JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp1 usb - can't get ANY driver to work
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momnatur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: jp1 usb - can't get ANY driver to work Reply with quote

Bought one of Tommy's jp1 jobbers last year and have been sitting on it all this time. Now I have a new tv and need to doctor my old remotes.

I've tried all three of the drivers listed in the first post with no luck. The newest gives me a bsod dump and for the other two the system reports that there isn't' a driver available for my device.

I'm using XP Pro / SP3 on my desktop and Vista on my laptop.

I'm really at witts end and am facing the possibility of not being able to use the cable at all.

One of my questions is what kind of "device" should the "driver software" be looking for? Does this jp1 thing produce some sort of "signature" that might not be listed in these driver's .inf?

Also, I've noticed that some driver's zip files include two .inf files and some don't? What might the difference be between the two and will the system not load a driver if the <driver>1.inf file doesn't exist?

Please please, someone help me out. And go lightly on the jp1 lingo, I'm a complete novice with this. (I have a bit more experience when it comes to computer technology, though.)

Thanks to everyone, in advance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which cable did you get exactly, JP1 USB or JP1.x? Assuming you have JP1 USB (marked simply "JP1" on the plug), THIS one has the best chance of working. Unzip it somewhere and point the installer to it when you plug it in. It's also more likely to work in XP. Then make sure you pick the JP1 USB Interface in IR.

Make sure to remove the old driver completely (including the oemxx.inf file windows makes, if you can find it) before trying this one.

If it's JP1.x, you can use the latest FDTI driver or the one built into the OS.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1 (EEPROM) cable doesn't work in Vista 64 or Win7, since Delcom decided not to update the driver for the USB IO chip used in that interface.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: jp1 usb - can't get ANY driver to work Reply with quote

momnatur wrote:
Also, I've noticed that some driver's zip files include two .inf files and some don't? What might the difference be between the two and will the system not load a driver if the <driver>1.inf file doesn't exist?

- Delcom set of drivers for JP1 remotes, EEPROM kind, have one .inf file for the USB port.

- FTDI set has two .inf files one for USB serial converter, and one for USB serial port. When installed you'll see, in devices, one under COM ports, one under USB devices. FTDI drivers are for JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes.
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: pulling my hair out... Reply with quote

Ok, I tried to install the Delcom 3/3/07 driver again and again got a bsod half way through the install.... so here is the jist of the failure for those of you who can make any sense of it (not I.)

"
Error code 1000007e,
parameter1 c0000005,
parameter2 a59bb084,
parameter3 f78caa90,
parameter4 f78ca78c.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xa6549084, 0xf78caa90, 0xf78ca78c). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP."

The Memory dump did not seem to help me either, but if someone wants me to post that, I'll be glad to.

Elizabeth, the file USBIODS_1p0p5001p6 included USBIODS.inf and USBIODS1.inf; that came directly from Delcom.

Capn, the only reason why I even mentioned Vista is because some have said that they could run this thing without installing any drivers on Vista.

So, Dave, what is this OEMxxxx file that I might be able to find if I had any idea what I might be looking for?

It appears that when the cable is plugged in, it is trying to install a USB IO Controller. ????

Ok, I remember that when I last ran this track I had found some sort of log where I was reading each step that was taken based on the lines in the .inf but I can't remember what that file was, where it was or whether I kept it. Maybe that could give us a clue as to what the bleep is happening here.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no possibility of a driverless install for this cable on Vista. There is for the JP1.x cable, but not JP1.

There's not much to the install. There's only a .inf and a .sys. The .sys gets copied to windows/system32 (I think) and a few registry keys get written. Also a copy of the inf file is made in the windows\inf folder and named oemxx.inf, where xx is some number. If you remove and reinstall, windows tries to use this oem file it made. So for a clean install, find the sys file and delete it, and find the oem file and delete it. There are probably several you need to delete considering all the different versions you've tried. If you can find the registry keys, delete them too. But thats usually not necessary. To find the oem file, you can sort by date and look at some of the newest ones. Open each one until you find the one with the same contents as the delcom inf file, then delete that file.

You don't want to let it go thru any kind of automatic driver install. Make sure you choose exactly what driver to install and point it just to your inf file.

I've never had the delcom driver bluescreen on me, so I don't know what to telll you. I've had them just not work, but never crash like that.

And just to make sure we're on the same page, please confirm whether you have a JP1 or a JP1.x cable. Given what you've said about the USB IO Controller, it sounds more like JP1.x. Also tell us what model remote you're trying to use the cable with.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momnatur,
Please answer mdavej's question : which "JP1 jobber" do you have? Is it designed to plug into a USB port? If so, what is written on it-- JP1 or JP1.2/3?

These two interfaces have a different internal design with different chips, and they require different drivers. Let's make sure that you're trying to install the correct driver. Otherwise you could spend a lot of time strugglig with installation issues, only to find that a perfect install of the drivers had no chance of working with your interface.

Edited to say: posted at the same time as mdavej's post. I'm not trying to pile on!
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: jp1 usb Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
momnatur,
Please answer mdavej's question : which "JP1 jobber" do you have? Is it designed to plug into a USB port? If so, what is written on it-- JP1 or JP1.2/3?

These two interfaces have a different internal design with different chips, and they require different drivers. Let's make sure that you're trying to install the correct driver. Otherwise you could spend a lot of time strugglig with installation issues, only to find that a perfect install of the drivers had no chance of working with your interface.

Edited to say: posted at the same time as mdavej's post. I'm not trying to pile on!

it is a jp1.... see the very top of my first post. unfortunately, I am struggling with the correct driver. so sorry
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: baby steps Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for your prompt reply and for clarifying things for me.

Ok, I've already confirmed that there are no registry keys left over. I was doing that while you were writing.

The cable says JP1 and has only one light which is on the right as you read JP1 on the body of the usb connector.

I have uic 8080, 8800 and rs 15-1995 and 15-1918, all of which, I believe are the jp1 eeprom remotes. I think I had checked that with Tommy before I purchased the cable.

I'll be back after I attach the Windows tree....

How much disk space would you think I need to install this driver?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can assume from momnatur's posts that he has one of Tommy's "USB JP1 (EEPROM) Interface Cables".

She appears to be using the 3/3/2007 driver found here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10146

If I'm wrong momnatur, please correct the info.

Have you tried using the 02/12/2008 version of the driver? This user says that was the right driver for him using the 32-bit version of Vista.

Also, you mentioned two PCs in your opening post (one with XP and another with Vista), could you please specify which one you were using when you got the errors that you reported. We also need to know whether you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vista, because we know for certain that the Delcom driver doesn't work with 64-bit OS.

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

BSOD with dump... (oh goodie, more corrupt files!)

I think that I need to backtrack and remove all the unsuccessful OEM### files before I try to install again.

Maybe you would know... I was reading a rather large file that seemed to have a blow by blow account of what happened up till the point when it crashed with bsod. Some sort of log file although I can't tell you whether it was a .log. You have any idea which/what/where that file might be?

Oh, and Rob, I'm a fee-person... not a he-person.... Wink

Forgot to answer a couple of your questions:

I assume that I have 32 bit Vista because it is something like Vista home premium or some such.

But it is my XP desktop that is driving me crazy with all the errors. Might it be a disk space issue? How much free space would I need for this install??
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: crazier and crazier.... Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
There's not much to the install. There's only a .inf and a .sys. The .sys gets copied to windows/system32 (I think) and a few registry keys get written. Also a copy of the inf file is made in the windows\inf folder and named oemxx.inf, where xx is some number .... There are probably several you need to delete considering....

Now I'm really confused.. I ran two searches on my C: (active) drive (I download to D:)
USBIODS.sys - none found
and oem*.inf which I sorted by date... and the most recent file is from November... I started playing with the cable after Christmas.

According to what you were saying, there should be something there from the two bombs I had today. Am I missing something

Last edited by momnatur on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is only 10kb, so I can't imagine space would be an issue. The sys file is a system type file and wouldn't show up in a search by default. You have to go in the advanced settings tell it to look for system files, and make sure system files are not hidden in your file explorer.

Are you an admin on xp (and/or vista)? If not, you may not have the proper permissions to install a driver. The BSOD makes me think there are bigger issues we may not be able to solve here. I'd abandon that effort for now and try vista if I were you.

I've reinstalled many, many times over the years trying to get different versions to work on different computers, and I've actually never seen a case where the driver wouldn't install at all. I've seen it not perform correctly, but never fail to install. So I really can't explain what's going on in your case.

If all else fails, and you still have a parallel JP1 cable, we can definitely get that going in xp or vista with a parallel card. PM me if you want one cheap.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had BSOD during installation of the Delcom drivers on XP several times, the same stop error blaming USBIODS.sys.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67409#67409

Few sketchy notes from my experience, but these were just notes I jotted down, so that's all I have:
- think with the cable connected, I uninstalled the drivers using device manager.
- I also used their Remove.exe which hardly removed anything.
- Booting to last good config was of no help.
- In safe mode cleaned out the registry totally of every instance where the Delcom pid was. There were multiple

instances in several Control Sets, search for "USB\VID_0FC5&PID_1222" at least in the Current Control set.
Some of these numbers will vary as the cable moves from port to port Sad
Search for ClassGUID {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000} and under it for USBIODS.sys and throw'm out.
- When all cleaned out, start over.
- After drivers installed, remove the cable before rebooting.
- Files that are active
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBIODS.sys is v3.1.0.0 is in currently.
C:\WINDOWS\Inf should have one Delcom oemXX.inf which includes the classID and PID numbers I listed above.

Once those 2 are correct, when plug in the cable after rebooting, the v3 drivers work.
Not reliably (misses packets), but no more BSOD.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all keep mentioning Vista. IMHO, With Windows 7 released, there is no reason for anyone in his (or her) right mind to continue putting up with Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: