JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dish PVR/DVR and 811 Tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note. Unless you changed something in Dish after 8.25, even if he does the OBC/EFC swap correctly in the functions tab, Pete will need to use unit 2 not 3. Basically, for Mark's benefit the bottom bits in hex go in order (units 1 to 4) 00,01,10,11. They should be 00,10,01,11 since the Unit is LSB first but the OBC is MSB first.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
use unit 2 not 3

IIUC, the Dish Network protocol variant in the 7800 doesn't support a Unit Code (it only uses 1 byte of fixed data for the Device), even though KM shows the input cell.

Quote:
the bottom bits in hex go in order (units 1 to 4) 00,01,10,11. They should be 00,10,01,11 since the Unit is LSB first but the OBC is MSB first.

This depends on which variant of the protocol is being used, doesn't it?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
jon_armstrong wrote:
use unit 2 not 3

IIUC, the Dish Network protocol variant in the 7800 doesn't support a Unit Code (it only uses 1 byte of fixed data for the Device), even though KM shows the input cell.

No, IIRC all variants of $002 support Unit codes, the earliest version of $0002 has one fixed and one variable byte for 16 bits. The variable byte is read first. Variable Bits 7,6,5,4,3,2 are OBC 5,4,3,2,1,0. Variable Bits 1 and 0 are sub-device 0 and 1. Fixed bits 7,6, and 5 are sub-device 2,3, and 4. Fixed Bits 4,3,2,1, and 0 are Device code bits 0,1,2,3, and 4. Note that OBC is MSB first and Unit and device are LSB first. Sub-device+1=Unit

Quote:
the bottom bits in hex go in order (units 1 to 4) 00,01,10,11. They should be 00,10,01,11 since the Unit is LSB first but the OBC is MSB first.

This depends on which variant of the protocol is being used, doesn't it?[/quote]

Yes, it only maters in the oldest $0002 variant. Those bits are ignored in the two fixed byte and 5 fixed byte versions of $0002. Did we ever figure out how to make something like a universe of 39 IR commands really complicated with some help from UEIC, or what? Smile
planopete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: 510 and 811 with a cinema 7 Reply with quote

Well, I changed a couple of things and it now works. First I used the Swap OBC/EFC on the function page and I changed the Unit code to 2 on the setup page. I am still not sure why 2 works, since the remote address for the 811 is 3, I tried to make it 2 but it wouldn't not take so I went to 3.
Thanks for all the help, I will now try to get a little fancy with some macros.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon -- if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the subdevice is 5 bits. KM currently assumes 4 bits, so I want to make sure we've got it correct before Mark makes any changes.
jon_armstrong wrote:
Variable Bits 1 and 0 are sub-device 0 and 1. Fixed bits 7,6, and 5 are sub-device 2,3, and 4.
jon_armstrong wrote:
Did we ever figure out how to make something like a universe of 39 IR commands really complicated with some help from UEIC, or what? Smile
Mission accomplished! Razz
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Jon -- if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the sub device is 5 bits. KM currently assumes 4 bits, so I want to make sure we've got it correct before Mark makes any changes.

Yes it is. I'm not sure that the dish owner's manuals shows anything more than 16 remote addresses, but when the first Dish discrete power commands surfaced they had S=31 and that acted as an all units command. It is my understanding that those commands came from Dish rather than reverse engineering. I think there was some other confirmation but I don't remember what it was. Most importantly, it's how DecodeIR.dll returns the code. Again, S+1=Remote address.

|000001 00|001 10000|

where "|" is a byte barrier (the first byte being variable) and the space illustrates the separation from left to right OBC, Sub-device, and Device.

This would be OBC=1, Sub-device=16, Device=1
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Need KM file for Dish receiver using alternate remote code Reply with quote

Currently I have 2 receivers in the same room and have changed one to (arbitrarily) code 11. I learned some keys with my 8810W but I can't seem to get them translated into a working UG code with KM.

I am a novice at this, so if someone has something going for a Disk 5xx on ANY other remote code, would you mind sharing it with me? (Maybe in the file section i.e. as DishXXXCodeXX.txt.)

Thanks!
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you post your file saved in IR with your learned commands and post a link (after reading the sticky post on how to post links to JP1 Yahoo group.)

The solution is simple, but I can give you a much shorter answer once I see the learned commands.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalmartDS

Aux1 - guide
2-Cancel
3-Recall
4-enter

CD1 - <
2->
3-uparrow
4-downarrow

REC/AMP1 - Skip -10
2-skip+30
3-PVR
4-pause

Cable1-system menu
2-power
3-info
4-stop

VCR1 >>
2- <<
3-record
4-play

SAT1-page up
2-pagedown
3-key3
4-key4
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the upgrade here. I didn't have time to test it. You must copy both the device and protocol upgrade from KM into IR.

BTW, you need to delete your existing SAT/1775 before adding this device upgrade with the same number. If your other Dish unit uses the upgrade SAT/1775 in your remote, then assign a new setup code in KM.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Get "Invalid character in input (-1)" Reply with quote

When I take the same file I gave you, open it in IR 5.12 then open the file you gave me in KM 8.27, then cut and paste from KM to IR 5.12 then when I try to close, it says "Invalid character in input". ????
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Get "Invalid character in input (-1)" Reply with quote

donphillipe wrote:
it says "Invalid character in input".

How did you copy the data from KM? Did you use the [Copy] button or did you manually select the upgrade code? If you did it manually, make sure you select the entire block from "Upgrade Code 0..." to the end including "End".
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Still have problem Reply with quote

You are correct, my mistake. I copied and pasted all the text from KM to IR and it works now. I tried out the code but still it caused a couple of problems.

I currently have PVR 1 which uses the default remote code (#1) and PVR 2 which has been altered to use Remote Code #11. I have the 8810 remote and I have been previously using an upgrade code to enable SAT using a slightly altered 1775 I got off the JP1 remote files section.

The KM file I received in your link had a device type of PVR and a code of 1775. Not wanting to cause a conflict with my existing PVR 1 control, using 1775 on SAT, I used KM to change the code you sent me from PVR/1775 to CABLE/1776. I then copied it from KM 8.27 to IR 5.12. It appeared to add properly and when IR asked where to assign the upgrade, I selected CABLE. (PVR 1 is on SAT, want to add PVR 2 to CABLE.)

Now off to test the remote. PVR 2 would not respond to the Guide or Power Off or any other button I tried, so I decided to try my unchanged other devices. However, now, using SAT to send PVR 1 commands bagan to fail. (PVR 1 would appear to lock up and stop responding to commands after the first 2 or 3 were sent.) This is with no changes to the 1775 attached to SAT so I don't know how adding a 1776 to CABLE could have caused problems with 1775 SAT????????

I loaded my last saved image and my remotes works OK (on PVR1, that is).

THANKS!!!
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Making progress Reply with quote

Another mistake, I think most of the keys were not customized yet within the upgrade you sent. I used KM and changed all the keys to what I had seen in my learned remote code list. I assumed the value for "OV" was equal to device code (0 or 1 as seen from the device column in IR) and that I should enter the same EFC that I saw in the learned fields???

Anyway, the good news is that PVR 2 responds to some of the keys now on CABLE, and PVR 1 appears to no longer hang up from SAT. The only problem now is the key mapping is totally out of sync with what the learned keys have shown, that is, assuming my guess of Device=OV and EFC=EFC is true as the way I should program your "manual" example upgrade.

THANKS!
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be missing a concept here. Functions in the functions tab are the real functions. In the BUTTONS tab, you map functions to physical buttons. An example would be the function "discrete off". If you want to assign that to the Mute key, then in the "pull down" menu in column C adjacent to Mute, select "power off". Hence, the Buttons tab allows each individual user to put any command on almost any button including shifted buttons. In theory the functions tab has every available function and if initially correct would never be changed.

You also don't have to worry about a "conflict" in the device type. Every device can be set up as a PVR, you just need to make that same selection in IR when you assign the setup code in the general tab. All the device type does is pre-select the keys that can be assigned directly in an upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: