JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR.EXE Not Recognizing Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwilder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: IR.EXE Not Recognizing Remote Reply with quote

I have been working on my daughter's sytem with a URC-6012 and am now hooked. I recently purchased a 8810B from Walmart and a JP1 cable from BlueDo. I am using the cable with IR.EXE ver 4.01.0 on an HP Pavilion 540n with Windows XP Home version. Reguardless of what I do, IR gives the following response when I try to check the interface.

"Please plug the interface into the computer and the remote before proceeeding." Followed by "No response from the remote. Make sure your interface is plugged into JP1 Properly."

Changing the way the cable is plugged into the remote and/or removing one or all of the batteries changes nothing. The JP1 cable passes a conductivity check on all pins. I am using port address 378 (Which is what my Colorado Scanner and Hp Printer use, but they are disconnected for JP1 ops.) and have set xmsn delay to 400. I am the owner/ administrator of the computer and am not connected to any net, etc. The JP1 cable has the 1n5818 diode and the 1k resistor installed. I have downloaded and installed PortTalk. I have gone through all of the checks that I could as outlined in Simple Interface Rev. 5. Nothing seems to help. Could I have a bad Remote? The package was open when I purchased it, but all of the others were and it appears to control my system devices in the normal and Macro mode. What else should I try? I sure want to try JP1.

Thanks
Gene
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the cable work on your PC with your daugther's remote(the 6012)?
gwilder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,
My daughter's 6012 isnot JP1 ready as of now. No connector and no EPROM.
gENE
gwilder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to check to see if a remote JP1 interface is working other than via IR.exe?

Thanks
Gene
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IR.EXE Not Recognizing Remote Reply with quote

gwilder wrote:
"Please plug the interface into the computer and the remote before proceeeding." Followed by "No response from the remote. Make sure your interface is plugged into JP1 Properly."

Even though you're getting that message, have you tried to Download from the remote anyway (make sure Auto Check on the Interface menu is NOT selected)? Sometimes, the Check Interface will fail, but it still works.

Quote:
I am using port address 378 (Which is what my Colorado Scanner and Hp Printer use, but they are disconnected for JP1 ops.)

It's possible that the scanner (and/or printer) software is hogging the port. I have the same problem on one of my PC's using an Epson printer that the software insists must be connected to an "Epson Printer Port" instead of a standard parallel port. As long as my printer drivers are installed, my JP1 Simple interface will NOT work (my solution on this particular PC was to build the new JP1 USB interface; I've also got a couple of serial interfaces, too!).

You might want to try this: disconnect the printer and scanner, then reboot the PC. After it restarts, connect your JP1 cable and give it a try. If it works, then there's an incompatability with the drivers. If it doesn't, it could mean that there's still drivers being loaded even though the scanner and printer aren't physically attached.
gbalight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also say that while using an epson printer I've had problems interfacing with my remote through a jp1 cable. It's an epson 760 connected to a USB port, but if the printer is on, forget using the jp1 cable, and vice versa.

Incidentally, my 8810w was also open when I bought it (last one any walmart within an hour had), and a few times I thought it was the remote, but then again, I built my own cable so one of my initial problems was solved by grounding pins 18-25, instead of just pin 25.

Have you tried checking your BIOS to confirm that your parallel port is set up correctly? Some BIOS' have a plug n play OS option...you may toggle that option to see if it helps. I would definitely recommend checking out your BIOS settings. Also, have you tried setting the transmission delay to a higher number? (say 1600).

I'd pretty much bet that you are having some sort of resource conflict somehwere along the line...whether it's in the BIOS, or whether it's once windows starts. Have you checked (and shutdown) any and all TSR programs that may be related to the scanner or printer once windows is up and running?

-paul
gwilder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Paul. Idid try to download from the remote with the Auto Check off and no change in status. Ihave also booted with the scanner andthe printer disconnected with no change. I did have an Epson printer a while back, but it has been uninstall via device manager. I guess something could be left in the registry, but I do not know how to check or correct that situation. I will try the other suggestions concerning the printer and scanner and report the results.

Gene
gwilder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have implimented all of your suggestions one by one with no improvement in my situation. Unless there is something else that I should try, I guess that I have a bad remote or else should try either the serial or USB version of JP1. Which would you recommend? Is the USB version tested and fully implimented in IR? Thanks for your help.

Gene
JohnParks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had simular problems with my urc-6131. Took the batteries out and did a download and it worked. Replaced
batteries with no further problems.
gwilder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Just tried your suggestion and no joy. Thanks for the help. Iam going to try the interface on another computer with Win 98. If it works, I can rule out the remote being bad and start looking at serial or usb interfaces.

Gene
gwilder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely out at sea on this one. I tried the remote and JP1 cable out on my daughter's system (Win 98, totally diferent set of equipment, etc.) after installing a fresh IR401 and received exactly the same results. Unable to to connect and get a response from the remote. I have checked everything that has been suggested and have buzzed out the BlueDo cable to insure that it has no opens. My only assumption left is that the remote may have a bad JP1 interface. The package was open when I purchased it from Walmart and there may be a reason that it was returned. Is there any way to checkout the remote JP1 interface other than through IR401? I have ordered parts for both the serial and UBS interfaces and will try those when I can. If anyone has any other advice, please set me on the straight path.

Thanks
Gene
gwilder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS!!! It was the remote all the time. I obtained another 8810 and was able to connect on the first try. After many checks of the computer software and hardware, rebuilding the purchased JP1 cable as well as lots of hair and sleep loss. the reote interface turned out to be the problem. Exactly what the problem was will remain a mystery, but I am now ready to start the fun of JP1. Thanks for all the help from everyone. I am sure I will need to call on you guys for help again as I get further into the game.

See Ya
Gene
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwilder wrote:
SUCCESS!!! It was the remote all the time. I obtained another 8810 and was able to connect on the first try.

I'm happy to hear you got it resolved. I wonder, however, since I didn't see it mentioned here, if you tried a 981 reset on the problem remote? Sometimes, a full reset can make a difference.
gwilder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I did not try the full reset. Once I got the newer remote working, I took the old one back to Walmart and explained the problem to them so that they would not just put it back on the shelf. It may still be good, but I will never know. I am now deep into IR, KM, etc. and having fun. Once I have progressed far enough to know that I have problems, I will be back to the forum. So far, it seems reasonably straight forward.

See Ya
Gene
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: