JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR: Prototype IR function in RM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Rob: Yes, I'm open to suggestions but I should like to pause for a while. I've had an intensive time doing this latest work to the exclusion of most other things, as it keeps things in the mind to work like that, but I'm going to take another break. I'll regard your list as a "wish list" for v2.03 if that's OK.

Sure thing, no problem. I can tell you've put some time into this and it's looking great.

mathdon wrote:
that document only seems to apply to S3C80, though I know the HCS08 is very similar. I've been looking for the same for the other processors. The 740 and 6805-C9 seem very different.

I would regard those processors as very low priority, if I were you. UEI hasn't made a remote that uses them in a very long time, so the chances of us really needing to write executors for those remotes is very remote (no pun intended). But yes, UEI hadn't quite got their act together yet, as far as standardising the engine, when they were using those processors. Now, even if the processor changes from S3F8 to something else (and there's a rumour that it might), I would not expect those data bytes to change, as they are not processor dependant. The most I would expect is if they added functionality to them.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Now, even if the processor changes from S3F8 to something else (and there's a rumour that it might), I would not expect those data bytes to change, as they are not processor dependant. The most I would expect is if they added functionality to them.
While they may not be processor dependant, they have been hardware dependant ever since the 6805-RC16/18 engine. For example, burst on/off times are stored such that the values are ready to hand off to the IR hardware. Even in the case of the S3C80 vs. the HCS08, where the values are very similar, there are subtle differences in maximum values, etc. What I would expect to see if a change to a new processor is made is that the values will match the requirements of the IR hardware. The function may remain the same, but the actual values may be different.

As for the older 740 & 6805-C9 processors, I agree. What I managed to put into PB is probably sufficient, and has served us well so far. In writing executors for all the different processors, what I often find is that you simply cannot create one for one or both of these two because of other limitations (executor size, for example).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't really talking about the burst times, I was talking about the data that ends up in R28, R29, etc in the S3C8, whatever we're calling that data.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I wasn't really talking about the burst times, I was talking about the data that ends up in R28, R29, etc in the S3C8, whatever we're calling that data.

OK, it's the bits in the five (max) protocol format PFn values that you want documented, not the more numerous PDnn, and only for the "later" processors for which they seem to have become stable. I'll look into that, but probably for v2.03. After a night's sleep, however, I've decided that for v2.02 I will look into the easier options you have suggested, though not for a few days. Greg, hold off on v2.02 again till I say OK.

[Note from Rob]
DecodeIR conversation split off to here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13384
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded RM/RMIR v2.02 Alpha 10.

The changes for Alpha 10 are:

• Add checkboxes to disassembler to select whether or not to use predefined constants (Graham)
  • Add radio buttons to disassembler to select display format for S3C80 working registers (Graham)
  • Save states of checkboxes and radio buttons in properties file between invocations (Graham)
  • Add button to hide/show upper left panel of Manual Settings, to make more space available for protocol data panel (Graham)
  • Add register addresses to pf and pd annotations in disassembly comments column (Graham)
  • Add a third tab, "PF Details", in Manual Settings to show interpretation of PF bytes bit by bit, for S3C80 and HCS08 only (Graham)
  • In the Device Upgrade editor (Greg):

• Rename the Load button to Open, changed the mouse-over text to "Open a (RM or KM) device upgrade file."
    • Rename the Import button to Paste, changed the mouse-over help to "Paste a (RM, KM or IR) device upgrade from the clipboard.", enhanced to accept IR-formatted upgrades containing Device Upgrade and Protocol Upgrade text
    • Rename the Save button to "Save as..."

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys spying on me? Again the update came out on the same day that I installed the previous version. Laughing

I have a question on the Manual Settings screen. It used to be that when you went to this screen and [Import Protocol Upgrade] button was enabled when you first entered. Now you have to touch the Protocol Code box to enable the the [Import Protocol Upgrade]. Is this by design or just a side effect from the major changes that this screen has gone through.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg,
Personally, I find the concept of having to have something in the clipboard before you click a button to do something to be counter-intuitive, I would prefer to have a pop-up box where you have to paste data in, like you have for the Import Raw Upgrade function. Would it be possible to have something similar for the new functionality mentioned here?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. What is the difference between the Edit Protocol and the New Manual Protocol on the Advanced Menu? I'm unsure and kind of frightened about what to do when an official protocol shows up in the screen. I want to know if I might get myself in trouble with the new option.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've tried to make the Paste button too flexible.
Right now it needs to have the data already in the clipboard to determine what to do. Is the data an RM device upgrade, a KM device upgrade or an IR device upgrade (with optional protocol upgrade)?

It probably makes sense to limit this to IR-formatted upgrades, since RM and KM upgrades are always posted as files, rather than embedded in posts as text. In that case I could just pop-up the Import Raw Upgrade dialog, so that you could then copy'n'paste there. If, at the time the Paste button is clicked, there is data in the clipboard that looks like an IR formatted device upgrade, I could pre-fill the fields in the dialog. Also, instead of forcing the user to copy'n'paste the device and protocol code individually, pasting into any field could check if the clipboard data is an IR formatted upgrade (rather than just hex code) and update all the fields appropriately.

How does that sound?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, RM/RMIR v2.02 Alpha 10a.

The changes are pretty much what I already described:

• Rename the Paste button "Import Raw", and the mouse-over help to
    "Import a Raw (or IR-formatted) device upgrade from the clipboard. Pressing this button will simply pop up the Import Raw Upgrade dialog.
  • The Import Raw Upgrade dialog will prefill its fields if it finds an IR formatted upgrade in the clipboard. Pasting an IR formatted upgrade into either the device or protocol code fields will parse the upgrade and update the appropriate fields in the dialog.

Basically this way if you already have the IR formatted upgrade in the clipboard when you click "Import Raw" it'll use it (avoiding the need to paste), but if not you can copy'n'paste into either code area after the dialog is already visible.

Of course you can still paste raw hex into those fields, one at a time if all you have is a truly raw upgrade.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a way to change the PID for an upgrade using a custom protocol. It used to be that we could change the PID on the manual settings page. Now if I open an upgrade with a custom protocol, there is no way to change the PID before pasting it into IR.

Most of the upgrades with a custom protocol have a PID of 01 FF. If a user needs two of these upgrades, they need to be able to change the PID before pasting it into IR.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been checking out the PRIMACY and found that the setting is being saved from one instance to the next. I'd like to submit a request that this default to OBC each time a new instance of RM or RMIR is started.

Preserving the OBC is what you want it to do most of the time. Its only when you are doing protocol development that you want to preserve the HEX/EFC.

BTW: I really like being able to see the decode. One of the biggest problems I have with PB is that sometimes I don't have the right data on the clipboard and I paste and or import and nothing gets changed. In IR I always look for the change to show up in the decode and now I can do it in RM too. Thanks for that.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I have checked out the new load/paste pop-up screen and I like it. I do have one minor suggestion though. Given that the program will grab whatever's in the clipboard before it opens the UI, I think it would be a good idea to have a CLEAR button on the UI for cases where the clipboard contained something other than the upgrade that I actually wanted to paste into the UI. Would that be possible?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that's easy. It'll be in the next available version. In the meantime, if you select all in the Upgrade Code or Protocol Code text areas before pasting, that will accomplish the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 43 of 59

Jump to: