JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Ok I have a OFA URC 7781 Digital 12 remote.

Having looked it up on this site, specifiaclly the RemotesChart.xls spreadsheet I determined that this was a JP1.2 (Flash) based remote

I have now constructed Tommy's discrete component version of a JP1.2/3 (Flash) Serial interface.
(I have documented the build and if I get things working ok hope to post up)

Decided to follow the trouble shooting guide for JP1.2/3 serial interfaces, so….
Using JP1xtest I got the following result:

D:\Program Files\jp1\Tools\Jp1xtest>jp1xtest.bat

D:\Program Files\jp1\Tools\Jp1xtest>jp1xtest
jp1xtest version 0.00

**** FOUND A JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM1! ****
Signature is 11311131
Memory address is $F000
Memory size is $0C00 (3072)

D:\Program Files\jp1\Tools\Jp1xtest>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

This confused me somewhat in reporting my remote back as a JP1.x type!

Never the less ran IR.exe (8.02ver) and attempted a download. IR.exe appears to have detected the remote on the correct COM port and that it is a JP1 serial connection.

However upon trying a download the remote flashed it lights a few times then I got the message

No response from interface. Make sure the interface is connected to the PC, and that you have specified the correct port.

So now I’m concerned that I have built the wrong interface !!

Next I tested the interface with the comtest program. Reset circuit OK on RTS toggle! And loopback test of data OK!

My final test was to set IR.exe to JP1.x mode and attempt another download. And low it worked Smile , I Think Confused

Looking at the raw data tab I see that the signature and interface are correct for a URC 7781

JP1.2
I note the Processor is reported as a ‘Freescale HSC08’

All my selected devices and learned data is there. The only thing missing appears to the two macros I manually programmed.

So where do I go from here please?
Have I got the right interface for this remote?
Should I be able to communicate with IR.exe set to JP1.x
Where are my macros?

Help would be much appreciated Smile

Rgs
Steve
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of your indications are correct and fine. The interface is working correctly, as evdinced by the successful tests and more so by the successful download. JP1.2 IS A TYPE of JP1.x remote.

"JP1.x" is a shorthand term for the whole new series of JP1.1, JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes that use a Flash ROM in the processor. That is differentiated from the older style "JP1" remotes, which use a separate processor and EEPROM, and require completely different interfaces.

Where you macros "have gone" is a different question. If they are not there, then they are not there, but they should be trivial to build now that you have IR working and communicating with your remote.

If you want someone to provide specific comments about your setup, upload it to the diagnosis area of the File Section and provide a link to it here.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a hardware expert, but I do know the URC-7781 very well. So I'll do what I can to help. You wrote

Quote:
My final test was to set IR.exe to JP1.x mode

Anything you did with IR.exe and any other setting was doomed to failure. You must select JP1.x manually. OK. now you have done so. You then report that IR.exe shows

Quote:
JP1.2
I note the Processor is reported as a ‘Freescale HSC08’

Absolutely correct. Finally

Quote:
All my selected devices and learned data is there. The only thing missing appears to the two macros I manually programmed.

Do you mean you programmed these with the "long magic keypress" facility of the remote? If so, they should show up, provided that you are using the correct RDF file. I cannot see how you can be using anything else, but it is just possible. In the JP1 file section, go to Tools/RDF files and download the file called "11311131 URC-7781 map jpg rdf for IR 8.00". Unzip the downloaded file and put the .rdf file in your folder of RDF files, deleting any other file whose name begins with "11311131". See if this then makes your macros show up.

If this doesn't work, please save the upload from your remote as a ".ir" file, post it in the Diagnosis Area of the file section and put a link to it in this thread. I will then investigate what is going wrong.
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

OK

Thanks for the reply's

Ah! Using the correct RDF has solved my problems. I was thinking it could be the RDF as when I started the only one I could find (unextended) was bundelled in a zip file for Extender A1 for this remote. So im guessing it was out of date for IR8.

I've had a quick play and I can down/Upload ok Smile
So now I'm confident I have a working interface I need to work through my kit and see what I can get the remote to do.

If I get stuck I will post up my kit list for inspection.

Slightly off topic, where on here would I upload my constuction details of my interface Question Will either be MS word or a PDF.

Once again Thanks
Rgs
Steve
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Your PDF probably belongs HERE. Just click the Upload button.
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

Ok Dave,

Thanks will finish off my constuction doc and post up. Been a long time since I picked up soldering iron. but I'm quite pleased.

Rgs
Steve
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Steve

I wondered how you could have got hold of an out-of-date RDF for the URC-7781. I had forgotten that there is still one packaged with Extender A1, which came out in December 2008. Your deductions are correct. Macros in the URC-7781 use a new format that was not supported by IR.exe until version 8.00, which came out in March 2009 and which needed a new RDF to link into this new support.

I'm glad all is well now. If you really want to explore what that remote can do, then in due course you should install my extenders (A1 then A2; you need A1 installed before you can install A2). Read the manuals on them first, to see what additional features they give you. If you need help, just post a message or even send me a PM.
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I have already got your A1&A2 extenders and intend to try them out. Need to get some basics sorted out first. So building upgrades for my kit (some of it a bit old now!) list below.

TV: Sony KV-28FX20U
AMP: Yamaha DSP-A5
SAT: Sky+ (Pace v2)
Digital TV: Philips Freeview DTR-210
DVD: Daewoo DTR-10 DVD Freeview Recorder. (Tuners broken but ok as a recorder/player)
VCR: Toshiba V-851UK

Just need to build upgrades for the AMP and DVD. I have hunted around here for any upgrade's anyone else may have done but not found any for the DVD, and the closest is a DSP-A1 for the AMP. A few key moves and some missing buttons on the other devices and should be Ok. Smile

Questions:

I'm using RM to build the upgrades as KM does not appear to support the URC-7781 is this correct?

The updated RDF/map/jpg you directed me to for IR 8. Are the jpg & map supposed to be for RM? The map does not appear to line up with the JPG. I can see how the map files work and can tweak but rather not if I have the wrong one for RM.

Rgs
Steve

PS: I nice to see JP1 so active. used the old yahoo group years ago!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Yes, KM does not support the URC-7781. I don't think new remotes are being added to KM any longer. The advantage of RM is that the user can add new remotes, but where you only need the RDF to add a remote to IR.exe, you need all three files (the RDF, map and jpg files) to add one to RM. You do have the right set of files to add URC-7781 to RM.

Please don't make changes to the map file. All three files should be mutually compatible. If you think there is a problem with it, let me know and I will investigate.
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Yes your right! I must have had a duff JPG I cleaned out the images folder for RM install you IR8.0 versions and all ok. Yes RM is much better I have bulit my upgrade for the Yamaha Amp with no problems. So I don't think there are any problems with your files!

Once I'm completly happy everyting workin ok I will post up the upgrade files for the AMP and any I do for my other odd-ball kit.

Thanks again.
Steve
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Serial JP1.2/3 interface issues with URC OneForAll 7781 Reply with quote

Graham,

One question that still bugs me and part of the original reason for this post which you may be able to answer.

As I've made a JP1.2/3 Flash cable. And IR appears to detect it as such when connect to my PC. Why will it not comuncate with my 7781 remote until I manualy change IR8 to JP1.x comms mode?

Is IR8 at fault, My interface or the remote?

Rgs
Steve
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you said at one point that you were previously a user of the old Yahoo group. Did you use a USB lead for the JP1 interface at that time? If so, do you still have the Delcom driver installed on your computer? The reason that you are having to make a manual selection between JP1 and JP1.x is that IR.exe thinks you also have a JP1 interface, and the presence of a Delcom driver is enough for it to think that. There doesn't actually have to be a JP1 lead connected.

If you don't have the Delcom driver installed (or physically have a JP1 Serial or Parallel Port lead connected, which I assume you don't), IR.exe should choose JP1.x automatically. If it doesn't, and none of these reasons for it to think you have a JP1 interface apply, let me know and I will investigate further. There is nothing wrong with either your interface or the remote.
kernowkoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Laughing No It must have been nearly 10 years ago I made a parallel JP1 cable for I think a OFA-7560. Long gone! so is the PC I used way back then! I have never used any USB or parallel lead to connect to a JP1 remote on this PC.

Is there a simple way of check If for some other reason I have a Delcom driver installed? But I'm almost sure I don't.

I can't actualy recall the last time I used the serial port on this PC if ever at all!

Rgs
Steve
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I don't think new remotes are being added to KM any longer.
Not true. I do add popular remotes from time to time, and ones that are specifically requested (as long as they are fairly current models).

I'm not trying to sway anyone in favor of KM or RM; just making sure users know that they can request a remote be added to KM.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: Sorry about that. Here's a request. Can you please add the URC-7781 to KM? There have been 167 downloads of my Extender A1 and many users of remotes don't get as far as installing extenders, so by my reckoning it counts as popular, even though it is a European-only model. It would also help me to become familiar with KM if I could use it with my main remote.

Steve: I'm sorry but I appear to have misled you. My computer doesn't have either serial or parallel ports, so although I thought I knew what IR.exe tested for, I had not checked it in practice. I've now checked things on my old Win2K machine that has both a serial and a parallel port, and it is clear that IR.exe only tests for the presence of these ports, not for the presence of a JP1 lead connected to them. So the mere presence of a serial port on your computer is enough for IR.exe to give you the JP1 option as well as JP1.x, and so to require you to select JP1.x manually. Of course, you only need to do this once. The selection is remembered from one invocation of IR.exe to the next. At least, it should be. If it keeps resetting to JP1 each time you open IR.exe, let me know as it shouldn't do that.

As to how to test for the Delcom driver, though this test now seems redundant, just drop down the Interface menu in IR.exe. If "JP1 USB" is disabled (greyed) then you don't have the Delcom driver, if it is enabled then you do. You should see "JP1 Serial..." enabled, if I am right in what I said above. You need to make a manual selection between JP1 and JP1.x if any of the three JP1 menu options is enabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: