JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Custom protocol w/ Wii remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Custom protocol w/ Wii remote Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been lurking here a bit but I finally caught a snag worthy of posting a topic about. I'm looking to reprogram a remote with my own protocol; however, it's reasonably important that the remote I get has multiple LEDs at the top. Can anyone recommend me a good remote to pick up? I had been looking at the URC-8820N originally, but it looks like it might only have a single LED.

Thanks!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA RCRP05B has 5 LEDs associated with 5 device buttons, It also has three phantom devices. $20.
jeajea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don’t need more than 5 devices you can get a backlit Atlas OCAP (1056) with 5 LEDs for less than $20 shipped on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320500066051
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not clear whether you are referring to DISPLAY LEDs (which the responders above have assumed) or whether you are referring to IR-TRANSMITTER LEDs.

Also not clear WHY you have this requirement. If you could amplify, perhaps more tailored responses would be forthcoming.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a JP1 Remote Reply with quote

Tuer wrote:
Hey guys, I've been lurking here a bit but I finally caught a snag worthy of posting a topic about. I'm looking to reprogram a remote with my own protocol; however, it's reasonably important that the remote I get has multiple LEDs at the top. Can anyone recommend me a good remote to pick up? I had been looking at the URC-8820N originally, but it looks like it might only have a single LED.

Thanks!

You are correct, the 8820n only has a single LED (both device LED's and IR Emitters). The Atlas and the Comcast remotes have 2 IR emitters for better IR coverage, and they have 5 and 3 device indicator LEDs. Depending on what you meant.

The 8820 has 8 device buttons, with 2 phantoms available as well. Personally I prefer the 10820n, because its clear when you pick it up, which end is the top.

I assume you know the difference between making a device upgrade and writing a new protocol. (But as a newbie, I had no idea what the difference was).

If when you say you are reprogramming the remote "with your own protocol" means that you device doesn't use a protocol recognized by the JP1 tools, there are other things to consider.

If you are going to be programming a a protocol that isn't easily produced with out assembly language, you might want to consider the chip. The 10820n is a hcs08 chip, (A jp1.2 remote) while the others you are considering are s3c8 (JP1.3 remotes). The assembly languages are quite different. Also the HCS08 has a bigger data buffer.

So how complex is the signal?

So if you can describe how complex the signal is we may be able to determine if one chip has advantages over the other.

Edit, I had lost part of my post and while I was made a modification to my answer about LED's too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:36 am; edited 3 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the questions raised by Vicky and the Capn.

1) Why do you need multiple LEDs?
2) You do mean display LEDs as opposed to IR LEDs, right?
3) When you say "protocol" you do mean "protocol" and not just a device upgrade, right?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The RCA RCRP05B has 5 LEDs associated with 5 device buttons, It also has three phantom devices. $20.
... or $7 shipped on ebay ATM.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
3FG wrote:
... or $7 shipped on ebay ATM.

I picked up a couple of these for spares the other day. You can't beat this deal.. thanks
Tuer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good responses so far. I apologize for my vague wording, so I appreciate your patience! I'll try to answer the questions brought up.

I'm referring to IR-transmitter LEDs. The reason I need this is because I'm going to be using a Wiimote to interpret the signal from the remote. It's been my experience playing with a few remotes that the Wiimote is able to pick up signals far more reliably from remotes with multiple IR-transmitter LEDs.

As for the signal, I'm really looking to produce an extremely simple signal, ie "on for a longer time, off for a very short time, repeating".

Thanks a lot again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need multiple IR-LEDs you're going to need an older remote like the 15-1994 or the 15-2116. You could get this one...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12000

When you're ready to build the protocol, we can help with that.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cable remotes like the Atlas and the Comcast 3 device remotes are flash type remotes that have 2 IR Emitters too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jeajea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlas OCAP in the eBay link I posted has two IR emitters and backlight but no learning and as I stated before is less than $20 shipped.
Tuer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, I had been attempting to use a Comcast universal remote earlier; the Wiimote picks it up great, but I read here that the type of remote (gray OK/select button) I had wasn't JP1 compatible even though it had the 6 pins inside the battery area. It seems this was the case because I was unable to download codes from it using IR.exe.

I'd prefer to stick to one of the Comcast universal remotes simply because I know it works great with the Wiimotes. Would the ones with a red OK/select button be compatible (ala here)?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Comcast remotes (red button) with a JP 1.3 interface cable all the time. But the grey button remote also works with JP1.2/1.3 interfaces. The thread you link to at RC is very old, and the JP 1 community has developed tools since that time!

The grey button is a JP1.2 remote. The red button is a JP1.3 remote.
Much older remotes (not Comcast) are JP1. Interface cables designed for JP12 or JP1.3 will work with either red or grey button remotes. A JP1 interface cable will not work.

What kind of interface cable do you have?
Tuer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I use Comcast remotes (red button) with a JP 1.3 interface cable all the time. But the grey button remote also works with JP1.2/1.3 interfaces. The thread you link to at RC is very old, and the JP 1 community has developed tools since that time!

The grey button is a JP1.2 remote. The red button is a JP1.3 remote.
Much older remotes (not Comcast) are JP1. Interface cables designed for JP12 or JP1.3 will work with either red or grey button remotes. A JP1 interface cable will not work.

What kind of interface cable do you have?

I bought this one, though I'm getting that distinctly nervous feeling that I might have wanted this one instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: