JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Okay, dumb question about universal remotes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Okay, dumb question about universal remotes... Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie, but learning! But I have a general "dumb" question about universal remotes (in general) that has me curious.

Why is it that almost all universal remotes have all the keys to operate a DVD or VCR, yet do not have an "eject" button? This seems like such an obvious key to have on a universal remote.

I know the new Sony models have added one, but it seems like it would make life so much easier to have a readily identified button on the remote.

Just wondering why the manufacturers did this...
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the devices have an eject button on the device itself and most people use the eject feature when they are physically at the device (often without the remote) to be able to physically take the ejected media.

Especially on a VCR, where the remote couldn't undo an accidental press of eject, it may be harmful to have an eject button on the remote. In most cases, if not harmful it is at least redundant.

That said, I personally prefer having an eject function on the remote (though I also prefer having it always be shift stop rather than having its own button). Of course I don't think I am anywhere near the center of the customer group for which the manufacturers try to design the remotes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to offer an opinion on this. I think that there is a point where the number of buttons on a remote is actually a turn off to consumers. I'm sure market research would prove me out. In my own experience when I offer to give ordinary users a remote, they always pick the remote with the fewest number of buttons.

So when a manufacturer is considering which buttons they actually need, the eject/open/close button would probably seem like a candidate for rejection since the user needs to be at the unit to gather up the media anyway.

Now having said that, I own Sony DVRs which take almost 2 minutes to eject a disc! So like you, I really want that button on my remote. Since I'm customizing my remote I include the Open/Close button. I tried to find a button that "makes sense". I wanted to use "shift-stop", but since I needed seperate stops for stop-playing and stop-recording, I was already using shift-stop. I settled on my second choice shift-exit.

Edit, when I got around to hitting submit, I see that John found shift-stop to make sense also. Smile Its kind of saying REALLY REALLY STOP.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jeajea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the LG electronics agrees with Vicky. On some of their high end TVs they include a remote that has all the buttons and second “simple” remote that only has

Code:
Power
Input
Volume up/down
Mute
Channel up/down
Numbers
-
Flashback (previous channel)

All my universal remotes have (PIP) SWAP so I use SWAP for open/close/eject. My standard for ZOOM on devices that support it is PIP CH+ for the Atlas OCAP and RCA RCRP05B remotes. On the 8820/10820 I use format for ZOOM. My intent is that the same button will perform the same function on any device that supports.

I only use shifted keys for things that I don’t want to change by accident such as device multiplexer.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great insight and comments, I'm learning more and more.

Myself, I program the "PIP" and "DVR" buttons for these functions. The problem is "teaching" the family to remember which button it it. I have programmed macros to open the trays (when switching from TV to DVD or VCR, and back). But....there is always a case where someone wants to switch, etc.

I just find it very curious that 4-5 buttons would be given to a "PIP" function, which seems less used than a DVD/VCR function. It seems to make more sense to have the most commonly used buttons on all universals...

I'm getting ready to post my next "curiosity question" of how many remotes everyone has in their home. I just took an inventory and realized that I have over 40 remotes in the house!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always setup an LKP on "Stop". Short press="Stop" while Long press="eject" or "open" for those devices that support it.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I always setup an LKP on "Stop". Short press="Stop" while Long press="eject" or "open" for those devices that support it.

Now that is a good idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: