JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you speed up macros without an extender?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queeny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, TurboTax is out of the way. And I did indeed stumble onto success with the RCA. After uploading with the upgrade I had to unplug the remote to activate the upgrade and then plug it back in to reload my original setup. Now it operates as you folks have described.

But it doesn't do what I thought it would. You see, I have a Harmony One. As some of you may know, it has limited macro (aka sequence) capability - five buttons per sequence max. That is just too limiting. But there is a totally undocumented work-around. It is possible to put multiple button presses onto one button by learning in what Logitech calls "raw" mode. But you have to be very quick and normally three buttons is about all you can cram on before the window closes, which seems to be about a second. I once got four by tapping the same button rapidly.

So OK, there is another work-around. By putting three buttons on multiple phantom keys, and then using these phantom keys in building a sequence you can create a sequence with fifteen button presses which can be mapped to a real button. But there is a big downside to this. It seems that the remote inserts a pause of about one second between each of these phantom buttons.

In searching around I found some old posts by someone who claimed to be able to send a fourteen button macro from his (unnamed) JP1 remote with extender to his Harmony in under one second. Then I saw this thread and when I saw "CH+=.007s" I thought wow, that is what I need to get my 7-10 button macros zapped to the Harmony while the window is open. But it did not work. The Harmony learned only the first two of the seven commands in a TiVo macro sent by the RCA.

I am still seeing a different pace of sending by the RCA depending on the device. For TiVo it is about 0.4 sec/command while for the TV it is about 1.0 sec/command. This is with the emitter covered. Both are a long way from 0.007s. Did I misinterpret that? If so, what does 0.007s refer to?

So inquiring minds want to know, how did that person manage to get fourteen commands sent in under a second and how can I do the same?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read the immediately preceding post to yours? Please upload your IR file to the diagnosis area and provide a link to it in this thread and somebody will take a look at it to see if (s)he can identify an error in what you have done.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queeny wrote:
OK, TurboTax is out of the way. And I did indeed stumble onto success with the RCA. After uploading with the upgrade I had to unplug the remote to activate the upgrade and then plug it back in to reload my original setup. Now it operates as you folks have described.

Okay, step 1 taken care of!

Quote:

In searching around I found some old posts by someone who claimed to be able to send a fourteen button macro from his (unnamed) JP1 remote with extender to his Harmony in under one second. Then I saw this thread and when I saw "CH+=.007s" I thought wow, that is what I need to get my 7-10 button macros zapped to the Harmony while the window is open. But it did not work. The Harmony learned only the first two of the seven commands in a TiVo macro sent by the RCA.

I am still seeing a different pace of sending by the RCA depending on the device. For TiVo it is about 0.4 sec/command while for the TV it is about 1.0 sec/command. This is with the emitter covered. Both are a long way from 0.007s. Did I misinterpret that? If so, what does 0.007s refer to?

there was a 1/4 second pause between each key processed. Now the time is down to .007 between the keypresses, but you still need to cut down on the duration of the individual signals.
Quote:

So inquiring minds want to know, how did that person manage to get fourteen commands sent in under a second and how can I do the same?

One of the things an extender does, is reduce the time between the keys in a macro. It looks like you've seen that time savings going from .7 to .4 seconds. The other thing it does, is reduces the number of repeats that are sent.

So we can tweak the protocols and eliminate unneccessary repeats, that might help things a little.

Post your IR file in the diagnosis area and post a link here so that someone can see what we can do to shorten the duration of the key presses.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may have been me. I did get a big number in one raw harmony learn using an extended radio shack 15-133. I never really looked for or found an upper limit. I don't know if the 133 extender macros run any faster than the RCA or not, but they do run very fast. I imagine a lot depends on the protocol as well. I guess some signals are longer than others. In my case they were DirecTV commands. The DirecTV receiver can buffer 30 to 40 commands in my experience as fast as you can send them. Over the next several seconds, it unloads it's buffer and performs the functions. On my RCA with fast macros, I get about 8 DirecTV commands per second, IIRC.

I have to ask if these are learned signals you're building your RCA macros with. If so, that's likely your problem. All my RCA macros run very fast for TV, DVR, whatever.

I think one of the problems with harmony raw learns is you can't have any gaps or the remote will think the learn has ended. So whatever you do, you have to fool the harmony into thinking it's one continuous stream of data.

All that being said, I eventually had to abandon that whole effort because they were too unreliable. The problem was the harmony would often repeat the whole learned sequence 2 or 3 times (i.e., I'd often end up sending 30-45 commands unintentionally). I tried re-learning several times and tweaking the repeats without success. So I ended up using 3 sequences for the 15 commands I needed and just pressing 3 buttons.
Queeny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Capn Trips
Yes I read it but the original issue has been resolved as I noted. Since that resolution uncovered another issue the file has been uploaded.

@vickyg2003
I see, the fast macro patch essentially eliminates the time between signals and any further reduction requires a reduction the time each signal takes. I am not hopeful that there is enough fat to be squeezed out to get inside the Harmony window.

Here you go: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8279

@mdavej
Ahh, I checked and indeed it was your post(s) that got me started down this path.

No, these macros are not learned; I programmed them in IR. As you can see I am not getting anywhere near 8/second.

It seems to me that the Harmony closes the raw read window about a second after the first signal is received. If you are not done, the Harmony either tells you to try again or says key detected (but with a truncated stream).

I have not had any of the repeat or reliability issues you mention for the two or three command multi-command keys I have created manually,or even the single four command one. Nor have I had any issues with stringing together three or four of those multi-command keys in a sequence. If it were not for those one second pauses the Harmony throws in I would be content with that kludge. Except for those delays, it works well to expand a sequence from five commands to fifteen.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see one problem right off the bat. Your TV code is still assigned to the fast macro patch. I don't see how your TV macros would work at all. After running the patch once, you can delete the device and protocol and assign your actual TV code again. Go ahead and post the actual TV code you'll be using.

Vicky may be able to work her magic on the protocols and shorten the signals regardless.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the TIVO upgrade on the 10820. In a macro that remote forces 2 repeats. I'm not sure if you are required to have any repeat frames, but even if we tweaked it to have 1 repeat frame, we'd cut 100,000us per key stroke in the macro. If no repeats are required, we'd trim this even further.

If you post the corrected IR, (just update the previous file) I'll look at what is going on in the TV upgrade as well.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Queeny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I realized that I uploaded the wrong file and came back to correct that, only to find that you were ahead of me. Here is the correct file. Again, only the TV and DVR have been set up.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8286
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay we're getting a little off track here, but I can't find the where to split this thread into a meaningful thread.

First off, I've read your macros, and I see that your doing some navigating to turn on and off closed captions. My equipment has to do this with inputs so this is probably necessary, but it might not be. You may have read about discretes in the forum. A discrete is a code that basically gets you where you want to go without having to navigate the menu. I checked our file section and didn't find a discrete for closed caption in any of the upgrades we have on file, however there are some possibilities in the UEI upgrades.

I'd like you to try these to see if anything pops.

Press TV

The point the remote at the tv and see if we can turn on CC with any of these discrete codes. The setup key will be a short press

Setup-0 0 0 4 2
Setup-0 0 1 8 2
Setup-0 0 0 8 4
Setup-0 0 1 2 0
Setup-0 0 2 1 4

Also the DVR code that you are using specifies a CC code. Try the CC button on your remote, and see if that isn't a direct route to the Closed Caption without having to navigate the menu. The EFC is the CC button on the DVR would be 00166.

If these don't work we're going to try a shortened signal, that only sends 1 repeat. The trick is that we need to get enough space between the frames to make Left, Left work, and not be thought of as one Left.

Paste this upgrade into the Protocols Tab
Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 A4 (S3C8+) QUEENIES MITSUBISHI (PB v4.01)
47 A9 11 8B 0E C5 41 08 08 00 96 01 B8 00 96 04
1A 68 E2 E6 0D 01 8D 01 46
End

Your macros probably won't work with this, because of the Left-left thing
So you'll need to add a Pause, between any keys that repeat like Left Left.

There is a special PAUSE just for the RCA since the RCA uses already has the a PID that we use for the standard pause, and I can't find it. Perhaps someone with a RCA remote, can provide a link.

Queeny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the macros are for toggling (TiVo) or turning on-off (TV) closed captions and for turning on-off TV speakers. I did search here and the TiVo and Harmony forums for discrete codes. I also talked to TiVo and Harmony tech support. No joy.

None of the five TV codes did anything at all.

There is no CC button on the RCA. The 00166 DVR code brought up the Now Playing List (aka List or Shows).

The TV macros do work with the added protocol. However, there is, within the limits of my handling a stopwatch and remote at the same time, no difference in speed.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queeny wrote:
The TV macros do work with the added protocol. However, there is, within the limits of my handling a stopwatch and remote at the same time, no difference in speed.
Then there is something wrong either on your end or my end, because this makes the macros 60% shorter than they were without this tweak. I don't have an RCA remote to do the testing so I was testing on my Comcast.

Queeny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I download from the remote and post a file so you can see if anything is amiss? BTW, I have not deactivated the fast macro patch.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where I goofed, but that doesn't tell me where you goofed.

I looked up TV/1250, found I had it in one of my remotes, and went from there. I found pid 01A4 and modified it. However what I didn't see is that your remote has an undocumented version of the 01A4 protocol that requires different EFC's and sends a lot more fixed data.

If your remote had accepted my upgrade, your macro would have sent gibberish.

So either you goofed, or this remote doesn't let protocols in the upgrade area over-ride built in protocols. (I sure hope it was a goof on your side). Anyway I can't modify that version of the protocol because I don't know what it looks like. So I'd like you to try TV/0150 or TV/0817 and see if either of these work with your TV. If so then we'll work on that to slow down the macros.

Queeny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded from the remote and posted the file here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8289. Perhaps it will tell you whether I goofed or whether the remote ignores the upgrade.

TV/0150 seems to work, at least for the commands in my macros. It is third on the list while 1250 is first. TV/0817 is not listed for Mitsubishi TV; the power key works but that may be the only key that does. If you need me to try them, 0093, 0178, 0836, 0868 and 1550 are also on the list.

You do mean speed up, not slow down, right?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queeny wrote:
I downloaded from the remote and posted the file here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8289. Perhaps it will tell you whether I goofed or whether the remote ignores the upgrade.

TV/0150 seems to work, at least for the commands in my macros. It is third on the list while 1250 is first. TV/0817 is not listed for Mitsubishi TV; the power key works but that may be the only key that does. If you need me to try them, 0093, 0178, 0836, 0868 and 1550 are also on the list.

You do mean speed up, not slow down, right?

TV/0150, great.

Delete the other protocol update I gave you and then add this DEVICE UPGRADE

Upgrade Code2 = 10 96 (TV/0150) TV/0150 (1150) (RM v1.98beta7)
00 0D 26 7E FC 10 00 80 00 03 FF BB AB B3 AF B7
BF B5 A3 7D 6D 59 49 53 0F 41 01 27 93
End

And this PROTOCOL Upgrade
Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 0D (S3F80) PID 00 0D (RM v1.98beta7)
47 A9 11 8B 0E C5 41 08 08 00 96 01 B8 00 96 04
1A 68 E2 E6 0D 01 8D 01 46
End

Set your TV to TV/0150

Upload to the Remote

And see if your TV Macros run faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: