JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA RCRP05B Not Functional After Upload

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyt8888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRP05B Not Functional After Upload Reply with quote

Hi,

I've demoted myself to Beginner status since the last programming I did, while somewhat advanced (macros, special functions, etc.), was back in 2014.

I have two identical RCA RCRP05B remotes purchased back in 2014. One was programmed for my living room setup and the other remained sealed in the bubble pack.

I downloaded the latest version of RMIR 3.0.3 and got it running with my FTDI USB - Serial cable. It took four different adapters before finding one that worked, but that is another story.

Anyway, I downloaded the code from my functional living room remote and then uploaded it to the factory fresh one. I got double led flashes for each operation. I know the upload was successful since I can shut everything down and then download the code from the 2nd remote and it downloads correctly.

However, the 2nd remote does not function correctly.

Is there a key sequence I must do to boot the remote to use the newly uploaded code, maybe a press of the power button? I seem to remember this from before but I can't find any mention of it in the docs. Or should it work right off. I tried power cycling the remote to no avail.

TIA for your help,
Bob
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you save an RMIR file from the 2nd remote before you overlaid it? If so, try reloading that to see if it fixes it.

You don't need to "activate" an upload, but if something got corrupted, you might need to do a factory reset on the remote. If this remote uses 9xx commands, do a 981 reset on it.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have been using the RCRP05B extender. I'm not positive, but I don't think you can just copy from one remote to the other without first installing and activating the extender.
bobbyt8888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Mark, thanks for your replies.

Rob, yes I saved the factory RMIR file and yes, I was able to do a 981 reset. As an experiment, I set the TV device to 0812 and it controlled my Samsung TV properly. I then downloaded the remote to RMIR and did a 981 reset. As expected, it stopped controlling the TV.

I upload the stored setup to the remote and once again, it correctly controlled the TV. This tells me that the download / upload process is working.

Mark, you may have identified the problem since I was most definitely using the extender (RCA RCRP05B extender v1.05) in my living room remote. I can't recall how I install and activate the extender. Is that installed directly to the remote or in RMIR?
bobbyt8888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now know that to activate the extender, one must press TV-OK. When I upload my living room code to the remote and activate the extender, I get the 4 led flashes and the remote operates correctly.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably be back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: