JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Position vacant: RDF Librarian
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Position vacant: RDF Librarian Reply with quote

Our previous caretakers for the RDFs have gone on a permanent European vacation, so we're looking for a new one.

If you check the RDF folder, there are a ton of RDFs that have been created since the last time the master zip file was updated, so we really need someone to gather them all up and update the zip file. Same story for the maps and images, as they all need to be kept in sync.

I'll let the others define how best to approach this, but for now I'm just looking for a volunteer.

Thanks,
Rob
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... This would entail something like:

1. Becoming (more) familiar with the RDF file
2. Reviewing new RDFs and running them through vicky's checker tool
3. Keeping the zip file up-to-date
4. Responding to PM requests to update/check an RDF in a reasonable amount of time (a week?)

If that is all there is to it, I will volunteer - it is the least I can do for all the fun I have had with y'alls work.

I know I go absent for multi-months(years?) at a time - but I lurk well.

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xnapo thankyou so much!

The state of the RDF's has really been bothering me.

There are two areas where the RDFAnalysis tool has brought up boatloads of errors.

1) the Protocols section. About 30% of the RDFs have bad variant information in the Protocols section.

2) File Names Case sensitivity. There is a pretty large list of files where the filenames have in the RDF aren't in the same Case as the files on disk. In the Linux environment the files are case-sensitive, so even though things look great in Windows, those users in Linux don't see nearly as many images and maps as the rest of us do.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Assuming I get the job Smile

I will get started this weekend. I have a Linux remote environment set up so I can test that stuff. Also I am pretty good with VB/VBA so I should be able to help with the analysis tool.

I would also move them into the controlremote cvs repository and establish a procedure for maintenance should I ... take a permanent European vacation or something.

xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, yoo da man!!! Thanks a lot.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xnappo, while welcoming your appointment Very Happy I think you should get in touch with WagonMaster (Bill Marr), who started on this task and put considerable effort into it. See this thread. He became unable to spend the time that it needed and offered to step down - see the last post in that thread. I think it was a much more arduous task than he realised when he volunteered. But it would be a pity to lose all the work he put into it. I am sure he has much that he could hand over to you, and you wouldn't be treading on his toes as he has offered to step down.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I will read through that thread and send him a PM to get up to speed. I definitely am not going to have time to do a complete revamp of all the RDFs or anything - but I will be able to get them centralized and establish a way to fix issues as they come up.

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo, I saw in another post that you were going to be moving RDF's to source forge.
xnappo wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere I am going to move the RDFs there too - really the best way to handle this sort of thing. So I will document what you need to do to get up and running as I do it(though I may end up bugging you Greg if I get stuck - it has been a long time since I have done it too).

xnappo

I didn't want to hi-jack Gregg's t thread but I wanted to get some insight as to what that means for me, the average joe? My only concern here is where will I find the latest RDF's between releases. As you know its been some 2 years since our last update so I just want to make sure I understand the process.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, you are definitely not the average joe!
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I didn't want to hi-jack Gregg's t thread but I wanted to get some insight as to what that means for me, the average joe? My only concern here is where will I find the latest RDF's between releases. As you know its been some 2 years since our last update so I just want to make sure I understand the process.

Well by moving it to sourceforge it will be much easier to keep track of when there is any issue/update and to build a new zip file. I should also be able to pull down all updates people have made, automate running your checking tool, and then tag the RDF as reviewed.

If you just want to grab an RDF, you would just go to a link like this:
http://controlremote.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/controlremote/
and download it - so that is easy.

If you want to submit an RDF for review, it will be slightly more complex - less so though if Greg moves to the SVN system.

Of course the forum file area can still be used to develop the RDF, but for 'official' status I will want it checked in to SourceForge. I don't mind doing the check-in for people some of the time, but would appreciate people learning to do it themselves.

This is basically just what I am thinking now though! Subject to change...

xnappo
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, please can we keep at least a copy of the current RDF library, even if it is not the master copy, where it currently is in our file section. I don't think I'm the average joe either, but Sourceforge is a mystery to me. I want users, including me, to be able to post a new RDF as easily as I can now, without needing to delve into this mystery. My only contact with Sourceforge is the unavoidable one I have when getting the latest RM. I would like to keep it that way. It really will put users off from posting new/updated RDFs if they have to jump through hoops to do so, as in: "I don't mind doing the check-in for people some of the time, but would appreciate people learning to do it themselves."
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Please, please, please can we keep at least a copy of the current RDF library, even if it is not the master copy, where it currently is in our file section. I don't think I'm the average joe either, but Sourceforge is a mystery to me. I want users, including me, to be able to post a new RDF as easily as I can now, without needing to delve into this mystery. My only contact with Sourceforge is the unavoidable one I have when getting the latest RM. I would like to keep it that way. It really will put users off from posting new/updated RDFs if they have to jump through hoops to do so, as in: "I don't mind doing the check-in for people some of the time, but would appreciate people learning to do it themselves."

Downloading the zip file will be simple - I promise.

Users can still use the file area here to develop the new RDFs just like now. I agree it is much easier while they are being developed.

In order to get into the official zip file though, it will have to be on the SourceForge site - it is the only sane way to maintain that much data. As I said, I will do that if asked, but will also post instructions on how to do it. If we switch to SVN it is very easy.

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just concerned with finding the Latest and greatest RDF. I'm running on a slow internet connection and so many problems are caused by not having the latest and greatest RDF and so many of the latest and greatest RDF's have problems.

RM has a lot of uneccessary problems with protocols because of bad variant information. There are 107 OFFICIAL RDF's with at least one incorrect protocol:variant. So anytime a user tries to create an upgrade that happens to hit on that protocol/that remote they will have errors that they are unable to correct without intervention.

I've thought of correcting and submitting them to the RDF area myself, but decided that seeing a list that long nobody would be willing to take on the job. Rolling Eyes

So at source forge is it just going to be the official zips, with notifications of updates in the forum?

xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I am just concerned with finding the Latest and greatest RDF. I'm running on a slow internet connection and so many problems are caused by not having the latest and greatest RDF and so many of the latest and greatest RDF's have problems.
[...]
So at source forge is it just going to be the official zips, with notifications of updates in the fourm?

The sourceforge repository will contain both the latest zip file AND the official RDFs. The file section here will only be used as a debug/development area.

If we move the RDFs/protocols.ini all over, then the 'developers' can get the latest RM, latest RDFs and latest protocols.ini with two mouse clicks...

Again - just what I am thinking now - I need to play with this some and will of course seek input once I get something going.

xnappo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: