my configurations from working to not working (and vice-versa) by just adding (and deleting to re-confirm) simple keystrokes in my macros - or that nobody has such a tiny system as mine and therefore nobody has a bose wave and therefore nobody is able to verify what I am seeing. Whatever the case, I WAS able to get a very reliable setup by just adding a few non-functional RC5 commands at various places in my macros and keymove-defined LKP macros.

Different story now with my Advent TV back in the lineup.

Here's my latest dilemma, with the Advent TV back in the picture: Can you supply any suggestions as to why this macro DOES select channel 3 on my TV every time:

Dev_TV;0;3

And this one NEVER does???:

Dev_TV;Shift_power;0;3

It sees the zero but not the 3, every time. (Also my Fav/scan macro always works, which obviously has no delays in it whatsoever, since AFAIK there is no way to add any type of delay in a fav/scan macro.) I've been working on this with adding delays at every imaginable point directly in the macro, and via using the device combiner to extend the signal durations themselves for about 2 hours now and have gotten NOWHERE, so any advice at this point would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'm about ready to throw in the towel with this whole setup.

Thx in advance???
TBone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I also tried the following and it STILL did not see the '3':

(macro 1)= Dev_TV;0;Shift-3

(Shift3) = Dev_TV;3

Tbone
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
Dev_TV;Shift_power;0;3

It sees the zero but not the 3, every time.

Just a random thought... have you tried something like:

Dev_TV;Shift_power;0;0;3

The thinking being that it might not see the 2nd '0' but will then see the '3'.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I finally figured this one out - I had a custom key name defined to Shift-3 as a key move which was evidently over-riding anything on the '3' key. Redefining that key move took care of this problem.

One problem down, hopefully not too many more to go.....

Thx,
Tbone
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: