JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujitsu TV On/Off problem w/ 2116
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu TV On/Off problem w/ 2116 Reply with quote

Hi - True beginner here.

I have a Fujitsu plasma TV. With an RS-2116 I can get most of the functions to work using the built-in Fujitsu TV device, but the on/off key only turns the TV off. I can't turn it on with the button.

The 2116 correctly learns the on/off code from the Fujitsu remote but, alas, not onto the Power button.

Furthermore, using IR to determine the protocol/code tells me it's a Fujitsu protocol, which KM apparently doesn't support. How might I proceed with this to get a properly working power button?

Relevant Info:

Built in setup code: 0683 (RS-2116)

Learned Code info from IR:
Protocol = Fujitsu Dev=112 OBC=0 Hex=FF EFC=181

The learned code starts with (+3280 -1630), then repeats (+420 -404) with an occasional (-1228) thrown in.

Thanks,

Jay (chico_woodhill)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KM, I believe that the Sharp DVD protocol is the same as Fujitsui.

However, for just that single command, you can create a key move in IR.

Bound Dev = TV
Bound key = Power
Device Type = TV
Setup Code = 0683
EFC/Hex Cmd = DF 78 (Hex Cmd radio button selected)
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck.

I created the the key move in IR, but the power key has no effect on the TV.

I also tried using the Sharp DVD protocol (stored code 0630) but none of the keys have any effect on my Fujitsu TV (PDS4203).

Any ideas?

May I ask how you got the EFC/Hex Cmd = DF 78? Was it from the info I posted or from a separate source? How does that relate to the learned data stream as viewed in IR?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chico,
I would recommend that you try hex code "DE FF" for the "Power" function, and "DE 7F" for the "Power On" discrete code. Just FYI, the hex code assigned to the power button is "DE BF" which is obviously the discrete off code.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I'm out of town right now but I'll try it when I get back.

Jay (Chico)
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would recommend that you try hex code "DE FF" for the "Power" function, and "DE 7F" for the "Power On" discrete code. Just FYI, the hex code assigned to the power button is "DE BF" which is obviously the discrete off code.

Hey Rob, it worked! ("DE FF", that is.) Now for the hard part: I need you to explain why.

1) The 2116 Fujitsu TV stored code POWER key only turned the TV off, not on. Do you think they mistakenly programmed "discrete off" to the POWER key in the firmware?

2) Is there any way to figure out exactly what code is sent from the POWER button when I use the pre-programmed Fujitsu TV code 0683? Could I use IR to see what code they put on the power key? Or any other key, for that matter...

3) Where did you find the codes you recommended that I use?

4) How does the learned command sequence I recorded and then viewed in IR relate to the codes you suggested? (Learned sequence as viewed in IR: Protocol = Fujitsu Dev=112 OBC=0 Hex=FF EFC=181. The learned code starts with (+3280 -1630), then repeats (+420 -404) with an occasional (-1228) thrown in.

5) In his response (above), Mark Pierson suggested that I use the code:

Quote:

That code didn't work. I asked where he got that code but didn't get a response from him. Was he incorrect or am I missing something else?

Thanks....

Chico
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:
Quote:

Hey Rob, it worked! ("DE FF", that is.) Now for the hard part: I need you to explain why.

1) The 2116 Fujitsu TV stored code POWER key only turned the TV off, not on. Do you think they mistakenly programmed "discrete off" to the POWER key in the firmware?

It wouldn't be the first time Smile
chico_woodhill wrote:

2) Is there any way to figure out exactly what code is sent from the POWER button when I use the pre-programmed Fujitsu TV code 0683? Could I use IR to see what code they put on the power key? Or any other key, for that matter...

No, built in devices are stored in ROM and IR doesn't have access to them. But if you get two JP1 remotes you can learn from one to the other and then look in the "learned signals" tab in IR to see what exactly is being sent.
chico_woodhill wrote:

3) Where did you find the codes you recommended that I use?

4) How does the learned command sequence I recorded and then viewed in IR relate to the codes you suggested? (Learned sequence as viewed in IR: Protocol = Fujitsu Dev=112 OBC=0 Hex=FF EFC=181. The learned code starts with (+3280 -1630), then repeats (+420 -404) with an occasional (-1228) thrown in.

If you want to read about decoding learned signals, click here
chico_woodhill wrote:

5) In his response (above), Mark Pierson suggested that I use the code:

Quote:

That code didn't work. I asked where he got that code but didn't get a response from him. Was he incorrect or am I missing something else?

Thanks....

Chico
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:

Do you know how to do the KeyMovr function on the remote itself? Use that to copy the Power Key's built in meaning from TV/0683 to either a different key or a different device mode. Then download to IR.EXE and look at the KeyMove it created.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:

Well, in your original post you quoted the output displayed when you learned the signal, and it showed the OBC as being 0, with the hex code being 'FF' (the signal is LSB-COMP). Next, I looked at the hex codes actually programmed to the buttons for TV/0683 (as I had them in a file somewhere) and I noticed that the first byte was always the same (hex value 'DE') and the second byte changes based on the button pressed. The code assigned to the POWER button was obviously OBC=2, so all I did was use the fixed 'DE' hex code for the first byte and use the 'FF' code you posted for the second byte.

chico_woodhill wrote:
5) In his response (above), Mark Pierson suggested that I use the code: EFC/Hex Cmd = DF 78 (Hex Cmd radio button selected)

OK, here's where it's going to get confusing. There are two concepts here that you need to understand, the first is "IR protocols" and the second is "UEI Executors". Normally, these are one in the same, in other words, for each infrared protocol out there there's a corresponding UEI executor that generates the right signals.

In this case, however, the relevant UEI protocol (ie, $00F8) can be used to generate more than one IR protocol, because the IR protocols are similar but different. The $00F8 executor can also be used to generate "Sharp DVD" signals, however the format of the 2 variable bytes is different. For Sharp signals, the first variable byte is the "OBC" byte and the second byte is a checksum (derived by XORing certain OBC bits together). For the Fujitsu signal, the second byte is the "OBC" byte and the first byte appears to be a unit code of some sort.

What Mark did was try to generate the correct hex code using KM with the "Sharp DVD" selected, which obviously generated the wrong code.

Now I bet you're sorry you asked, right! Smile
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!
Quote:
No, built in devices are stored in ROM and IR doesn't have access to them. But if you get two JP1 remotes you can learn from one to the other and then look in the "learned signals" tab in IR to see what exactly is being sent.

Quote:
Do you know how to do the KeyMovr function on the remote itself? Use that to copy the Power Key's built in meaning from TV/0683 to either a different key or a different device mode. Then download to IR.EXE and look at the KeyMove it created.

Yup, I understand both of the methods described above. Thanks.

Quote:
Well, in your original post you quoted the output displayed when you learned the signal, and it showed the OBC as being 0, with the hex code being 'FF' (the signal is LSB-COMP)... <SNIP> ...The code assigned to the POWER button was obviously OBC=2, so all I did was use the fixed 'DE' hex code for the first byte and use the 'FF' code you posted for the second byte.

Rob, I understood most of your post, but when you say (above) "the Power button was obviously OBC=2", it's not obvious to me. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Also, if the original remote is sending $DE as the first byte, wouldn't that be revealed in the IR learned code readout? I don't see that.

I'm going to go back through the archives and read about decoding IR's display of learned codes. But any comments about this particular one would be appreciated.

Again, thanks to all who replied. My consternation is definitely lessened... Confused
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico_woodhill wrote:
Rob, I understood most of your post, but when you say (above) "the Power button was obviously OBC=2", it's not obvious to me. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, if you're gonna be getting down and dirty with JP1, you're going to have to learn to read hexidecimal and binary. You're also going to have to familiarize yourself with what the terms LSB, MSB and COMP mean.

In this case, the signal is LSB-COMP. The "COMP" part means that when you look at the signal in binary form, the 1s and 0s are reversed. The "LSB" part means that you read the binary from the left, which is the opposite of how you would normally read binary. Therefore, here's a sampling of OBCs for this protocol in both binary and hex forms:

OBC _Binary_ Hex
000 11111111 FF
001 01111111 7F
002 10111111 BF
003 00111111 3F

chico_woodhill wrote:
Also, if the original remote is sending $DE as the first byte, wouldn't that be revealed in the IR learned code readout? I don't see that.

I can't really answer that because I'm not familiar with the Fujitsu protocol. I assume it's a variation of the Kaseikyo protocol (the best known variation being the "Panasonic" protocol).

If I get a chance, I will look it up and see what the format it, but one of the Johns will probably be able to answer that quicker.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I did some research and found this thread where Jon defines the Fujitsu format, as follows:

{38k,400}<1,-1|1,-3>(8,-4,20:8,99:8,0:8,D:8,S:8,F:8,1,-110)+

Breaking out the important parts, we get...

20:8, (which in LSB-COMP hex is D7)
99:8, (which in LSB-COMP hex is 39)
0:8, (which in LSB-COMP hex is FF)
D:8,
S:8,
F:8

The fixed data for the TV/0683 code is "03 D7 39 FF DE". The first byte is a control parm used by the executor can can be ignored for this example. As you can see the next 3 bytes of the fixed data matches the first three parts of the Fujitsu protocol as defined by Jon.

The next 2 bytes of Fujitsu are the device and sub-device codes. The device code is part of the fixed data, and is hex value DE (decimal 132), and the unit code is the 1st byte of the variable data, and is also DE.

So, based on this, I would have expected the learned signals to be displayed in IR.exe as using the Fujitsu protocol, with a device code of 132 and a sub-device code of 132. Whereas what you found was device 112 and no sub-device, which doesn't jive with the data. So, either you made a typo or there's a problem with DecodeIR.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, plenty to digest here!

I already speak hex and binary and did assembly programming in the 70's and 80's, so I have the background (hopefully) to grasp this. But it's the little bits and pieces that only come together only after multiple questions and answers that cause the whole picture to start to coalesce.

Thanks for the responses. I'll sit down with a piece of paper and my hex calculator and try to figure out what you've all told me. Apologies in advance for the inevitable upcoming questions....

Chico
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using a hex calculator, I would recommend using Excel.

To convert a decimal number (in cell A1) into binary, you would enter

=DEC2BIN(A1,8)

Let's say that the protocol in question is LSB, you will want to reverse the order of those binary bits, which you can do like this...

=mid(b1,8,1)&mid(b1,7,1)&mid(b1,6,1)&mid(b1,5,1)&mid(b1,4,1)&mid(b1,3,1)&mid(b1,2,1)&mid(b1,1,1)

Now, if you want to convert that binary string back into hex, you'd do this...

=bin2hex(c1,2)

If the protocol is LSB-COMP, you should comp the decimal number by subtracting it from 255 before you convert it to binary, like this...

=DEC2BIN(255-A1,8)

If you find yourself looking at a bunch of hex codes for buttons and you have no idea whether the signal is LSB or MSB or whether it's comp'd. Enter the hex code in one column in Excel and in the next column convert it to binary, then look for patterns. It's always a good idea to start with the numeric buttons if possible as these are often in ascending OBC secquence.

Btw, I think this thread has gotten WAY too advanced for the Beginners forum, so I'm gonna move it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

So, based on this, I would have expected the learned signals to be displayed in IR.exe as using the Fujitsu protocol, with a device code of 132 and a sub-device code of 132. Whereas what you found was device 112 and no sub-device, which doesn't jive with the data. So, either you made a typo or there's a problem with DecodeIR.

I can explain the lack of subdevice there.

I forget when/where it was discussed, but the byte after "device" in Fujitsu is always (as far as I recall) equal to "device", so it is probably a check byte, not a subdevice. At the time Fujitsu was added it DecodeIR it seemed less confusing to treat it like the subdevice of NEC (supress display of the subdevice whenever it has the "expected" value).

I don't know the explanation for the 132 vs. 112. I don't think it is a DecodeIR bug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: